Sign in to follow this  
gottahavvitt

1952 WH????

gottahavvitt

I just put an ad on Craigs list in the wanted section and got a call from a guy that says he has 2 WH tractors from 1952. I looked in the picture gallery and the oldest listed is from 1956.

One runs with a replacement motr and still has the original motor. The other has the original motor but not sure if it runs. They are both 3 speeds w9th one of them being recently rebuilt.

The owner does not know what model it is but thinks he still has the manual.

The owner says he would like to get 2 or 3 hundred for the pair.

Seeing that I am new to this obsession I was hoping for some feedback as to the value of one of these so I can make an informed offer.

PS I am NOT looking to make a profit on this machine. Just trying to catch up to the rest of you guys.

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Joe

T-Mo

Joe,

That would be quite a find, if true. It won't hurt to go see them and for the price he's wanting, $200 for the pair, I say grab them before someone else here does. B)

gottahavvitt

What would be the corresponding model names or numbers associated with a WH of this age?

Thanks for the quick response

Joe

CasualObserver

Joe... 1952 is not out of the realm of possibility... but it would mean that they are Pond tractors rather than Wheel Horse. I'm not sure there were manuals for those models though. B) Could have been. I've got a copy of a 1954 two wheeler manual. Do you know whether they are two or four wheel tractors? Pictures would make a world of difference, please see if you can get some and we'll help you identify them! B) Regardless of the age... I'd guess your not getting hurt at the price. If he'd like to get two or three hundred... that means he'll definitely take two... and maybe even one-fifity. :whistle: Never know till you ask!

CasualObserver

I don't think model numbers started until they became Wheel Horse in 1955. Then they started with the RJ-25, RJ-35, and RS-83 models. Before that they were known as The Wheel Horse Garden Tractor by Pond, and before that just Pond Garden Tractors.

gottahavvitt

Jason,

I called the guy back and he says everything he has has the year 1952 on it. He does not have a digital camera but he is going to get back to me with a more detailed description before I drive all the way out there.

Pictures or not though curiosity is starting to get the best of me so I am sure I will be making the trip within a day or two.

I will post all information as soon as I get it.

Thanks

Joe

linen beige

I've not seen any Wheel Horses that had a model year on them anywhere, other than what can be decoded from model numbers or '65 and later build tags. I would venture a guess that since he says they have three speed transmissions they are more likely 1962 models. He says one of the trannys is recently rebuilt. I find it hard to beleive that he could have had that done, or even done it himself, without discovering the rarity of not one, but two from 1952.

gottahavvitt

I've not seen any Wheel Horses that had a model year on them anywhere, other than what can be decoded from model numbers or '65 and later build tags. I would venture a guess that since he says they have three speed transmissions they are more likely 1962 models. He says one of the trannys is recently rebuilt. I find it hard to beleive that he could have had that done, or even done it himself, without discovering the rarity of not one, but two from 1952.

It is the literature, manual, that says 1952 not any tags on the tractor itself.

linen beige

It is the literature, manual, that says 1952 not any tags on the tractor itself.

Find out A.S.A.P. if these are two, or four wheeled machines!

If they are indeed from 1952, and you can steal, er. get BOTH for $200, especially if they are four wheeled, DO IT TODAY!

But, DO NOT, I say DO NOT buy them sight unseen! Remember, the seller called you, he may not be on the up and up.

T-Mo

Joe,

Any news?

WheelHorse_of_course

Joe,

Any news?

Yeah - you are killing us with suspense..... B)

kpinnc

Sounds like he's thinking something along the lines of "552, etc.." meaning it's a 1952 model maybe?

Good luck, either way! Even if both are 62 models, $200 for both is a great deal...

Kevin

gottahavvitt

I know I know!!!!!!! It is killing me too but there is nothing I can do. I just called the owner and he is in Niagara Falls. (slowly I turned) He said he is positive it was bought off the showroom floor in 1952 and he will dig out the paperwork on Monday when he gets back.

Sorry guys but the minute I get the answers to my questions I will let everyone know.

It is going to be a long weekend!!

Joe

T-Mo

... he is in Niagara Falls. (slowly I turned)....

Anytime you can referenced a 3 Stooges line, then, we can wait.... B)

gottahavvitt

Anytime you can referenced a 3 Stooges line, then, we can wait.... :whistle:

I believe it was a Abbott and Costello routine. Step by step. B)

T-Mo

Not to stay OT too long, but both Abbott and Costello and the Three Stooges did this routine. I remember the Three Stooges version the most. B) Step by step, Inch by inch......

wh500special

I am really hoping for you that they are indeed both '52 models. If so, they are probably "Seniors" since most people (average Joe and WH collector alike) rarely seem to refer to the walk behind models as "tractors".

Keep your fingers crossed!

i see from your profile that you're in MA. i am wondering if there were any dealers in that area way back in '52. Perhaps the gent could be a transplant too.

That was an era where WH was really still a small time operation essentially banging together tractors in a small shop. Distribution was probably pretty limited, but there were apparently Seniors sold in your neck of the woods very early on (I am thinking of Silvis's hoodless senior in Marino's book). I wonder how established the tractor deaership network was. Really, things didn't take off significantly until the RJ's were introduced in '55.

So if these are indeed '52 models, you really really have something special! Even if they are from the 60's though, they are still prized little machines, so I think you're going to come out smelling pretty sweet on this deal. Unless they were used to haul manure...

Here's to hoping for your good fortune!

Steve

CasualObserver

Bump. chestram.gif Looking for an update. xfingers.gif Joe?

BPjunk

ANY TIME ANY TIME ANY TIME I read a ad listing that says old Wheel Horse in the 40's or 50's the tractor usaly is a early 60's round hood.

It is also strange that a person who can read the internet has no way to get a picture sent .... now years ago not everybody had a digital camera soa a photo had to be scaned and this did take time.

Let us know what the guys sellin'

Wild Bill in Richmond, Va.

gottahavvitt

still no definate answers yet. I just went back to work so my time is scarce and the

guy is gone most weekends. VERY frustrating.

as soon as i get to see this thing in person I will let you all know what the deal is.

I will probably do a new post when that happens.

Joe

Duff

still no definate answers yet. I just went back to work so my time is scarce and the

guy is gone most weekends. VERY frustrating.

as soon as i get to see this thing in person I will let you all know what the deal is.

I will probably do a new post when that happens.

Joe

Good luck, Joe!

There's a bunch of us out here followin' this story like a bunch of news junkies! :banana:

Speaking of "junkies", does anyone else besides me go on line and read this forum over morning coffee? I used to read the paper but the news in the rest of the world for the most part sucks, and at least here there's generally good news, always good fellowship, and a whole lotta useful info!

Duff B)

T-Mo

Duff,

It's one of the first things I do when I get into work is to visit RS. And I usually go here again during lunch, and I spend time in the evening here also. I guess you can say I'm a RS junkie. B)

Duff

Duff,

It's one of the first things I do when I get into work is to visit RS. And I usually go here again during lunch, and I spend time in the evening here also. I guess you can say I'm a RS junkie. :whistle:

I gotta confess, I'm right behind ya, Terry! Morning coffeee break, lunch, at home in the evening...and the occasional "sneak peek" during the day. Didn't mention it in my first post 'cuz I didn't wan't to seem too :banana: :banana: :banana:

I guess there are a whole lot worse "addictions", eh? B)

Duff :horseplay:

gottahavvitt

This just in!!!!!!! I had the day off today because of rain so I went and looked at the tractor. I will probably go back with my trailer next week to pick it up.

The guy wants 300 for everything which includes the original Kohler, 2 plows (only saw one though. Might be a grader blade by the way described it, Cultivator, parts tractor, (pretty much beat up but the tranny is good) and a bunch of other stuff.

I deal in antiques and one of phrases that comes to mind is "It is worth what someone is willing to pay for it" So to me I think I am willing to spend $300 on the whole kit and caboodle.

I am posting some pics and am hoping to get a response something like "You would be crazy not to buy it" B)

http://havvitt.pho.to/albums/52wh_jpg

BTW he still hasn't found the manual or paperwork yet. The only numbers I could find on it is the number 2159 which is stamped in the center of the steering wheel. It was so crowded that it was hard to see.

refracman

I for sure but it either a 58 or a 59

looks good though, and yup with 2 B) its worth the 300 to bad they aint 52s it would of been a steal