Sign in to follow this  
Underdawg

Wheel size difference between C-series and B-series

Underdawg

Hi, new here however I have come digging around this site for information in the past (I could have sworn I had an account at one time).  I'm looking for information on the tire size for C-series and B-series tractors. Is there a good source for that information online? Specifically I'm looking for information on the tire sizes (front and back) for the following:

1978 C Series Garden Tractor C-101

8-Speed/ 10hp Kohler

1976 B Series Garden Tractor B-80

8-Speed / 8hp Kohler 

I don't own a Wheel Horse however I keep Dad's C-series running. Also: does anyone know when Wheel Horse switched from the cushioned 2 spoke steering wheel on the 76-B80 to the three spoke un-cushioned steering wheel the is on the 1978 C-101? 

Save Old Iron

tire size should be listed in the "b series c series" op manual 

search / download in the manuals section of this site

Underdawg

I could not find the tire size listed in the manual for the 1976 B80 however the manual for the 1978 C101 says the following:

1978 C-Series:16 X 6:50-8 rear / 23 X 8:50-12 front

1978 B-81: 13 X 5:00-6 rear/ 18 X 8:50-8 front

With the exception of engine and wheel size,  what were the significant differences between the 8 speed "C" and "B" series for any given year? 

SousaKerry

Some tractors had a lighter duty uni-drive.  This is easy to spot as the axle shafts are 1" instead of 1-1/8".  That's about it other then a few options.

Tankman

I noticed, your front and rear tire sizes are reversed.

I consider the B series, a riding mower.

C series, a garden tractor.

rmaynard

The simple answer is that both use the same tires. Front are 16 x 6.50 x 8, and rears are 23 x 8.50 x 12. Some B-80's and B-100's had 22.5 x 7.50 x 12, but most that I have seen were equipped with 23 x 8.50 x 12, probably because 22.5 x 7.50 tires were discontinued. The rear rims for the B-80 and C-101 were 12 x 7.

Underdawg

I noticed, your front and rear tire sizes are reversed.

I consider the B series, a riding mower.

C series, a garden tractor.

I'm curious to know why the distinction (riding mower vs. garden tractor)? I'm not questioning this as much as asking why? When I looked at the specs for transmissions on the 1976 B80 and the 1978 C101 they appeared the same, both with the larger 1-1/8" mentioned by "Sousakerry2" above and both are 8spd.  Other than hp, I'm hard pressed to distinguish a difference between the two. The B80 does not appear diminutive in any way other than hp. At least not from the little that I could find. So from my limited exposure to this (yes, ignorance) all I can surmise is that "C" is a garden tractor and "B" is a riding mower because.........?? 

Wyattrrp

As SOI said, look up the specs listed in the operating manuals for each model.  Generally the C outweighs the B by 125 to 250 lbs, gas tank is 2x the size, tranny holds more fluid, and overall the C is a larger tractor made for earth plowing, tilling, snow plowing etc and the B is more suited for lawn care.

rmaynard

The "B" series from 1974 to 1977 were every bit as much of a garden tractor as the "C" series. The only difference being that the "B" series did not have lights as standard equipment. After 1977, The "B" series began to be downgraded to be more of a lawn tractor with Briggs engines and Peerless or Foote transmissions.

Underdawg

As SOI said, look up the specs listed in the operating manuals for each model.  Generally the C outweighs the B by 125 to 250 lbs, gas tank is 2x the size, tranny holds more fluid, and overall the C is a larger tractor made for earth plowing, tilling, snow plowing etc and the B is more suited for lawn care.

I tried to find the weight for a 1976 B80 with the 8hp Kohler (or even the 10hp Kohler version) however the spec was not in the owner's manual. In the more recent vintage I could find a spec that says the c81 weighs 540 pounds. The B and C series share the same 45.5" wheel base and same 65" length. The heights do vary (37" vs 41") but I'm assuming that is just the rubber. I have never seen a 1978 "C" next to a 1976 B80.  The transmission for the 1976 B10 (61-08K803) is listed as "103907"  with the 8hp Kohler K181S-30629D engine. 
The 1978 C81 has K181S-30700D 8hp Kohler and "103916" transmission.  Is there "125 to 250 lbs" difference between the 1003916 transmission and the 103907? When I compared the 1976 B and C series they all shared the same exact transmission. In 1978 the B-Series switched to the "Peerless" transmission that was previously seen in the "A" series. I'm still looking but I have not found justification for "Wyattrap" and "Tankman's" declaration that a 1976 B10 is outspec'd by a "C" with similar hp.  
Maybe the frame on the "C" or the front end is comprised of a heavier steel with beefed up components? I suppose that could a difference that might escape the uniformed. 

Underdawg

The "B" series from 1974 to 1977 were every bit as much of a garden tractor as the "C" series. The only difference being that the "B" series did not have lights as standard equipment. After 1977, The "B" series began to be downgraded to be more of a lawn tractor with Briggs engines and Peerless or Foote transmissions.

Ok, thankyou. This is consistent with the information that is available.

Companies sometimes create two almost identical products and then market them differently in order to gain access to a larger audience of consumers. Is that why Wheel Horse created the "B" and "C" from 1974 until 1977? They wanted a broader product range to compete in the "lawn tractor" and "garden tractor" segments? Why did so many things in the Wheel Horse lineup change in 1978? That seems to be a pivotal year.  What was going on? 

papaglide

I can't speak of post 1977 tractors but my 1975 B-80 is most definitely a garden tractor. The tractor has no problem pulling a 10" or 8" plow through my garden or pulling a disc through my garden. She plows snow all winter without a hiccup. She is definitely NOT a "lawn tractor". She is one tough son of a gun!!

Racinbob

rmaynard is right on the money as usual. My 76 did have the 22.750 rear tires instead of the 23.850. I changed them and used the smaller ones on a Commando 800 restore. The headlight kit was easy to get back then. I ultimately put a K341 on it and it was the real worker in my stable on 26 acres.

meadowfield

Wasn't the B a short frame also?

Underdawg

Wasn't the B a short frame also?

The 1978 "B" and "C" series share the same 45.5" wheel base and same 65" length.  I cannot find a spec for the length of the earlier "B" and "C" series.  I did find some forum discussion references to a "shorter B" frame length however those posts did not include any specifics. The turning diameter listed for the tractors sometimes varies slightly but that might be attributed to slightly different tire size.