Sign in to follow this  
c175inMA

Sundstrand Hydrogear leak and ATF?

c175inMA

Hi all, I have a Bronco 14 which sat for a while. I got it running and within the first minute of driving the transmission started leaking fluid. It leaked a steady stream of fluid. The leak appears to be from where the speed control goes into the pump. Does anyone know where I can get parts? I believe there are a couple of o-rings that need to be replaced. Anyone done this before? The other thing i noticed when i removed the transmission and drained the fluid was that it had what appears to be ATF in it, not oil. Would running ATF in the transmission hurt it? Should i clean it out and use oil or continue with ATF? If i clean it out how would be the best way to do it? I also need to replace an axle seal so what i really need is a parts supplier right now, but any input would be great. I believe that transmission model is 90-2046. Thank you all in advance. Paul

Martin

much has been written and discussed on this subject......

heres some reading, im sure you will find all the info you need...

c175inMA

Thank you for those links. I did do a search but i guess i didn't look hard enough. Does anyone know about the automatic transmission fluid? If it's not hurting anything i'd just leave it and not bother cleaning out the whole system.

c175inMA

Alright i did some more research and found out that either will work. Thanks for your help. 

Martin

yes, either atf or oil will work, just don't mix the two of them. if you have atf in there now i would top it off with that. unless you want to flush the whole system stick with the atf......

wh79d160

I believe the speed control seal is actually a regular seal. I got numbers off of mine & got one from my bearing supplier.

oaktown1987

those do take atf

Kevbo

In my 1075 I have a Sundstrand transmission as well. Mine too came with ATF. I recommend draining the fluid, replacing the filter, and replace with Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF. After you get the leaks fixed of course! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Mobil-Mobil1-ATF_zps4d5807e3.jpg

See thread:

Edited by Kevbo