Terry M

LUCAS OIL

Terry M

OK, Today at work I over heard a couple of co-workers talking about LUCAS Lubricants. I try not to live in a shell, but until the brand was mentioned in one of my recent posts, I'd never heard of this brand. I could drive down to the local auto parts store and ask them, but I'll be working almost every day at work and its easier and more informative and more interesting to ask red square people.

So , can anybody share some info about LUCAS oils, gear lubes, etc.? Is it really some good stuff? Thanks for any/all replys.

clintonnut

I use the oil stabilizer in my Cummins diesel and the ZDDP (zinc) additive in my small engines and the diesel. Anything with flat mechanical tappets should use ZDDP additive because they removed it from all modern oils.

baerpath

Some say it's good. Others say not so good. Your choice. I didn't like it when I had it in my puller only time I used it.

Tankman

I use Lucas gear lube in the tranny; 85w140. Inexpensive.

UPS keeps track, thousands of vehicles, use 80w90 Mobil 1 synthetic gear lube in their

delivery trucks.

A friend races autos, he was getting one race per rear. With Mobil 1 synthetic he is

getting three races per rear. Must be something to it.

My Horses aren't racing, usually crawling about. Think synthetic is the way to go in the future? :eusa-think:

specialwheelhorse

Yep the last two have it in the trany, hope its good stuff !!!!!!!!!

CasualObserver

I have no opinion on their products, but would rate them in the same category as Amsoil, Duragard and Advantage Oil. Just smaller private distributorship kind of lubricants and auto care products. Like brands of gasolines, what you're really paying for is the additive packages.

Terry M

I have no opinion on their products, but would rate them in the same category as Amsoil, Duragard and Advantage Oil. Just smaller private distributorship kind of lubricants and auto care products. Like brands of gasolines, what you're really paying for is the additive packages.

I would agree Jason!!!

stevasaurus

I've been using Lucas transmission additive to pre-lube bearings and gears and shafts when I rebuild transmissions. I like how it sticks and hangs in there. I think that it smooths out and quiets the gears meshing also. While, I am not using very much in the transmission, knowing that everything is well lubed before running it is peace of mind. I am also confident that it will stay lubed if I decide to store the transmission for some time. :)

• Like 1

Butch

Speed shops carry Lucas lubricants. I don't know if all of Lucas products are synthetics or not. I just flushed the power steering fluid in my wifes car and

replaced it with Lucas synthetic power steering fluid. I've heard of Lucas for as long as I can remember.

Tankman

Speed shops carry Lucas lubricants. I don't know if all of Lucas products are synthetics or not. I just flushed the power steering fluid in my wifes car and

replaced it with Lucas synthetic power steering fluid. I've heard of Lucas for as long as I can remember.

And, bein' in Joisey, Lucas is in every Pep Boys! :-)

• Like 1

dbartlett1958

While I cannot speak for all of Lucas's products, I will RAVE about their Power Steering Stop Leak. I have a 2001 Saab 9-3 with a zillion miles on it and had a leaking power steering rack. Local repair place wanted to swap the rack. I tried the Lucas product for $8.00 and haven't looked back. It has been over 2 years and haven't had to add fluid once.

With that experience I would not hesitate to try one of their other products.

• Like 3

Save Old Iron

While I cannot speak for all of Lucas's products, I will RAVE about their Power Steering Stop Leak.

Ditto's on that product. My success story is avoiding what a popular muffler and brake chain said would be a $1400 steering rack replacement. I also have about 2 years time after the addition of the product without any signs of leakage.

Kevbo

Lucas makes good stuff. I have used the oil additive in my Briggs engines and the gear oil in my trannys. However, I am pondering if Mobil 1 Synthetic is better than Lucas...I hear a lot talk about it being the best so if that is the case I may think to switch over. I have never tried Lucas oil but they do make very good additives.

Lane Ranger

I have used Lucas products but I am not sure they are any "better" or different from most other additives and lubricants. Maybe better promoted through NASCAR circuit and speedshops but you have alternatives!

• Like 1

Save Old Iron

I have used Lucas products but I am not sure they are any "better" or different from most other additives and lubricants. Maybe better promoted through NASCAR circuit and speedshops but you have alternatives!

I'm with Lane on this one.

When someone states "I like Lucas" and stops talking, that is just an opinion / personal preference and without further clarification, remains just an opinion. Manufacturers love to play Jedi mind tricks on the weak minded by advertising a product with bright colors that stand out on a store shelf or hope you like the "advertising" provided by a bikini clad model on a Saturday sales commercial masquerading as a hot rod show. She does try so hard to show us how to get the best performance out of a "rear end" or correct "sagging front end parts". Doesn't she?

Next up is "because my friend says he gets more runs of a transmission when he uses it". Now we are getting somewhere and at least have an argument to be made for its use. Of course the argument is based on here say, but you do have my attention. I'm still listening for a reason this is so. Could it just as easily be attributed to a metallurgy change in the diff gears, not the lube? Could it be your friend is now better at setting up the diff's than before? Or gets a better 1 - 2 shift off with out jolting the diff as hard. Too many unknown variables for me to attribute the change in performance to just on factor.

If you hear a statement like "Lucas puts XYZ additive in their product which has been "race" proven to allow ABC to happen, then I ask myself "No doubt then it is a benefit to racers. Do I realize ANY benefit by using a product twice to three times the cost of a product that lasted 10 - 40 years in the original transmission I'm tearing apart?" What you have here is a niche specific benefit. Prime examples are race-proven engine oils. I don't think racers are leaving this oil in their engines for 3000+ miles and for over 6 months.

Ok. Synthetics are used by UPS.

Interesting.

Now I put down my Sunday paper down and you have my full attention.

gopher-look.gif

Lower viscosity weight oils in the rear axles you say.

The whole fleet you say?

I'm of the opinion someone ran the numbers on this changeover and saw a benefit. A fleet manager's reputation and career depend on such accurate analysis of the facts. Even if the benefit was 0.1 MPG more per truck than without this change - with the miles UPS travels, that's a no cost, profit generating addition after several thousand miles. They are on it like a dog on a bone. But they are still going to change out the oil before it ages and has a chance to collect condensation in the axle assy. Sooooo..... I ask myself is this any benefit to me in a LGT transaxle scenario. It may make you feel good 'cause you are using the stuff the big boys use, but unfortunately you're not using the WAY the big boys use it.

If you want my hard earned dollars, show me (by the numbers or example - no opinions pleeeez ) a product that can provide long term resistance against absorbing water after exposure to condensation. Add to that at least the same or better protection than the original product provided. Those are attributes I can really use - and will pay for. Something that protects infrequently used assemblies subjected to adverse exposure to changing levels of temperature and humidity.

Until then, I will probably just drain out the "regular" oil at $8 quart on a regular schedule versus hope the $20 quart "race proven product" gives me some as yet unidentified or proven benefit.

• Like 8

855ownerJoel

I have to agree that frequent, regular fluid changes is very important and I personally am not convinced that using the same brand because, a racer uses it or UPS is the key. These are not run the same as a UPS truck or Race Car. With LGT your use is different. Check fluids regularily, change when necessary and on schedule and you should get great performance and life out of your equipment.

bitten

I use the Lucas fuel treatment and have had the best luck with it.  

dw83415

Hello, I have used Lucas oil products my whole adult life and have personally seen the oil treatment correct oil sensors in two cars, and the transmission fix provide better shifting in many cars and trucks.

But I will share why I use there products, in the mid to late 90's they would set up a big display at the michigan agricultural festival for at least a couple years. They would hand out daily schedules for the demonstrations where they would take engines and transmissions and tear them down to show the audience the condition of the innerds, then rebuild and add the products. They would do a long abuse cycle or some loud demonstration, then tear the thing apart again to show the difference. Needless to say, this took fooooorever! and most people would wander back and forth for the interesting parts (myself included). I personally work on people and not engines for a living so I can't say something too technical about what I saw at those demonstrations, but I will say that carbon deposits were cleared and some nasty old gunk deposit spots looked polished up.

Just sharing my meager knowledge on this...

Tankman

Frequent oil changes, I change oil way more then necessary in my Horses.

I started watchin' oil many years ago when I owned diesels and Road Ranger transmissions. Waste oil was examined/tested for carbon, metals, etc., part of fleet

maintenance. Fix it before it breaks.

The UPS observation was just that. Why they did, what they do, doesn't matter.

My Stallions are always clean, inside and out. Oil is inexpensive enough.

FYI. I sold a 300D Turbo Benz with 375,000 miles on it for five grand, years ago.

Oil changed every 3000 miles, used semi-synthetic Dryden (I knew Dryden).

• Like 2

Indy520H

They even have a really big football stadium in Indianapolis

• Like 1

KC9KAS

Just this morning at the coffee shop a fellow said he was going somewhere in his 'Vette", and would be putting LUCAS fuel additive in it.

I guess when you have a $60,000 automobile and drive it 3 or 4 hundred miles a year you need to use good expensive products!

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

Ken:  You sure it wasn't a LUCAS relative??

Yes and the Indianapolis Colts stadium is a taxpayer funded one at several hundred million dollars.  

Edited by Lane Ranger

Bluffhunter

I can verify that the Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant gets my 4 wheel drive 4-5 miles more to the gallon fuel mileage. I can buy it once a year at Farmfest for $20.00 per gallon where at the parts stores it will run $10.00- $12.00 a quart.

RMCIII

Amsoil, check it out. The tests speak for themselves. Against Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Lucas, ect.

• Like 1

baerpath

Amsoil, check it out. The tests speak for themselves. Against Mobil 1, Royal Purple, Lucas, ect.

Use what ya want everybody makes the best out there by their tests.  We use Cenpeco as it's worked the best for our application

• Like 2