Sign in to follow this  
Anglo Traction

Water Pump

Anglo Traction

Some time back, I uncovered an old Pump from the same place I got my first Wheel Horse from.  Not sure if anyone has one mounted on their WH.

post-3520-0-83497600-1364086852_thumb.jp

I figured it would be a good attachment to shift water from the Pond to the Veg Garden area in times of drought (fat chance with this weather). Also for filling a towable Bowser/Tank. 

The owner said I could have it and so a few weeks ago I managed to get some time to drag the Genset and Grinder over to it and part it from it's old wheeled chassis and get it home for inspection.

post-3520-0-89894200-1364087221_thumb.jp

A quick clean to find some identity and a subsequent successful search for info/parts, gave me the green light to proceed with stripping it down for a full refurb.

post-3520-0-45620200-1364087730_thumb.jp

These are not cheap new and the Spares aren't either, but it's a powerful pump and will Self Prime from 3-5metres head within 30 seconds.It can handle small hard and soft solids and will shift upwards of 80ltrs per minute at 1500rpm @ 2 BAR through 1 inch pipe.on a 3/4 hp motor.......plenty plenty!. These are common on Marine Engines and onboard water systems.

Will have a few problems getting the Wearplate out and have to be careful with the 2 piece Shaft & Sealed Bearing (good), but will get there. 

In the meantime, I thought I'd give it a clean up and go Shiney Bronze. The All Brass Strainer was originally painted Red, so may repaint it.

post-3520-0-45672400-1364089274_thumb.jp

Need to plan the fabrication for mounting and drive speed etc, but I'm looking at a Mid Hitch drive shaft to the Flywheel side initially. 

Lots of jobs on the list at the moment, but I like several things running at the same time. Still too cold in the workshop, so waiting for the Weather to warm up now.

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

Richard,

That thing cleaned up nicely.  I have a similar pump on my Volvo-Penta engine in my boat. The engine has a typical automotive water pump as well as the Jabsco running off the belt to draw raw water into the system for the other water pump to circulate. Other than chaning  the impeller once in a while, they are very durable.

KC9KAS

That is a very nice looking pump. There is just no end to the uses for our tractors!

I think I would make it so the pump can be "put into and out" of gear with the PTO.

Kai Thomsen

Nice pump :)  

Would love to have something like it, and mount it to the front tach a matic, park the wheel horse by the old waterwell and hook up the hoses.. and use it to irrigate the garden or to fill up the waterdrums in the greenhouse :)

Madcat

post-4642-0-67731100-1364144409_thumb.jppost-4642-0-11796300-1364144429_thumb.jp

This is my similiar pump mounting for spraying lawn fertilizer and herbicide.

• Like 3

meadowfield

That really will look fabulous Richard!

wheeledhorseman

That pump was a great find! I remember a similar pump came up on 'tea-tray' during my first year of 'horsing'. It was either for, or had been made to fit a WH and went for way more than I expected so I didn't win it. I'd forgotten about it but seeing your pics reminded me  and how I regretted not bidding higher when I didn't win. Thanks for that Richard :teasing-poke:

Seriously though, that's going to be a great attachment and I know you'll make a first cless job of it.

Andy

Anglo Traction

Bumped this to say sorry to contributors for lack of response on this thread and to show (loads 'a' pics) a little progress on rebuilding this pump. I had to strip it out completely to sort the Shaft damage. I had to make several Press Tubes n Tooling and obtain the use of someone's Flypress in order to remove parts in sequence, but got there in the end and all the internal surfaces are good-

post-3520-0-74288800-1371508262_thumb.jp

With the old bearing pressed off, I found the small roll pin which locates the bushing in the correct position on the Shaft had been sheared off. Yes , someone from the 'Hammer Tribe' had hit the pulley end so hard, it moved the shaft through the bushing 3/16",  as well as swaged the Pulley end of the shaft (which I had to cut the pulley off and clean up ).

post-3520-0-77084400-1371508969_thumb.jp    

After 35 years exposed to the elements, water had got past the shrunken seals-to-body joints  and reached the Bearing, but it  still turned quite smoothly and only exterior rust/pitting. I did not risk using it again and was recently lucky enough to find an OEM NOS  Bearing at a 1/3rd of the cost of a new one.

With a Press Tube made with a hole so I could see the Spirol Pin Hole in the bushing, I was able to gently heat the bushing and press it back to where the holes line up and fix it there. Followed by the New Bearing and Snap Ring-

post-3520-0-11376800-1371511227_thumb.jp

I have all the new seals, spacers and Snap Rings to complete the job now. Just need to make the Press Tube for the Outer dimension of the bearing to press it home in the Body, then fit the seals etc-

post-3520-0-78713400-1371510704_thumb.jp

At the top left of the above pic is the new Wear Plate and the original Outer Cover Plate which I have-

post-3520-0-55290500-1371510790_thumb.jp

........skimmed in the Lathe.

post-3520-0-89495400-1371511593_thumb.jp

Had to remove 15 thou to get back to smooth metal and still showed staining from dezincification :huhs:  :text-google: it   . I want to keep this cover plate (uk£20.00 new), so I'm making another (thinner) identical plate that fits inside it and will take all the wear. Also make longer bronze Cover Screws.

Should be able to start planning the layout soon. Will be controlling drive via Pto, but need to sort ratios n shafts out.

Like Madcat's setup , but thinking of less exposed location if poss.

Please don't hold breath for soon-to-come update..... I'm having to work in a near Unidextrous mode , but I'm adapting to it. 

Regards  

• Like 1

Anglo Traction

Finished the Pump now, made the additional brass (mirror polished) Outer Cover Plate to take the wear from the Impeller and made new fixing Bolts out of 9/32" AF Hex Brass instead of slotted screws. Good as new inside now and ready to go pumping. Strainer painted as original condition. 

post-3520-0-24591800-1371917300_thumb.jp

Pulleys, Bearings, Shafts and Belts to sort next. 

• Like 1

neil

looking forward to seeing that mounted on the tractor Richard, Ive been wanting to do this myself for one of my tractors but never found a good enough pump.

yours will look fabulous in Brass

:thumbs:

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Very Nice work.  How did you get it so clean? Chemicals? By hand? 

Anglo Traction

looking forward to seeing that mounted on the tractor Richard, Ive been wanting to do this myself for one of my tractors but never found a good enough pump.

yours will look fabulous in Brass

:thumbs:

Hi Neil, yes should look ok. I was lucky with finding this one, but lots of Dosh for parts. Good job I didn't have to replace the Shaft as they are uk£125.00 + Tax :scared-eek: .  

Very Nice work.  How did you get it so clean? Chemicals? By hand? 

Hey Doc, Thanks..... cleaned up very easily by hand and various grades of Alum Oxide/Carbon Paper. Had to machine (flycut) the Foot mount to get it flat. Oh and used a small Dremel type Drill with Grindstone/Burr in the awkward places. Bronze cleans up well.  

wheeledhorseman

Finished the Pump now, made the additional brass (mirror polished) Outer Cover Plate to take the wear from the Impeller and made new fixing Bolts out of 9/32" AF Hex Brass instead of slotted screws. Good as new inside now and ready to go pumping. Strainer painted as original condition. 

attachicon.gifDSC00872.JPG

Pulleys, Bearings, Shafts and Belts to sort next. 

Remiss of me I know but I'd forgotten about your pump project Richard. All I can say is one look at the photo and its obviously an Anglo Traction production setting the standard as always! :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:  :bow-blue:

Andy

Griff

Just stumbled accross this thread,what a coincidence,i'm on with doing the same thing but my pump wont look anywhere near as stunning as the one you've just resto'd. That is one cracking job you've made of that Richard.

• Like 1

woodchuckfarmer

Looks to nice to use , id set on the mantle