Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

Motor cycle accident

Teddy da Bear

I might not be able to type here too welll...

I just had a motorcycle accident about 2 hours ago.

Busted up my elbow and wrist. Lots of cuts and skin missing... (I will look for it later when it is light).

I imagine it is going to stiffen up. Don't know if I can type well then.

I just wanted to work on my tractors..nott this..

Wife is learning to ride her scooter.. The law says I have to accompany her.

So I ride along side her when she goes to work each day.

At 4 this morning we were traveling down the road at about 40mph and a raccoon darted out in the street. I saw him coming and swerved. He just met my front tire like he was commiting suicide. I dropped like a stone to the pavement. (a 300lb. stone with a 500lb bike) I could feel myself rolling over and over so I went flat. That was where my clothes and skin started to dissapear. I think a few tonails too. Blew my shoes right off.

My poor wife was following me... She saw what happened and swerved to avoid me skidding down the road. She landed in the tall grass in the ditch.

She got the wind knocked out of her and a cut across her nose.

Weird thing......her scooter front is destroyed. My scooter has only a few small scratches even after travelling 60 feet or more down the pavement. Those steel passenger foot rests I made saved the bike for me!

My wife said she saw sparks. I could not figure out what would have made the sparks. But when I got it home and looked in the light...the foot rest bolt was sheared and then I knew what happened.

I hope I can still keep up with you guys. So much to work on in those tractors.

I will be ok... Just going to feel this later...

T-Mo

Mike,

I just read about your accident in the main section on the GT thread. I posted there, but I will here also. I hope you're both okay. Sounds like it could have been worse for you both. The damage the scooters had is insignificant to any injuries you and your wife may have. Take care, okay. B)

perry

hate to hear about this mike. glad to hear you and your wife are ok. hope you'all get to feeling better.

KyBlue

Im with the rest... I hate to hear of any accident but at least you managed to limp away so to speak - which is always a good thing.

I hope you and the wife have a speedy recovery, the scooters can be fixed/replaced, you and your wife cant.

linen beige

As any pilot will tell you, any landing you can walk away from is a good one. Godspeed Mike.

Brrly1

Mike I have to agree the road rash will heal. Its just a real good thing that there was no oncoming traffic or things like that. Heck you wife might not had been able to get to the ditch and could have possibly taken you out. And when a scooter hits a 300lbs. boulder well she would have really been hurt. The only reason I posted this is to try and get you to smile just a little bit. Once you go down like this you will remember it forever. I have been there done that. The people driving the car will not forget me either. I was not to polite when I climbed back up to my feet and was still alive. I think they were hoping that I would have been hurt for the azz chewing they got. Get well soon both your wife and you. We don't want them horse's to get lonely. Burly

kpinnc

I certainly have to agree with everyone Mike. I hate you guys got bumped up, but I'm glad to hear that was all.

Try and take it easy. Those old horses will still be there when you're all healed up.

Kevin

Teddy da Bear

the scooters can be fixed/replaced, you and your wife cant.
You mean that the Doc does not have a service manual to cover a husband and wife??? That is discouraging!

This is my second animal run-in in a year. I hit a medium sized deer last year about this same time. I hit her broadside at about 45mph and never went down. These raccoons are tough! Strange to think how a medium sized one put me down so fast!

I am not feeling too bad yet. Had 8 aspirin. It might be a different story in the morning.

I have been trying to keep my arms mobile so they don't stiffen up. I know a doctor would put my wrist and arm in a cast and that would be the worst. It would be stiff and useless.

Thanks for your kind comments and thanks for not asking for pictures like with the tractors!!!!

I will try to keep up with you....it is pretty good therapy!

nylyon

Hope you recover quickly!

Sparky

Dang! That sucks Mike. But if you and the wife are still here to tell the story then I guess thats good news.

I hope you and the wife have a speedy recovery.

Mike...........

PS...hows the "coon" B) ?

big mike

Mike,good to hear you and your wife are ok....well not ok but better than the alternative.The bikes can be replaced but you to cannot.

Hope you heal up soon so you can get back to Horsin around.

pond195520032003

Mike, there isent much i can add to all that has already been said B) all i can say is im glad you and your wife are doing good B) and hope for a speedy recovery :whistle:

Kelly

Glad to hear no major problems, hope you both heal soon.

Teddy da Bear

PS...hows the "coon" rolleyes.gif
He did not fair as well. Apparently killed the poor thing. He is laying down the street about a 1/4 mile.

You know.....that is the second thing I thought of when I was laying there in the dark. If that racoon is alive and ticked off......he is going to come down here and chew on me as I lay here dazed!

Thank you all for your kind thoughts.

I am feeling better than expected. Wife is feeling worse. She hurt both of her wrists and they are black and blue.

illinilefttackle

:whistle: Mike-sorry to hear of your mishap. Unfortunately those coons can be too big to miss sometimes. But you sound like a tough guy-you will need to be for your wife-comfort her, it sounds like you both really got banged up. The man up stairs just decided it wasn't your time, sometimes he just warns us of what "could" happen. Good Luck to you both!-AL B)

Teddy da Bear

Thank you Al...

Nice of you to wish us well.

I have been working like a beaver here this morning.

Got up at 4:00 this morning. Pushed tractors out to my one covered trailer.

Pushed one in and put the deck on it that belongs to it.

Got my electric horse unloaded and then reloaded in that trailer.

Going to try to jam 3 in there so I have room to work in the garage.

Watered the garden.....and pine trees.

Put a big freezer in the basement for my wife.

Picked some veggies.

Walked the three dogs.

I can't walk too well.....my feet are on fire. Can't get on my elbow.....there are goose eggs on each. Can't get on my knees same story..

Hey Al.....wanna take the deck of the GT-14 for me?? B)

I guess I have that "glad to be alive" energy today.

nhwheelhorse

well that is not good but glad to see you are both doing ok. i have had two bikes on my front lawn in the last month alone and well one guy scared the wife. how can i say this nicely ? taking a corner at 65 when it is not really doable at 30 yeah you get the point.the lawn saved the bike but not one guy two arms broke 2 legs done and well not going to be walking any time soon. sob killed the cat to when the bike landed on it. well glad to here you are ok again and i will check with the emt med whatever she is wife . she gave me some stuff they use at the er adnit helped with the movement. plus lots of ice and keep elevated. B)

Teddy da Bear
I hate raccoons
I am just not like that. God loves all creatures great and small.....I guess me too. Broke my heart to have taken the life of that racoon. I know it does not make sense to most....but that is the way I am.

rondo

I am just not like that. God loves all creatures great and small.....I guess me too. Broke my heart to have taken the life of that racoon. I know it does not make sense to most....but that is the way I am.

I'm exactly the same, Mike, but to be real...at least you're in one piece (albeit somewhat less than you were before and still kickin', so to speak). God speed, sir.

Teddy da Bear

Thank you again for the kind thoughts and words folks.

I kinda hurt myself again today working on the GT-14.

I was putting a plow on it and was trying to lay down and hook up the mid-lift link. I ended up kicking the plow edge with my scabby foot. :whistle: I bet they heard me scream in the u.p. of Michigan.

Then climbing aboard I hit the same foot same place on the edge of the fender as I was swinging my leg over. I almost past out!

I am sitting still right now.....don't know what will happen next..... B)

Curmudgeon

I THOUGHT I heard something Mike!!!!!!!!

How are things today?

Funny how things change, 35 years ago it was, "To heck with me, I'll heal, how's the bike???" Now it's a slightly different order of things.....

MaineDad

Mike - Maybe you should try to rest for a bit and let yourself heal. I know you want to keep moving, but your body may need the healing time. I have had 9 surgeries on my right knee and pushed myself too early after the first few. I would go out in the garage and try to take off the plow etc. and pay for it later.

I am very glad to hear you and your wife are OK. I hope you have a good speedy recovery - Sorry to sound like a big brother or something B)

Teddy da Bear

No worries Dad....I could use a big brother to keep me out of trouble.

I am getting better Dale.....wife is feeling worse each day.

She says her head feels funny and she thinks she has a mild concussion.

I don't think so....she had no impact. I think she has post traumatic stress.

But I am continuing working on the GT-14. Graded the slag in the drive...did really well. I think it actually has some down pressure.