Sign in to follow this  
Madcat

Electro 12 breakerless ignition wiring

Madcat

I have rebuilt the Kohler engine on a 1970 Electo 12. I can't remember how the coil and the trigger were wired.

A wire from stator goes to the "A" lead on the trigger. Does the "I" lead on the trigger connect to both the coil and "I" terminal (black wire) on the

ignition switch. I took pictures and notes before I tore it down by must have missed this connection. Appreciate some help.

TT

Does the "I" lead on the trigger connect to both the coil and "I" terminal (black wire) on the ignition switch.

That is exactly correct. :handgestures-thumbup:

If you don't have the Kohler service manual, it's available for download in the "manuals" section here at the forum. (the tab is right below the forum banner)

Madcat

Thanks Terry

I have downloaded the manual and it says terminal "I" on the trigger must be connected to the ignition switch OR the ignition coil.

The wiring diagram is not clear to me. I'm missing something, because I have the black lead from the "I" terminal on the ignition switch

going to the engine but not sure where to put it.

TT

I haven't been around a tractor with the breakerless ignition in a while.....

I'm thinking both wires (one from trigger & one from the ignition switch) were hooked to the transformer (coil) via a double or piggyback connector.

Edit: found an old post with a picture of that wiring - complete with the inline resistor :thingy:

Madcat

Thanks, that picture helps a lot, making up the wire connectors now. I need to correct myself. The ignition switch terminal is "M" not "I".

I've been working on this too long, getting confused. Thanks again.

TT

Yep..... "M" is for Magneto (ground)

Keep battery power away from the "kill" wire and try to keep the trigger module dry and you have (for the most part) a trouble-free ignition system. :handgestures-thumbup: