Sign in to follow this  
DMK855

Adding some yellow to the collection..........

DMK855

My grandfather passed on this past Christmas morning and I will be bringing a few of his tractors home to add to the collection. He was into the Cubs pretty strong and probably had forgotten more about them than most know. I used to share my WH projects with him and actually had gotten the SK486 I am working on now as he knew he would not have time to make good use of the engine. I have a handful of other tractors that I need to sell or part out for my grandmother and shelves of parts and Kohlers to sort. Just wish I had the space to keep it all!!

Anyway...... Here are a few pics of what I will be bringing home in April.

I tried talking him out of this seat for one of my WH's..... Needless to say, It will prob. stay on the Cub now!!!

post-2236-0-19106700-1360993025_thumb.jp

post-2236-0-66172300-1360993038_thumb.jp

post-2236-0-17049500-1360993043_thumb.jp

post-2236-0-03875500-1360993151_thumb.jp

• Like 2

neil

Kind fond of the Cubs myself

I spy another two in the background , i m sure you are gonna enjoy your Grandfathers tractors

DMK855

Neil, he has had Cubs my entire life...... Last count there are 14 tractors there! (Some are parts tractors!) I am looking forward to getting them home and cleaned up. Those Cubs of his actually mean something, where as the most of the WH I have, are just stuff I bought!!!

Save Old Iron

DMK,

looks like both of us will have some yellow paint marks on the driveway this summer.

cubcadet104001_tn.jpg

cubcadet104006_tn.jpg

I'm going to try my hand at a 102 and 107. 10hp will the smallest engine I ever used as a worker. We will see if the savings in gas money to cut the grass will justify the effort to refurb these two.

• Like 1

DMK855

I don't know if I will get started on them this summer or not!! But after seeing some repairs through on these machines, I know they are not quite as simple as the WH's...... I will surely miss be able to make that phone call with tractor/small engine questions!! Thank fully he had all the manuals you could ask for and even took some pretty detailed notes!!

Best of luck on your Cubs SOI, they are some tough machines and should treat you well!! Looking forward to your progress!!

chris11

Im a big fan of the cubs , love the wheelhorse.and a few others, not a big John deere fan. Im helping a friend restore one.

Wheel-N-It

Sorry to hear of the loss of your Grandfather. Its good you have these Cubs to help keep the connection going. My Grandfather died three days after I turned 22. He and I were very close. I never knew my Grandfather on my Dads side of the family.

Anyway I see there are some other RS members who like Cubs also. Here is mine. It is a 1975 IH CC 1650. I have a 50" mowing deck, a snow/dozer blade, and a pair of IH wheel weights. It does need a repaint, but mechanically it is very sound. I had the K-341 rebuilt Summer of last year, and rebuilt the entire front axle, king pins, 1" spindle upgrade, everything. It could use a repaint, but thats not pressing right now.

post-5982-0-18897600-1361046262_thumb.jp

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Very sorry for the loss of your grandfather. Those Cub tractors will be a very good memory of your grandfather.

You will miss him, but the GT's will keep him close to you.

baerpath

Same here it's a connection to a memory My wife ended up with her fathers 147 cub after his death. It sits in the barn we haven't used it in 5yrs but it does get started and driven around a couple times a year.

wp205a

I cut my suburban grass with a 1015 Cub, enjoy your time with them. Any project you enjoy is a good one, especially if personal history is involved.

DMK855

Well, the Cubs are home safe and sound.  Thought I would post some better pics.  I am really looking forward to having them to tinker on in the years to come!!

149 Before it's bath.....  Sure makes the garden look even smaller!!

21ab7ns.jpg

After it's bath!  I love the hydraulic lift!

sg6a9z.jpg

mc6y60.jpg

1250 is engine-less for the moment.

282lck.jpg

Making memories!!

z7d5t.jpg

o8rzf9.jpg

• Like 2

6wheeler

Nice looking tractors. Good luck with them. Know what else you need? Some of our snow :greetings-clappingyellow:  :greetings-clappingyellow: . Is that grass under those? We don't have that any more...

DoctorHfuhruhurr

Nice!!  I like most brands of garden tractors from the era.  Sears has some heavy duty garden tractors too with tons of attachments.  

neil

Great to see the kids enjoying themselves , nice cubs

AMC RULES

Even though it isn't red, that 149 is pretty cool.   :handgestures-thumbsup: 

KC9KAS

Glad you are enjoying the Cubs.

Looks like the kids may have taken over.

Wheel-N-It

Great Pics! I love the 122.

papaglide

Cubs are nice. In the past I have had a 127, 169 and a 104. I now have a 1200. They are beefier than WH in my opinion but seemed a lot harder to work on. I like horses more now. You will really enjoy your cubs: you have some real nice ones there, take care of them!

bitten

:thumbs:  :thumbs:  :thumbs:

leeave96

Cubs are nice. In the past I have had a 127, 169 and a 104. I now have a 1200. They are beefier than WH in my opinion but seemed a lot harder to work on. I like horses more now. You will really enjoy your cubs: you have some real nice ones there, take care of them!

Totally agree!