Sign in to follow this  
krazy_horse

Spark plugs

krazy_horse

I am going to give my C-121 a full tune up for Christmas. What is your opinion is the best spark plug for the big block Kohler? Thanks! krazy_horse

squonk

Autolite 216 :thumbs:

smoreau

I use champion H10C plugs in mine.

sgtsampay

I have always used E-3 plugs in mine. I really like how they rarely foul up on me. :)

bowtiebutler956

I am going to give my C-121 a full tune up for Christmas. What is your opinion is the best spark plug for the big block Kohler? Thanks! krazy_horse

You sure got alot of different answers. :ROTF: Like Scott, I'm using the Champion H10C in my K301, but thats mostly because it was cheap, and so am I. :ychain: I tune my equipment up pretty regularly, so I don't buy alot of fancy, expensive parts. :twocents-02cents: That still makes 2 votes for the H10C. :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 2

Kelly

Can't think of the no. off the top of my head, but I like NGK, or Autolite.

• Like 1

TT

I use Autolite plugs in everything but the Yamaha carts and the Stihl equipment at work. (they get NGK plugs)

MaineDad

Autolite 216 here too

varosd

Champion or whatever is on sale...I'm cheap (thrifty) too, Matt! :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Tankman

I use champion H10C plugs in mine.

Using the same Champion plug on four Kohlers. RH10C.

Manual called for the RH10 but, don't think it is still available.

The "C" stands for copper core. Plugs hold up well in my 12, 14 & 16 hp Kohler engines.

http://www.sparkplug-crossreference.com/convert/CHAMP_PN/RH10C

Presently thinkin' of a roller for my gravel. :-)

• Like 1

gregg'shorses

Champion H10C

bowtiebutler956

That makes 5 votes Champion, 4 Autolite, 1 NGK, 1 E3. The Campion plugs are the champion! :ROTF:

Matt :flags-texas:

• Like 1

Wheel-N-It

Copper core all the way. The high tech plugs are for high tech ignition systems. The high tech plugs are good, but you have to have alot of voltage to fire them correctly. You will get better spark from an old Kohler if you use the low tech copper core spark plugs.

And you will save money :)

• Like 5

rick

Kohler says Champion H10, so.........

• Like 1

pumper.atv

i run champions in all our kohlers (10)

"D"- Man

Chapion H10C IN MINE.

JC 1965

I used champion in all my tractors but I got some about 2 years ago that were crap. So I switched to Autolite and have been using them ever since. :twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

specialwheelhorse

Years ago when racing dirt track cars we stumbled on what was called at that time

AC-commercial plugs, dont even know if they are available anymore. But they beat

every other plug hands down. Heavy electrods and no problems at any RPM range.

Jim In Texas

smoreau

Copper core all the way. The high tech plugs are for high tech ignition systems. The high tech plugs are good, but you have to have alot of voltage to fire them correctly. You will get better spark from an old Kohler if you use the low tech copper core spark plugs.

And you will save money :)

You took the words right out of my mouth, well said!!

• Like 1

pfrederi

Anything but Champion. A few years ago spent a great deal of time trying to find out why my Charger 12 wouldn't start. I had put in a Champion plug and a few weeks later she balked at starting. Laid the plug on the head and cranked her and got a spark so I spent alot of time fiddling with carb and looking at the points. Then dug out my spark plug tester and low and behold no spark when the plug was installed. Apparently it wouldn't fire when under compression. Last year my C-81 balked at starting it also was a Champion that failed to fire reliably under compression.

tunahead72

I'm currently using an Autolite 216 and a Champion H10C in my two Wheel Horses, and can't really see any difference in the way they run (at least that I can attribute to differences between the spark plugs). I started switching to Autolites a few years ago, starting on my truck, when I realized I'd been hearing "Champions suck" stories for a long time.

I've heard differently recently, independently from two auto parts dealers that I use on a regular basis. They both told me that Champion did indeed have a reputation for many years for poor quality control (stripped threads, cracked insulators, etc.). But apparently they've improved greatly recently, and both guys told me they now have very few problems with the Champions they sell.

I wasn't sure I bought the first dealer's comments, but after hearing the same story from the second, it's now a toss-up for me between Autolites and Champions. But I'm always learning....

The NGK's on the other hand, I've always heard excellent reports on them. Right now I won't use anything else on my (Japanese) motorcycle, and I'll at least consider using them on my Wheel Horses in the spring.

Bluffhunter

I still have a box of Autolite 216's from my old Allis Chalmers tractor, so I will see if my C-161 likes them :)

Earle

I'm old,  my first car was a 1941 Plymouth 4dr, had  one 1955 ford, 3 1956 fords, 1956 buick  roadmaster  4dr hardtop, don't remember some of the cars I had too many, but I always tried to use Champion once in a while AC (After Champion).They probably make a lot better ones now.  Earle

boovuc

My vote is for Autolite as well. They seem to hold up much better overall than the Chamoions. NGK's are a distance 2nd mostly on availability and not in performance.

Fordiesel69

#1 Champion H10C

#2 Autolite 216 

NGK's get used in all 2 stoke equipment of mine.  Autolites get used in each and every push mower as champion small engine plugs are absolute trash now.  Champions larger plugs J8C and bigger are still good.

I have a local motorcycle shop that has older NGK and Champions from the 1980s' and 90's that I buy.