Sign in to follow this  
Dr.Clank

Kohler KT17 series II

Dr.Clank

I just picked up an '86 417-A with Series II Kohler KT17. As I was testing it out in the seller's driveway I cranked up the throttle to see what it sounded like. The guy freaked out and said not to give it throttle unless the engine was under load because the governor on those KT17s doesn't work unless the engine is under load and it could blow up. Can anyone comment on this? 

- Ryan

ol550

I'll attempt to be politically correct here.  He's full of crap. A governor either works or it doesn't, it responds to engine speed

and thus responds to load that would lower speed. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I'd say that unless something is wrong with the throttle and govenor system, the fellow just didn't know what he was talking about. I have the same Wheel Horse as you (see below). I know the govenor on mine works just like its designed.

My question for you would be do YOU think your govenor is not working properly?

Also Ryan, is this your first Wheel Horse?

Whmaverick

I vote, full of crap!

can whlvr

most air cooled engines should be run wide open for cooling

fisherman

arent you supposed to run full throttle before u add a load anyway? DUH!

Wheelhorse84

I'm sure he probably was told that by someone and believes it as the truth.

leeave96

I don't have that particular engine, but on my tractors, don't hesitate to run them full throttle, even under no load.  Tooling around the yard, full throttle - let the gears/hydro take care of the ground speed.  Aside from proper cooling, helps keep the battery charged too.. :)

However, I do lower the RPMs when engaging my PTO - just to keep the slippage to a minimum, but a split second after that, it's back to wide open throttle!

I would say the guy that told you not to run the engine full throttle with no load is challenged.... :laughing-rofl:

BTW - nice find on the tractor!

smoreau

I have two! and love them both!! they are my favorite work tractors for sure, they have a lot of power and good on gas, and the hydros are very strong and can handle anything you can throw at them. Great buy and as long as the governor  is working crank it up!

Dr.Clank

Thanks for your replies. I was pretty sure the guy was full of crap too but since this is my first 2 cylinder Kohler I thought I'd ask here. 

Van - this is not my first Wheelhorse. I have a 414-8 (Kohler M14) and a 416-H (Onan P216). The 417-A is the only KT17 engine I've seen.

I've had the 414 for 5 years and just got the 416. I haven't driven the 416 much yet but the M14 runs great at full throttle regardless of what I'm doing. I was surprised when the seller gave me the governor story but obviously I bought it anyway. 

I kinda felt like the guy was full of crap too but didn't want to tell him that before I had the tractor; he was certainly a fast-talker. It came with an almost destroyed tiller, a dozer blade in great shape and what looks like a decent 36" rear discharge recycler deck,  plus the rear lift kit installed (cable + rockshaft) with a custom ball hitch. I'll post pictures soon. The reason I gave it throttle was that it sounded like it was running really fast; I didn't get it up past 60% when it sounded REALLY fast and the seller pushed the throttle back down. I'll download the engine manual from Kohler and take a closer look when I have time. I'm sure I can sort it out. 

- Ryan

Wheel-N-It

Van - this is not my first Wheelhorse. I have a 414-8 (Kohler M14) and a 416-H (Onan P216). The 417-A is the only KT17 engine I've seen.

The reason I gave it throttle was that it sounded like it was running really fast; I didn't get it up past 60% when it sounded REALLY fast and the seller pushed the throttle back down. I'll download the engine manual from Kohler and take a closer look when I have time. I'm sure I can sort it out. 

- Ryan

Ryan, given the fact you own a couple of other Wheel Horses I would say it is possible the engine is turning too many RPMs. Not likely but possible. I have an old Briggs 8hp engine I think is turning too many RPMs. I recently bought a meter that will check engine RPM on a 1 and 2 cylinder engine to get them all turning the proper amount. That is a project I will be working on hopefully in April.

Get yourself one of these meters to know for sure. That is my suggestion.

Van :USA:

Edited by Wheel-N-It

Dr.Clank

I suppose I should have posted this in the Engines section. Whoops.. I'll move it over as soon as I can figure out how.

Anyway, I got hold of a hand held tachometer and the KT17 is running too fast. I clocked it at 4000 RPMs at about 40% throttle and the manual says it should not exceed 3600. Once throttle gets to about 40% it really starts to surge and I have to push the throttle back down to the bottom to get the engine to slow down. I started tinkering with it today (reset carb adjustment screws, read about the governor) but ran out of time before I got it fixed - I have a 5 week old son so time is scarce! I think I need to reset the governor and I found instructions on another forum and a video on youtube. 

- move throttle arm so carb is 100% open and hold

- loosen nut on governor arm

- rotate governor shaft all the way counter-clockwise

- tighten nut on governor arm

One guy says forget about clockwise / counterclockwise, just rotate the governor shaft in the same direction that the governor arm moved to open the carb. Has anyone actually done this before? Hopefully the governor arm moves counter-clockwise and that will answer the question of which way to turn the governnor shaft.

- Ryan

Wheel-N-It

Hey congragulations on your research findings. Now on to the next step (time permitting). Your Son needs your time now. How bout sharing some pics of your 417? That will tide us over till you are able to work on it.

pfrederi

There is a high speed stop located at the base of the throttle control lever that you need to adjust.  See page 22 of the service manual.  I can't figure pout how to post a copy of the page here.

Edit:  I uploaded the service manual to the manuals section here

Edited by pfrederi

SousaKerry

You may also find that the governor is not working at all due to mechanical failure inside the engine block.  If you disconnect all the linkage and run the throttle by hand you should feel resistance on the governor arm as speed increases.  I would test this first before trying to set anything and also check that the linkage and springs are set up properly.  I have seen many an engine where a spring broke and a previous owner just Jerry rigged it.   Or worse yet purposely disabled it to get more speed.

rexman72

i have the series 2 417A and i crank mine up

Dr.Clank

I have the service manual and I've already set the high speed stop as a temporary solution but this only leaves about 1 inch of play with the throttle control on the dash. The linkages and springs are all set as per the manual. I reset the main and idle fuel screws on the carb so the only thing left to check is the governor shaft. I'll do the manual throttle test as suggested and see what happens.

I'll also post some pics when I get home in a day or two.

Thanks.

JackC

At least you know he did not beat the pizz out of it.  

Although, it may have carbon build up if he went too easy on it.

Some say run em hard, run em hot, and change the oil frequently.

That is how they were designed to be run.

can whlvr

hey clank,i see you are from ontario too,welcome,the screws on the carb are not the problem,its definatly the governor,you do need to set up the gov as per the manual,by loosening the palm nut and turning the shaft,i forget which way but the manual will explain this,then you can set the stop,its very tricky and finicky,but good instuctions are in the rebuild manual,good luck and we need pics as usual

redone

Kohler kt17 series 2. Just finish rebuilding my engine. Hired a machine shop to bore the cylinders well I brought new piston .020. Just got the engine running. One cylinder was not firing right. Tore the engine down. Those valves trappers were not cut. Or gap. This shop did not do the job I paid them for. So ima going to a different area to have this engine rework again.

That's a lot of work just removing it from the tractor. Let a lone pulling the engine apart. Very disappointed.