Sign in to follow this  
jeremi3210

has anybody seen 953 hubs like these?

jeremi3210

Hello i recenty got a 953 model # 62-533 and i was checking thing over the hubs looked funny to me so i pulled one off and found a 1 inch axle only about 2 inches long.

IMAG0142.jpg

• Like 1

1054josh

Looks like someone cut the original hubs down and made adapters to fit the shorter 1 inch axle transmissions. The axles should be the larger 1 1/8 inch axles

• Like 1

Don1977

Looks like the transmission has been changed. There are adapters on the original axles to extend them and to fit the 1" hubs. The original transmission had longer axles than most other Wheel Horses.

kpinnc

Looks like the axles from a no-name 8- 4 speed. They are very long like that, and are 1 inch diameter. They will fit any tranny that uses 1 inch axles.

Martin

heres your garden variety 953/1054 trans housing and axles........

gallery_4321_61_641104.jpg

IMAG0142.jpg

your housing has the bolt holes in the top of it as well, the 953/1054 didnt have this. bolt pattern in the front where it bolts to the frame was probably redrilled or modified as they are different than other models. your hubs also look cut down on the inside.....

Edited by Martin

jeremi3210

They must have drilled and taped the trans. The mounting plate on the tractor looks original. Whoever built these hubs did a good job. I wonder what differentail it has? I want to swap in a 8 pinion 8 speed but i needed the long 1 1/8 axles so if anybody has them let me know. Thanks.

bubbacola

My 953 has the same hubs

• Like 1

953 nut

I replaced the transmision on one of my 953s with the 6 speed from a 1267, had to drill and tap one bolt hole in the trans and redrill one hole in the mounting plate. I used some front wheel drive Ford van 15" wheels mounted backward on the five lug  :wh:  hubs. Since it has hubcaps the lugnut counters won't know anyway.  :laughing-rolling:   :ROTF: 

Keep us posted.

:USA: 

Edited by 953 nut

bubbacola

My 1054 has hubs like Martins... Had to go look to make sure.. Maybe the first 953's had these hubs til they made the longer axle  Just a guess

jeremi3210

I got lucky and found a 1054 trans with a busted diff. Took the axles out of that and cut a groove for a snap ring and put them in a 8 pinion. Shaved one side of the bull gear down to fit it in the 1054 case. Then i took the half of a 8 speed with the hi low gear drilled and taped so it fit the 953 frame and used the long side of the 1054 case. So now i got a 8 speed 8 pinion 953. It is one of my favorite tractors. Just got to get the rear lift figured out dont know how to run the cable.

bubbacola

sound good jeremi...  I'm going to put a 18 horse twin cyl. in my and put a eaton trans in it

Edited by bubbacola

jeremi3210

That will make a cool 953. Post some pics when you get done.

bubbacola

will do...  I have all the parts in my garage..thinking of a step by step photo shoot. Just need to button up my C175auto twin first.. I just found out I can get a foot control for trans. ordering that tomorrow