squonk

Filling tires

slammer302

I've read this post before but after reading again i think i'm going to fill the tires on my commando 8 snow plow horse i already have the old cast inside wheel weights but i think it could use sum more it still runs out of traction pretty easily it has the 6-12 tires on it plus its about time to winterize the fifth wheel camper any way so i will be buying sum RV antifreeze   

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

I got this somewhere on the internet. But I'm not sure if the weight is: beet juice, calcium chloride, or RV Antifreeze. These numbers are for some of the more common sizes for GT tractors.

SIZE                 GALLONS                WEIGHT in POUNDS

• 16x6.50-8               2.0                            21.4
  • 18x7.00-8               3.0                            32.1 
  • 18x8.50-8               3.4                            36.4 
  • 18x9.50-8               4.0                            42.8
  • 23x8.50-12             5.5                            58.9
  • 23x10.50-12           6.8                            72.8
  • 6-12                        3.6                            38.5

Other sizes will be + or - these numbers.

I just looked up a gallon of RV antifreeze, weight showed as 8.9 pounds. I remember water is close to that, and jet fuel (kerosene/diesel) is about 8.6 if I remember correctly. It has been 30 years or so though.  :)

Brings up the old question: which is heavier, a pound of feathers - or a pound of lead? :ychain:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

GlenPettit

Those weights would be for Beet Juice ( RimGuard, via their site).
That's for 100% full; they recommend only a 85% fill, leaving some air space.
Beet Juice is the most weight/gallon of all the safe affordable liquids for inside tires,
it's only $2–4 per gallon, plus the cost of pumping it into the tire or tube ($5–10/tire).

oldredrider

That's the exact valve I have used for filling my tires. Works great and is not expensive.

squonk

Same as the Napa valve I got.

clip

For future reference, fill the tires to about 75-85% full. Leave some air to compress and soften the ride. To do this easily, fill with fluid (through valve stem with tubes or just break the bead on one side of the wheel and pour directly in without) then mount the tire and get the valve stem to the 12 o'clock position to let the excess drain. Your tires will be about 75% full. Also, remember to only check air pressure with the stem at 12 o'clock after the tires are loaded unless you want your pressure gauges full of fluid. 

And old post, but:
To the OP with the Power King. I've got a Farmall Cub and the 150lb wheel weights are a bear to handle. On the Cub forums there are instructions for making an easy handling tool. Cut a 2x6 or 2x8 to be about 5' high, then line up and drill a 1/2" hole to correspond with one of the wheel weight mounting holes when at 12 o'clock. Insert length of 1/2" rod. To install weight lay it down on the board on the rod and lift the board up, then walk it right to the wheel and push in. Insert two carriage bolts and you're done. Removal in reverse. Also remember to line up the weight cutout with your valve stem, makes life easier. I forgot when mounting the first, remembered on the second.

http://www.farmallcub.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=143&t=29875

Edited by clip

Ironhorse1077

Beet Juice seems the best option by far at nearly 11 lbs./gallon and eco-friendly for the same price as w/w fluid or RV antifreeze - not to mention it doesn't freeze until negative 35 degrees.  Added nearly 70 lbs. to each of my 23x10.5x12's. :eusa-think:

GlenPettit

Look at the RIM GUARD Web site, they give good ideas on filling with "Sugar Beet Juice":  just 80% full so you have some air to get the PSI you need, example; (like 20# in Winter).  Have weight in all four tires, fronts too. Weight gives traction & helps steering, especially when the blade is down plowing.

ineedanother

BLOT - concerns about corrosion if ballast is used

Hello All from NC; :text-imnewhere: lurking for a few weeks since picking up '70s models c-160, auto 12 and and a couple attachments that I hope to journal a bit in a new thread as I get time to work on them. 

Resurrecting this thread if y'all don't mind, I just picked up two pairs of used 23x8.5x12 lugged tires in good shape on seemingly brand new white rims along with a pair of 12" weights for $200 :greetings-clappingyellow: I had to drive a bit to pick them up but believe it was well worth my time since both horses are in need of shoes.

One pair had liquid ballast and I was concerned that it was water. I broke the beads and my suspicions were correct although there was essentially no corrosion so I don't think it had been in there for long. Needless to say, I was glad that I checked and siphoned it out and did a thorough drying before re-inflating.

I would like to add ballast but these tractors might sit quite a bit and I really don't want the rims to rust from the inside and would rather not insert tubes. Is antifreeze the preferred liquid as far as corrosion is concerned (disregarding any weight benefit between the liquids)? I'll likely bite the bullet and insert tubes if that's the best protection but would rather not.

Many thanks, I see that this site can be a bit addictive :coffee:

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, ineedanother said:

Is antifreeze the preferred liquid...

RIMGUARD is sugar beet juice and is probably cheaper or about the same as RV anti-freeze and it won't corrode the wheels.

https://www.rimguardsolutions.com/

Everyone has their own opinions, but when you look at the big picture I think you'll decide that RIMGUARD is the way to go.

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

rustykan

I will give this one follow up after having used the Rimguard for several years now. Standard valve stems will give out eventually. I'm not sure what the issue is, but what a mess it will make in your garage. Boy does that stuff stink! I have had three of the four valve stems fail. Just a heads up if you are using Rimguard.

• Like 1

953 nut
8 hours ago, ineedanother said:

I just picked up two pairs of used 23x8.5x12 lugged tires in good shape on seemingly brand new white rims along with a pair of 12" weights for $200

:WRS:

That was a great buy and well worth the extra drive. I have been using RV Antifreeze for several years with no problem. It will be a bit hard to come by in the summer but well worth doing. 

• Like 1

oliver2-44

@rustykan What type of valve stems do you use/recommend?

Pullstart

@ineedanother Idid some playing around with adding sugar to liquid.  It dissolves until it’s completely saturated… then dissolves no more.  Still a huge weight adding difference!

ineedanother

Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to give the windshield washer fluid and filler valve from NT a try.

Jeff-C175
12 hours ago, Pullstart said:

adding sugar to liquid

I'm glad that bottle wasn't in my fridge... I probably would have drank it !  :text-lol:  Looked like a watermelon slushie !

• Haha 1

rustykan
12 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I have never changed mine, but I did purchase the ones specifically for liquid filled tires. The only problem is that my front tires are tube type, so no changing out the valve stems for those.

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Thanks @rustykan. I wasn’t aware the sold valve stems that were specifically for liquid filled tires. 

Jeff-C175

Why not drill a second hole in the wheel and install a second stem to vent air when filling the tire with the fluid of your choice?

• Like 2

Tonytoro416

The extra weight to price comparison was worth the beet juice for me.  Works great.  I will gladly take those wheel weights off your hands if they give you too much of a problem. I’m thinking they would fit on my Ingersoll garden tractor I just picked up 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
On 6/21/2022 at 7:07 AM, oliver2-44 said:

Jim, I found this older thread while searching for tire filling info. 

I see the member you "mentioned" is no longer active. 

I've had the tires that are on Cinnamon Horse C160 filled with Rimguard for 6 or 7  years now.

I used the commercial stems requested by the company that filled them. 

No issues yet.  

I'll be curious to see how long a standard tube lasts.  

ebinmaine

@squonk

I know this is a dated thread. 

I'm looking for pump information to be able to fluid fill through the tire valve without removing the stem. 

Thoughts? 

squonk
21 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

@squonk

I know this is a dated thread. 

I'm looking for pump information to be able to fluid fill through the tire valve without removing the stem. 

Thoughts? 

Wayne universal 120 volt transfer pump sold at many farm and fleet type stores.

Wayne PC2

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
28 minutes ago, squonk said:

Wayne universal 120 volt transfer pump sold at many farm and fleet type stores.

Looks like HF has one too?

Different brand of course.