Sign in to follow this  
nylyon

Dang truck!

nylyon

Well, the only thing I don't like about buying pre-owned vehicles is the possibility of a problem. Today the Ford threw a code, P2285. Turns out it's a problem with the ICP sensor which is $140 or so, and an associated pigtail to fix it for good. Looking it up, this is a common issue with the earlier 6.0's. Looks like I'll be getting a little dirty soon (probably next week). Oh well... I still got a good deal on the truck.

KyBlue

ICP??

Well I hope its a easy fix for ya. Ive got to swing mine by the dealer, Im loosing coolant.. Cross your fingers its the heads!!

BairleaFarm

Come on Ford bay. Thats the Injector Control Pressure Switch

nylyon

Found a brand new one for $50, makes me a little happier, still not looking forward to putting it in though.

Nick

Not sure if it will help you any but found these pages on the ICP sensor. B)

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/729593-icp-sensor.html

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f50/ho...ictures-172279/

My brother was mentioning yesterday that a friend was going to help put head studs in one of the diesels. To do that ya have to remove the trucks cab. :whistle:

nylyon

Thanks Nick, I am going to see if I can get to it from the bottom first, if that doesn't work out I'll need to go in from the top. Still not looking forward to this work

KyBlue

My brother was mentioning yesterday that a friend was going to help put head studs in one of the diesels. To do that ya have to remove the trucks cab. B)

You CAN do it w/o pulling the cab. however its more of a PITA to do that way.

nylyon

Well, I picked up a sensor on eBay for $50 and this morning set about replacing it. It took abour 2 hours, mostly me just lying under the truck wondering why I decided to do this. Finally I got all my tools together and started the project. The difficult part was getting that heat shield off, that took about 1 1/2 hours and lots of blood lost. Finally got it off, had to cut a perfectly good 1 1/16" socket so I would have room, but the sensor came out in about 1 minute. Put the new one in put the heat shield back and all is well in Powerstroke land.

B) :whistle:

TT

I'm certainly glad to hear that, Karl! :banana:

I remember when I decided to change the heads on my Explorer instead of paying someone else to do it. It took a long time for me to loosen that first bolt, but a few days later when it was running again (and the coolant was staying where it was supposed to) I felt really good.

I'm not afraid to tackle most any repair, but getting me started is sometimes the hardest part of the job! B)

kj4kicks

Congrats Coach !!

So I guess you don't need to borrow that socket now.....

Time for B)

nylyon

I'm not afraid to tackle most any repair, but getting me started is sometimes the hardest part of the job! B)

That's what took me the longest time. I have to admit in this case reading too much on the internet was a bad thing. I was expecting it to be a lot worse which made me reluctant to get it done!

TT

I've noticed that with the internet....

The ratio of the "It was easy" comments to the "It was hard - and you'll invent many new swear words" responses is very low. :whistle:

Evidently the "bad" is more worthy of posting about than the "good". B)

rocking 416

B) Wait till you have to put a A/C compressor on one of them power chokes's hehehe or glow plugs on the 7.3's there under the valve covers. wel thats not to bad.. exaust manifold gaskets on them are hell we took the motor out on a 96 f 350 at my shop rather the go threw the other hassle ..

KyBlue

glad ya got it fixed!!!

nylyon

Even gave it a fresh 15 quarts of Rotella and a new filter. Now if I could just get the remote start working again. I suspect that it is because all the monitors aren't back on-line yet, but who knows? It's running great now anyway.

T-Mo

Congratulations, Karl, on getting er' done. B) Nothing like the feeling of fixing something your self. Hmm, actually maybe I don't know that feeling. :whistle:

DMESS

Karl, glad to hear this repair wasn't so bad. Sorry you had an issue so soon, but at least it was something relativly minor. I'm happy that mine is Ford's problem for another 88,000 miles!

Just a tip, but don't automatically put 15 qt of oil in these trucks without monitoring the level as you go. It has been found that often times 13.5 to 14 qt. will bring them close to the full mark. Unfortunately you can never get the entire system drained dry as a fair amount of oil stays in the HPOP and injector lines. A full 15 qt. can sometimes overfill these trucks.

Another tip is don't idle these trucks for long periods of time like a traditional diesel. They tend to wet stack and just don't favor long idle periods. This is why you see guys install idle controllers or do the "high idle switch mod".

I hope the truck treats you good and doesn't spit any more codes!