Sign in to follow this  
Machria

Newbie first tractor: GT14 HELP!

Machria

Hey guys,

Just bought what looks like a 1971 GT14, my first tractor. I'm pretty sure I have lost it, but what the heck, you only live once!

I runs ok, but needs a tune up and cleaned up a bit. But it's in pretty decent shape I think. With the throttle way up, it will backfire once in a while (every 5 or 10 seconds) with fire out the muffler. Also, it seems to get bogged down and stahl if I give it anykind of heavy load. I went into some very wet 6 or 8" deep snow and it bogged down and stalled only a few feet into it. I'm pretty sure it should do better than that.

First thing I will do is give it some fresh fuel, run some sea foam thru it, change the plug and oil. Then see how she does. Anything else I can do in short order?

The throttle also won't stay out, it pulls itself back in like it is spring loaded or something, so something needs fixed/adjusted there. Lastly, the lights and snow blower worked when I got it home, but I then tried pushing in the cig lighter to see if it worked and afterward the lights stopped working and I could not engage the snow blower. I'm guessing I blew a fuse somewhere I hope, but a quick look around and I could not find any fuses anywhere?

I'll need the manual to find things, anywone know where I can get the exact manual for it? In the manual section there were similar model manuals (other GT14's) but none that matched my model number?

Model: 1 0500 6

Sn# 825066

Things I need:

1. Manual

2. I'd like to get a small geni to connect to the front or back (I have the extra pully in rear) of this thing, where do I get that?

3. Standard hitch mount adapter (I understand somebody on here makes one for these?)?

4. Front headlight lens, it is cracked and broken. I'd like to replace the lights with LED's or something?

5. Better muffler, this thing is loud! What's an easy install better muffler?

Thanks for any help in advance. Anyone interested in coming over to have a look at it, I'll supply $$ and beer!!

post-9546-0-16338200-1360793027_thumb.jp

post-9546-0-19180400-1360793061_thumb.jp

post-9546-0-89158600-1360793313_thumb.jp

Tankman

Very nice, too nice for Long Island!

Excellent Stallion!

Lived in both Suffolk and Nassau Counties a few years back. Love the Island!

Have fun with your "new" :wh:!

gd.pudge

Nice tractor

meadowfield

Hi, good choice :D

re: back firing, more than likely poor mixture caused by clogged airfilter, bad gas or more than likely blocked jets/dirt in carb. This could also be the loss of power too - though that could be fixed by new coil/plug/points....

Is the choke actually working? that could also reduce power and bog things down...

manual is on the toro site - apart from the hydro, any GT14 manual should get you started!

LED lights yes - good idea and they work well

mark

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Great looking tractor!

KC9KAS

:WRS: You need to remove the battery, and you will find a fuse that feeds the (accessories) electric clutch/lighter/lights. The lighter probably has a little rust in it, and blew the fuse when you tried the lighter, ot the lights on and lighter pushed in was to much of an amp draw for the fuse.

Very nice looking GT-14!

Pollack Pete

I have 4 or 5 GT-14's.One of my favorite Horses.That's a real nice one you've got there.Have fun with your new toy.

neil

Real nice looking tractor , I have two Gt14`s .

You can get a light lens off that auction site although it will not be one of the original lenses for the GT14 as those have the chrome embossed type horse logo which are real hard to find in good condition .

Did you buy this tractor from that auction site as i think there was one with the snow thrower on there ?

Machria

Thanks guys. Tuned it up a bit tonight, new plug, cleaned the air filter (was a mess), sea foam and fresh gas, changed oil, wd40... Then found the blown 30 amp agc fuse and replaced. MUCH better. Everything working, and running much better. It still backfires if I go from full throttle to a low throttle setting quickly, but I'm guessing that is just how this engine runs, yes?

My only problem left is, the throttle. It won't stay where I put it. It just pulls it back in, so I have to hold it in position. A quick look at it could not figure out why it's getting pulled in?

Machria

Real nice looking tractor , I have two Gt14`s .

You can get a light lens off that auction site although it will not be one of the original lenses for the GT14 as those have the chrome embossed type horse logo which are real hard to find in good condition .

Did you buy this tractor from that auction site as i think there was one with the snow thrower on there ?

I picked it up on Craig's list here on LI. Was in a barn on a farm. Looks like I have that orig lens with chrome horse, but it is broken pretty good. I'm fine with any lens that fits, as long as its functional.

Auction site?

KATO

Auction site = E-BAY. About your throttle cable , try turning it clockwise when you pull it out into position.

it should be a locking throttle cable. if so you will feel it tighten up when you turn it. if it doesnt you probably need a new one.

Or some one has replaced it with a choke cable which is a non locking cable.

Machria

Auction site = E-BAY. About your throttle cable , try turning it clockwise when you pull it out into position.

it should be a locking throttle cable. if so you will feel it tighten up when you turn it. if it doesnt you probably need a new one.

Or some one has replaced it with a choke cable which is a non locking cable.

Thanks, dopey me, I downloaded and read one of the manuals last night and noticed the note about "locking throttle". ;) Haven't tried it yet, but I'm sure it will work fine.

Brrly1

Great tractors!! I have a few of them myself.

Machria

Can somebody tell me what kind of Hydrolic oil I need in the Hydro under the seat? I can't seem to find it referenced anywhere in manuals.... ?

Machria

Can somebody tell me what kind of Hydrolic oil I need in the Hydro under the seat? I can't seem to find it referenced anywhere in manuals.... ?

In addition, one more thing I can't figure out. The Kohler manual often refers to 3 different versions of the motor for example for Spark Plug Gap:

1. Battery/Breakerless

2. Magneto

3. Gaseous Fuel Engines

So how do I know which one I have?

Wheel-N-It

Try .025

This will probably be just what you need.

jaydeer

If you are having trouble with getting the engine to run smoothly check to see where your throttle linkage hooks on at the top of the carb. If you have a lot of play where the shaft goes into the top of the carb you could be sucking in air and need to replace the throttle shaft bushing. I have seen that issue on a number of GT14s and other models.

Brrly1

Alrighty then,here's what I did for a couple of my GT14's. If you have a Tractor Supply in the area go there ,go to the muffler area. You should be able to find a I.H. muffler for around $25 or so shouldn't be a whloe lot more than that. Look for a flapper that would mount on top( don't need the rain to lube anything)You might ask the person helping if they have any of the black steel pipe, if they do great if not run by a Lowes or Home Depot and pick up what you need. I would advise taking measurements before you leave the house so No multiple trips. I am going to post a couple pictures here for you. Good Luck If I can do it, I am sure someone else can do the same. Enjoy the pictures!

Nothing in these photos are For Sale. Don't bother to ask because it won't happen. Look to the right side of the photo with all the items. You'll spot a GT14 NOS muffler, new lift cylinder, new fuel tank, New 2 piece seat. Have fun!!

post-45-0-66598900-1360940682_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-64822600-1360940730_thumb.jpg

post-45-0-56071500-1360940751.jpg

Edited by Brrly1

Brrly1

Now you asked about what trans fluid to use, I am guessing but you said your GT was a 71' era. I would say you trans fluid will probably be 10w30 motor oil. I will also suggest that you need to use the Wheel Horse filter for this tractor. I am also guessing that you have points in that tractor. The early GT14's used an electronic ignition (breakerless). I was thinking that the point gap should be around nineteen thousandths. They are Great Tractors I think I have either five or six. My first one was my Dad's, so it will be the last to leave. Like I said Good Luck!!

• Like 1

Machria

brrrrr,

What are those wooden things with handles on them on the front of the tractor?

Is that seat for sale? I need one!

We don't have a Tractor Supply on Long Island.

Brrly1

The front pieces on the tractor are suppose to be front weights. Sorry that seat is for my Dads tractor. Those are some of the things I have collected over the years. All the GT14 parts are headed for his tractor. I can understand the part of no Tractor supply. Keep you eyes on ebay, every so often you'll have a two piece seat show-up. Theres been times that I have seen them go for around $70 or so, plus shipping which is not to bad.