Sign in to follow this  
Stormin

Mower question.

Stormin

On the back of my mower deck there is a series of holes. The five on the bottom edge in the picture.

005-10.jpg

I assume they are for some attachment. Maybe a shute or something similair. Maybe something to stop grass cuttings being thrown up into/onto the underside of the tractor. I cannot find any reference to anything.

Can anyone enlighten me? I'm thinking of making some kind of shute/guard.

wheeledhorseman

There's a curved downward deflector that bolts on. I have it on just one of my RD decks it's missing on the others and no sign that it was ever there. I think these were an optional extra - a good idea perhaps if you had stones about in the grass.

I can photograph mine if you're thinking of making one.

Andy

Stormin

A photo would be grand. Thank you Andy. :thumbs:

TT

The 42" RD deck (05-42XR06) that was on my 1986 YT12-A had that deflector. (p/n 109038)

It helped keep the clippings off of the inside of the rear wheels.

Here's the drawing:

post-33-0-49883300-1362612624_thumb.png

Stormin

That's like I had in mind. More or less. Thanks, Terry. :thumbs:

• Like 1

squonk

I had one but it rotted. I took some flat stock and welded it together like angle iron but at an angle not 90 deg. I forget what it was but then I bolted a rubber flap so it hung down and deflected the grass. No more grass on my hydro. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

I like the rubber flap idea. Gonna try that one myself!

Stormin

Yes, the rubber flap is a good idea. I didn't expect so much feed back, but it has started the old grey cells working. Thanks lads. Now where are those scrap pieces of sheet metal?

wheeledhorseman

Here's the photos of mine... (click to enlarge)

gallery_4509_115_126400.jpg

I've never really given it a great deal of thought - it's just been there on this deck. Looking at it I can see that it's designed to direct the grass out between the rear wheels. However, cutting a field the deck's always on its highest setting and if the grass is wet the tires still get covered in the stuff. Must help a bit I guess.

Andy

• Like 1

Stormin

Some kind of extension between the wheels might help keep the grass off the wheels at max height. And as I typed that another idea reared up. Going to have to get some cardboard sheet to make mock ups.

scifi4all

I added a piece of roofing rubber to the discharge of my deck years ago. It made a difference, on the amount of grass blowing up onto the wheel and axle. It still kicks up more than I like, I should install a thicker or heavier piece of rubber. Sorry I don't have any pics right now.