Sign in to follow this  
leeave96

Synthetic Oil in Hydro???

leeave96

Any reason not to use synthetic oil in the Eaton hydros? I'm thinking about using it with my tranny oil/filter change this spring.

Thanks!

Bill

MalMac

I had a 520H that had synthetic in it and thought it improved the performance somewhat compared to the other 520H that I had just regular oil in. Not saying that will happen for you or anyone else. I am sure there is alot of contributing factors. When I change oil the next time in the one with regular oil I am switching to synthetic.

Tankman

I too would switch to synthetic. Less wear 'n tear on the hydro internals.

qd-16

I put syn. oil in my 314h....no problems so far.

squonk

I run Mobil 1 in my c160 Sunstrand.

dbartlett1958

I use synthetic oil in anything that has an oil pump, or any engine that will get run/started in the extreme cold. When you see how conventional oil pours(or rather does not) at -20F, you will never use anything other than synthetics. Although one could use thinner conventional oils for colder temps, I find the temperature range of those too confining.

Many years ago, Quaker State had a batch of oil that had a bad additive package. When the temps dropped to freezing, this particular oil would literally congeal and not flow through the oil pumps. Many an engine was ruined at cold start. Try selling Quaker State in Aroostook county today. Farmers there have long memories when it comes to spending money.

shallowwatersailor

I have used Mobil 1 10W-30 in my 518xi's Eaton 11 for three years without a problem. Because I had a car that used the same oil viscosity at the time, I bought a case of it at a warehouse club. I would probably look for an AMSOIL product now.

smoreau

I have 3 tractors that I changed to Mobil 1 10w30, and it has improved performance on all 3 with quicker lift operation in winter too less noise under load! The full synthetic oil will take the heat of a hydro without breaking down and will last 3-4 times longer then conventional oil. Any one thinking of changing over to it, Why are you waiting?

Kevbo

Hey guys would I be able to put Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic in my 1075? Right now it has automatic transmission fluid in it...

smoreau

You need to get all of the auto trans fluid out of the trans. I would change it to a synthetic blend oil first, then switch to the Mobil 1

Kevbo

Is there any way to flush it or just put 10W-30 blend and run it around awhile? Is motor oil better than ATF in this situation?

Trouty56

I'd just let the ATF in there....motor oil suspends contaminates and holds them so they can be filtered. This is OK but the filter is at the end of the flow in this case. ATF will let the contaminates settle so they can be drained. IMHO

• Like 1

Kevbo

Thanks trouty!

Kelly

Use synthetic ATF, and I like Mobil 1 in my hydro's

Wheel-N-It

Bill, the all knowing and powerful DUKE of the Snow Chunker fame advised me to use Mobile One 10w-30 in my 417-A. I took his advise and so far no problems.

• Like 1

73-18 automatic

I have been using Amsoil 30w synthetic in my D for 3+years and I like it very much
  • Like 1

Kevbo

So this weekend I will put new oil in my 1075 hydro but I'm still unsure if I should go synthetic motor oil or ATF. Kelly you mentioned Synthetic ATF - what brand?

Kelly

I run Mobil 1 in my race car, engine oil, trans fluid, and gear oil, I also run it in my keeper tractors.

Forest Road

I have Amsoil in my 314 h and the 522xi will be getting a full flush this summer.

Machria

Synthetic 30w motor oil would be ok in a GT14 hydro?

I just got it, and was about to go get somekind of hydrolic fluid.

smoreau

Go with 10w30

Trouty56

GT14 probably has ATF in it but maybe not. Check the dip stick to see if it is red in color. If it is red then would stay with ATF until you research converting it a little. You can drain the fluid, whether it be AFT or motor oil, and change the filter. Here is a thread on a couple filter choices....I use a NAPA 1410....some guys swear by Toro. I point this thread out because there is a cool tip on inserting a magnet into the tranny plug.

If you are insistent on using synthetic go ahead and use it but I would stick to the fluid type that is presently in the system until you have a better knowledge of your tractor. When you fill the trans fill it slowly till you read full....might be 4 qts give or take. Run the tractor a little to move the oil. then fill it more until the level stays consistent. The full amount in the manual will not fit at first.

Edited by Trouty56

Machria

Thanks Trouty. (Your not Trouty from The hull Truth a few years ago, are you?)

I'm pretty sure it has the pink ATF stuff in it now. But I'm draining it all out, new filter and will refill.

• Like 1

Kevbo

I've decided to put Mobil 1 Synthetic ATF in my 1075. Thanks for the advice everyone!

• Like 1

Trouty56

Thanks Trouty. (Your not Trouty from The hull Truth a few years ago, are you?)

Maybe....lol