Sign in to follow this  
HorseWhisperer

How far is too far?

cjtrott

my 551 saw two shows and a couple hundred miles before it got to its new home thanks to RS members.

• Like 2

artfull dodger

It wasnt a WH, but I had a gentleman and his son drive from upstate Vermont to Erie, PA to pick up a vintage Artic Cat snowmobile I had for sale. They collected them and were always looking for ones that ran and were not modified or hotrodded out. Wife and I miss Erie and dont miss it at the same time. Her folks still live in Lake City, so we get back there from time to time. Mike

• Like 1

jimbo7921

I did 9 hours round trip 2 stops for a blade chains and weights. Shows how much i hate to shovel snow!!!

• Like 2

midnight rambler

i have driven 27 hrs round trip for a tractor? even hauled one back from orlando while on vacation

• Like 2

diesel cowboy

It wasnt for a wheel horse but I drove about 15 hrs round trip to Pottsville, Pa to get a DeSoto that was in nice shape other than needing an engine which I had in one with a bad frame and body an 2 round trips to Buffalo, Ny at about 20+ hrs each. One to get a Bready garden tractor and one to get a Stewart truck that had been turned into a doodle bug. I guess its all in how bad you want it as to how far your willing to go. Stewart

specialwheelhorse

I feel so sorry for you guys up north when you have to travel a few miles to get a tractor

Thats just horrible.

Note: Traveled from Mississippi To central New jerzey in a Mercury Marquis with the back seat

out and disassembled a 701 and brought it back, comfy ride and nice tractor then a few months later

went to north Jerzey and picked up another one, now we have his and hers in the shed.

Both 701s are now in very good condition,

Jim @ Dee Rodgers now in Texas

• Like 4

jay in nc

i drove from selma nc. to tidiute pa.16 hours one way for my ac.B10, but this tractor was the one i plowed snow on while i was a teenager. i also brought back my commando 8, baird-beaver, & a sears custom 6 from s.w. pa. on this trip. Jay

• Like 3

MalMac

How far is too far? Well it's all in how you look at what degree of Wheel Horse nut you are. Looking at some of the prior post it makes me fill a little better on all the traveling I have done to chase down a Wheel Horse tractor or attachment. There is no common sense to any of this. Any of the acquisitions that I have traveled for would have to be made of gold to even try and recover what it cost to get them, then fix them up. I guess it's just a passion in every sense of the word. A love way down deep inside that only another Wheel Horse nut can understand. So to ask how far is too far. Too far can only be measured in the degree of how bad you want it. When it comes down to common sense you can not even use that word when it comes to a Wheel Horse collecting because it's a whole different world you inter with really no exit. It just keeps sucking you in deeper. Here lately it does not even care if your young or old. Once it's got you it's got you.

• Like 1

Ken B

I did a 14 hr round trip a few yrs ago. At that time I had a 91 Jeep Cherokee that had 240,000 miles on it. She never let me down. I was halfway to getting to the guys house when it was time to top off the tank. I pulled off to the truck stop/gas station along the highway to fuel up. As I'm walking around the front of the Jeep I see at least a quart of oil under my Jeep! Yep, it was from mine. I knew that rear main seal was weak but Damn! I mulled it over for a second (maybe two) and said screw it, I'm gonna roll the dice. I didn't come this far for nothing. I topped off the tank (and the oil) and continued on my merry way. I made it to my destination, bought the boat and trailer BACK that I sold this clown only a few months earlier! Yeah I know, who's really the clown here? I stopped off at the local NAPA and decided to give some rear main seal swell snake juice a try. Worked for me! Made it home going 70mph the whole way while cranking some Waylon Jennings and Johny Cash, with not a care in the world.........Do it, ya only live once.

Oh man, almost forgot, then there was the time I bought that travel trailer way up in Mass. Ah, I'll have to save that story for another time!

• Like 1

specialwheelhorse

Ask Lars in Norway if he had been able to come across the big pond,How far is to far !!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

SousaKerry

I saw a walk behind on one of the boards once for free just had to pick it up, So me and a buddie jumped in his truck and drove to up state NY from MI about an 8 hr drive, pulled her outta the weeds and kept finding more implements the more bushes we whacked, That was a fun trip..

WheelHorse79

3 weeks ago I picked up the 854 pictured in my profile. Drove 1100 miles round trip from Richmond, VA to Mansfield OH and back. Left at 4:30 a.m. and returned at 11:00 p.m. the same day. It was a very long day but well worth it. :)

• Like 1

baerpath

I saw a walk behind on one of the boards once for free just had to pick it up, So me and a buddie jumped in his truck and drove to up state NY from MI about an 8 hr drive, pulled her outta the weeds and kept finding more implements the more bushes we whacked, That was a fun trip..

I went from upstate NY to upper Michigan after a C195, then down to Kelly's and home. Would I do it again ya betcha !

Lane Ranger

My brother and I did a sixteen hour -two day trip to Canada and back for a 1964 1054 several years ago and I would jump in the truck in a heartbeat again for the right tractor!

The only thing I was worried about was U.S. Customs and they were no problem at the border.

You won't regret it!

Edited by Lane Ranger

CasualObserver

Only an 8 hour round trip? Depending on what you drive, that's probably only $100-150 in gas at most. Would you pay $450 to have found that down the street? I'm going to guess yes. So then, it's really only about the time. That's not even a whole day. Get up and leave by 4 and you're home at noon.... or leave at 4 in the afternoon and be home by midnight. It's only 8 hours. I went farther than that for one thing on an auction! 18 hour round trip to bag my first 4 wheeled wagon several years ago. :thumbs:

• Like 1

redidbull

9 hrs round trip and even rented a van to get my 73 home from upstate NY to Ct. Only problem was the gas smell on the way home. Jim

sscotsman

My current limit is 3-hours away, one way..would prefer only 2 hours.

but thats only because my 1999 Chevy pickup is getting a bit elderly! ;)

it left me stranded for the first time last summer..

I dont trust it enough to take it any more than 2 or 3 hours from home..

so thats another thing to factor into the equation! ;) for some people..how much you trust your transportation.

Scot

buckrancher

8 hours round trip thats a normal outing for the wife and I

I have been looking at that tractor also to buy but I keep thinking over thirty some tractors I need it like a hole in my head

Brian

• Like 1

JackC

I paid a guy over a $1,000 to go get a horse for me. I did not want to take a chance on having it shipped and I wanted it bad enough but did not have the time to go get it.

Shipping is an option and would cost maybe a few hundred.

I love road trips and took my grandson on many long ones in the beginning. We had a great time together and shared the driving. It is always neat meeting other horse nuts. I have enough horses now that I pass on most deals that are not close. Best to not even look.

rydogg

my 551 saw two shows and a couple hundred miles before it got to its new home thanks to RS members.

Erie,Pa to Le Sueur Mn is about 15 hours...here is a picture of it at the Le Sueur MN show before I brought it home aslo sitting with it is a 502 I got from Indiana thanks to RS members. My limit for driving is about 4 hours one way and it has to be pretty special for me to go that far since my truck is getting about 12mpg. A lot of sellers are willing to meet part way which helps a lot.

LeSueurshow2012006.jpg

• Like 1

cjtrott

Hey Ryan!! I am so excited to see this picture! How is the little guy doing?!?! Running, moving, and mowing yet?!

• Like 1

HorseWhisperer

Well,after the recent inspiration of driving up to baerpath s mountain top estate I will attempt a Saturday morning adventure.If it's still there,it's gonna be my birthday present.The bride said she will make the trip!Bwahahahahaahaha

buckrancher

Well,after the recent inspiration of driving up to baerpath s mountain top estate I will attempt a Saturday morning adventure.If it's still there,it's gonna be my birthday present.The bride said she will make the trip!Bwahahahahaahaha

besure to stop in at cuba cheese in cuba NY off 17/86 west

Brian

• Like 1

Raider12

Road Trip? Yep, Iv done it. A little over a year ago a buddy and I took off for Duxbury MA from Akron Ohio for a 520. And on the way back I picked up another 520H with a snow blower and tiller. We still talk about this trip. 679 miles one way not including the additional stop to buy or sell equipment along the way. Memories!

HorseWhisperer

Road Trip? Yep, Iv done it. A little over a year ago a buddy and I took off for Duxbury MA from Akron Ohio for a 520. And on the way back I picked up another 520H with a snow blower and tiller. We still talk about this trip. 679 miles one way not including the additional stop to buy or sell equipment along the way. Memories!

*Jaw drops to floor* :bow-blue: