Martin

blower rebuild

Martin

was entertaining the idea of buying a heavy hitch bracket for the suitcase weights, but one thing led to another and i ended up throwing together a bracket out of some scrap laying around. i did it much the same way Scott did above on his. piece of 2 " square about 7 inches long for the insert, piece of 3/8 x 2 inch flat for the weights to rest on and a couple odd brackets on the ends to stop the weights sliding off and also so i can put a piece of 1/2 round rod across the top of the weights to keep them in there position. they are probably not going to move very far as they are reasonably snug on the bracket, but if i feel the need to put a rod across the top the provision is there.

i also got rid of the green paint. for the time being the john deere branding will stay there....... :hide:

post-4321-0-79039200-1417725782_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-70846800-1417725786_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-79056500-1417725790_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-33593900-1417725794_thumb.jp

post-4321-0-00390500-1417725800_thumb.jp

• Like 5

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Martin,,,as always. Over the top with good work. Enjoying this thread.

Re: snow blowers, since discovering them last year the plow became ol hat. Especially at my home finding places to pile the snow. Its much better "chucking" that stuff. Imho

Second and most important, listen up fellas, who can duplicate that rear weight bracket? That is the cats meow,,,,,I would like one like that, but I sure cant build it. Mabye others want one to??????

Where is our fabricator folk?

• Like 2

dclarke

Nice job, Martin.

• Like 2

Geno

Very sweet Martin, as always.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 3

PaulC

Yes Martin looking very good!! But that is some serious weight on that tractor! With all that weight and just ags how is your traction? Im assuming you don't plan to run chains?

I looked into those suitcase weights from Depot but I am to cheap to spend the $250 on them :laughing-rofl:. I started looking at making my own with a bracket to mount just like what you did. I am slightly concerned about tearing up my driveway though with the extra weight because I run chains? My driveway is flat so I very rarely lack traction but my neighbors approach is on a slight angle and I had trouble there and nearly got stuck.

Jerseyhawg I have the ability and access to the proper material and equipment to make stuff like this so I would be willing to help you out but Martin can obviously have first crack at it. Martin I would be happy to work with you on the bracket also if its something your interested in, I do really like what you came up with. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

Martin

Paul, i don't like using chains on my driveway, so the weight is all I've got. the ags really don't grip that well and i thought about getting a set of the all trail tires i have on the other 416.

as far as the weight bracket goes, i just gathered a couple pieces of steel and welded them together. as far as being my idea, i stole it from Scott Moreau, he posted above with a pic of his and the same weights. the bracket is made from the following pieces.......

2" square tube 7 inches long, need to drill a 5/8" hole for the drawbar pin to go through.

3/8" (i think so) x 2" flat bar approx 15" long.

weld the 2" square to the middle of the flat.

then weld a piece of plate say 1" x 4" to each end to stop the weights sliding off. i don't think you really need a bar across the top to hold the weights down. that would be handy if the tractor rolled, but if that was the case, i think i would have more important concerns to deal with than the weights coming off. they are a snug fit on the bar and some finesse is needed to pull them off without a little resistance.

i don't have any more bar here, it was just a piece i had laying around and the 2" square can be had already with the hole drilled in the right position from one of the towing equipment suppliers that stock them. its the most basic of brackets i could think of doing and seeing that pic Scott posted, prompted me to go ahead and make one. i was going to spend $120 +ship to get a Heavy Hitch weight bracket that would hold 6 weights. I seen one on the back of one of John Matthews' tractors (shallowwatersailor), they are a neat bracket and i may even get one in the future. but for the time being, I'm being cheap, Chrismas is coming along quick and i have a large family!!!!

Glenn, i would see if somebody close to you could whip one up for you, could probably get it done for what it would cost for me to ship you one......

heres the Heavy Hitch.....

DSCF9408_zps8b839893.jpg

msg-3066-0-17868600-1417387736_thumb.jpg

Edited by Martin
  • Like 2

Mr. 856

Martin......I couldn't help but notice the blue bin sitting on the floor in one of your pictures. Could you tell me what the name is on it please? My father owned a company for years that that produced and sold those bins under the name of "Linbin". His big competition at the time was Akro Mils. They are big catalog suppliers. My grandfather actually started Linvar in England where the bin and mounting system was designed. We moved into the states in the very early 80's for my father to start Linvar North America. The business was successful for many years until my father had a brain aneurism and the company was sold. I believe they are still running but not the capacity they once did. They put a ton of there product into Sikorski, etc back in the day. Anyway not to highjack the thread but I saw that blue bin and couldn't resist to ask. Your tractor is amazing and you do awesome work. the weights look fantastic!

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Paul and Martin, dont worry about the weight brackets. We all have enough to do around the holidays. I forgot all about the heavy hitch,,,,,,,,,but thank you for responses and also, and more important. " IDEAS "

thanks again fellas and great work.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 2

Martin

Martin......I couldn't help but notice the blue bin sitting on the floor in one of your pictures. Could you tell me what the name is on it please? My father owned a company for years that that produced and sold those bins under the name of "Linbin". His big competition at the time was Akro Mils. They are big catalog suppliers. My grandfather actually started Linvar in England where the bin and mounting system was designed. We moved into the states in the very early 80's for my father to start Linvar North America. The business was successful for many years until my father had a brain aneurism and the company was sold. I believe they are still running but not the capacity they once did. They put a ton of there product into Sikorski, etc back in the day. Anyway not to highjack the thread but I saw that blue bin and couldn't resist to ask. Your tractor is amazing and you do awesome work. the weights look fantastic!

interesting story, the name on the side is that of the competition though, akro mills.......

thanks for all the great input guys....

Paul, im in the process of making a front section for the chute from the same material as i did for the lower section. will be painting it early next week and installing it. now we just need some decent snowfall, i want to hear that Onan loaded up and see that white stuff flying......

• Like 3

km3h

As usual a beautiful job Martin. That snow looked pretty wet. The blower seemed to handle it with no problem.  

• Like 1

PaulC

I went back and watched your video and it looks like u will also benefit from that front cover it helps direct all of the snow right where you want it. Having it held on with just a few bolts will make it nice and easy to remove if certain conditions warrant that. I'm glad it worked out as an after thought lol.

I have some suitcase weights and a bracket like that drawn up at work. I am still on the fence about adding weight but if and when I do I'll be sure to post some pics. And Glenn I'll keep u in mind if I make something up.

• Like 1

PaulC

O and I'm also dying for some snow which is nuts to say living here in buffalo a few weeks ago but all I have is about 3 snowballs worth left on my lawn haha. If you saw my thread I was still working on my blowers and tractors when we got that snow so I was scrambling to get them together so I could use them.

Now I have both Tractors and blowers in the best shape they've been in in years and also got both of my sleds ready to go which adds to my wanting of snow. Bring it on Mother Nature!!!

• Like 1

bmsgaffer

Bring it on Mother Nature!!!

Be careful what you wish for! :angry-extinguishflame:

• Like 1