Sign in to follow this  
C100

Snow Blade on 1990 310-8

C100

I have only been a member of this forum for only a short time, but the information that is here is amazing. I have a 42 inch blade on my 310-8 that I use for snow removal that has always had an interference issue with the angle handle. The brake pedal hits the lever preventing me from fully depressing the brake. I can't bend the angle lever away, or closer to the engine as it strikes the muffler. It is only an issue when the blade is straight or angled right. When angled left there is enough clearance for the brake lever to travel. I've been using this blade for over 5 years and I can't really see where I have installed something incorrectly. Is this just a nature of the beast, or have I been doing something wrong for all these years??

Thanks.

Fred Massachusetts

855ownerJoel

Fred some pics would be nice! Click more reply options to add pics. Welcome to RedSquare..... I do not have that problem on any of mine but I do not have a 310-8.

C100

As soon as I can I will take some pictures, I should have done that ahead of time!

Fred

Whmaverick

yeah Fred try to get us some pics, someone will know how to help. should be an easy fix. :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :banana-gotpics: :wwp: :wwp: :WRS: :WRS:

sorekiwi

You probably have an odd collection of parts leading to your problem. There are several different styles of rear axle mount, several different styles of frame for the blade itself, and a couple of combinations of angle lever.

I have just about every "wrong" part available on my 310 which has resulted in me building the most awful swivel arm in existance!

IMG_3968_zpsf191d8f5.jpg

• Like 1

Tim

i had the same issue with a 314-8

it was hitting the part of the pedal that the rod is connected to

i put a few washers between the lever and the plow frame and it now clears it

post-2536-0-91194600-1358379320_thumb.jp

post-2536-0-67987200-1358379334_thumb.jp

post-2536-0-11260600-1358379347_thumb.jp

Jeremy Watson

I believe the notch in the handle goes towards the footrest. Making the bend to the outside. I have it this way one my 520.

Jeremy

• Like 1

C100

I have been trying to send pictures of my angle arm/brake pedal without success. It says the file is too large. I will keep working on it.

Fred

Tim

I believe the notch in the handle goes towards the footrest. Making the bend to the outside. I have it this way one my 520.

Jeremy

I bought the plow new and the handle was set up that way and i never questioned it.

if I did flip it around,then then it looks like the notch would hit my the end of the footrest , giving me even a bigger problem.

take another look at the top two pics, you'll see what i mean.

it would make more sense, what is the purpose of the notch..

varosd

according to the manual.

"Mount the handle with the top of the 2 inch offset (bend) INBOARD for all 1974 and later manual tranny models with separate clutch and brake. mount the handle with the offset OUTBOARD on all (automatics) other models"

the offset meaning the bend in the handle.

C100

Here are my brake/plow angle pics.

post-9153-0-28273200-1358884453_thumb.jp

post-9153-0-72751800-1358884454_thumb.jp

post-9153-0-18898100-1358884456_thumb.jp

doc724

I had a 314-8 that I sold last year. The plow I used was one I bought when I had a late 70's C series. On the 314-8, the pivoting lever did in fact hit the muffler when you pushed the lever forward (pivot left). I never had any problem getting the locking pin to engage though. I don't recall any problems hitting the brake when pivoting right. I had the pivot handle exactly thae same direction as poster Tim, however, I did NOT have any washers between the handle and the plow frame. Hope this helps. P.S. is the rear support centered on the rear axle (side to side)? Was the "A" frame sprung, meaning damaged so it does not sit properly with respect to the tractor?

sorekiwi

Just a guess here, but if you turned your lever around the other way (and switched the cable lever around to suit) then the portion of the lever above the pivot would point slightly forwards instead of slightly backward. That may give you clearance on your brake pedal (and hopefully not create a problem with it going to far forward and into the PTO).

varosd

looks like you don't have any bend at all by the picture here is a picture of my mid 80's blade

plow2.jpg

see the "bend" inwards for 8-speeds and if you have Auto, you just flip it around. I'm sure you could try to bend it in order to clear the pedal but might then not angle correct as it still has to be attached at the bottom to angle.

doc724

I think we have diagnosed the problem. That handle does not go with that plow on a 300 series tractor. Best to go shop around for the proper handle. Partstree can probably sell you a new one. At least you can get the correct P/N there. There is a bone yard in PA that likely has a used one. Good hunting

kpinnc

I think we have diagnosed the problem. That handle does not go with that plow on a 300 series tractor. Best to go shop around for the proper handle. Partstree can probably sell you a new one. At least you can get the correct P/N there. There is a bone yard in PA that likely has a used one. Good hunting

Or just buy a section of 1/4-inch flat bar and fab up what works best for you. Much cheaper and no guess work!

Just my two cents...

C100

I want to thank the group for the help on my angle lever issue on my 310-8. doc724 definitely has the answer, that the lever is not the correct one for this tractor, although, the rest of the frame, lift lever and hitch fit like a glove. There is a 300 series blade on Ebay with a series of pictures, one of which is a good shot of the angle lever. That is the lever I need for sure, so I will have to research that. I may do as kpinnc suggested and get some bar stock and adapt what I have. If we continue with this snow drought, it will be a real non-issue.

Fred