Sign in to follow this  
"D"- Man

WHEEL HORSE 18 AUTO VALUE???

Trouty56

Still looks good for 200....I bet it will fire up for you.......

Wheel-N-It

Well Mark..........things got real quiet after the pics were posted.

If you don't have 200 dollars to blow, don't blow it!

My 2 cents!

QUIET?!?!?!?!?! Heck, we're all getting rested up for the next round of this thread!

C'mon Mark, get that old horse home, feed it some sweet feed, and get him back on all fours and running!

We'll talk you through it! I'm picking up my new find tomorrow, so you won't be alone this weekend. We're just a mouse click away :)

JackC

Mark, you can't leave that horse there to rot. Get it home, give it some love and send us some pictures.

There is lots of help here to get it going if needed.

1maidenfan

WOW I think those are great pix, tractor looks complete with a mower deck!!! :happy-jumpeveryone:

No pto or 3pt hitch but for $200 it would not be sitting there if I was to run into that offer.

Let us know how it goes.

:woohoo::handgestures-thumbupright::greetings-clappingyellow: :banana-rock:

Kevbo

The tractor looks pretty intact and if it runs...$200 is a steal! Go for it bud. :handgestures-thumbupright:

pfrederi

Looks a bit weathered but still a steal at $200. (even if it didn't fire up. as long as there is compression and both pistons move.... I would buy it in a heartbeat!!!

JackC

If you can get it running and clean it up you should be able to get $500 plus for it if you decide not to keep it.

At least it will be rescued from further deterioration.

If you decide not to take it let us know where it is so someone can get it.

If the engine was overhauled, that alone should be worth $500 plus.

Ken B

I'm not really into the D's myself but for 200 bucks I'd roll the dice on it. I think that for sitting outside for a couple of yrs. she don't look too bad. Big mystery is why did he put out to pasture?

JackC

Walmart sells nice horse blankets (heavy duty tarps) for under $15.00.

"D"- Man

WELL I TOOK THE OPPORTUNITY TO SPEND JUST A LITTLE TIME ON THE 18 AUTO TO DAY. I WAS ABLE TO GET THE ENGINE TO TURN OVER BY FIRST PRIMING THE CARBURETOR WITH SOME GAS, FIRED A COUPLE OF TIMES. TRIED AGAIN AFTER ANOTHER SHOT OF GAS AND THIS TIME NOTHING HAPPENED, KIND OF THOUGHT THIS WAS STRANGE SEEING I DONE NOTHING DIFFERENT, I THOUGHT. DECIDED IT WOULD HAVE WAIT AS I HAD ANOTHER APPOINTMENT TO MAKE. THEN I NOTICED THE JUMPER CABLE GROUND WIRE WAS NOT ON, MUST HAVE GOT BUMPED OFF, OH WELL IT STILL HAD TO WAIT TILL LATER AS I DIDN'T HAVE TIME. SORRY THATS ALL FOR NOW I WILL TRY AGAIN WHEN I GET A LITTLE MORE TIME, JUST TOO BUSY WITH OTHER THINGS RIGHT NOW. MARK.

JamesBe1

Looks like you got a good deal for 200.

Congrats.

"D"- Man

HAD SOME TIME TO SPEND ON THE 18 AFTER GETTING IT HOME. DIDN'T REALLY TRY TO GET IT RUNNING, AS THAT MAY HAVE TO WAIT SEEING I HAVE DECIDED TO PART IT OUT INSOFAR AS I AM ABLE. JUST TRYING TO REMOVE ONLY THOSE PARTS THAT ARE NOT PERTAINENT TO IT STARTING AND RUNNING AND AS WELL NECESSARY TO CHECK HYDRO LIFT AND TRANS OPERATIONS. OUT OF CURIOUSITY I CHECKED BOTH HEAD LIGHTS AND THEY NOT ONLY LOOK ORIGINAL BUT THEY BOTH STILL WORK!!!

Kelly

Make it run and drive sell it whole, it should bring $500 if it was in working order, yes it is worth more in parts, but I'm here to tell you it takes time to part a tractor out, and do it right, finding people that need the parts right now, it takes time to sell everything off, it's not a quick thing, I have a number of tractors here that are half parted out waiting for buyers for the rest of the parts, some have been here a couple years.

Oh and turn the cap lock off it makes it hard to read.

leeave96

I agree with Kelly, fix the tractor - but keep it!

I've got several other color tractors that either do not run or are in pieces. It use to drive me nuts seeing them set unfinished, but now I look at them as unread chapters in a book. I'll get to them, but for now I've got plenty to read. No harm done or $$'s need to spent until I'm ready to open that chapter.

Just a thought.

Good luck,

Bill

"D"- Man

Make it run and drive sell it whole, it should bring $500 if it was in working order, yes it is worth more in parts, but I'm here to tell you it takes time to part a tractor out, and do it right, finding people that need the parts right now, it takes time to sell everything off, it's not a quick thing, I have a number of tractors here that are half parted out waiting for buyers for the rest of the parts, some have been here a couple years.

Oh and turn the cap lock off it makes it hard to read.

Kelly, thanks for the heads-up, using all caps is a whole lot easier and faster to type with, and honestly should not be all that hard to read, I am much obliged to make an accommodation for you. Members can make posts and have numerous misspelled words as well as leaving a space out between words and other typographical errors and you hardly ever find it called to attention... I am currently restoring a late model 953 and I know personally how difficult it is to find good used parts let alone n.o.s. parts. This is indicative of the need for parting a tractor so that those out there that need a part have one more opportunity to get it. Have you searched Joe's Outdoor Power on ebay? The man knows two things how to charge and how to sell. I think sometimes it is too high priced but where am I going to find one somewhere else so I buy it. My oldest son has offered to help disassemble the 18 for 10 percent. I think it will be good for him, he is the one that freely helped me disassemble my 953. I figure getting the engine running and selling it will more than pay for the $ spent on the tractor, a couple other big ticket items and $500.00 is possible I realize you have years more experience than I have and I certainly appreciate that, however; I am basing my decision on "feature over function" simply because I want to do it. I hope somehow you can find grace to forgive me and I hope you can think just as much of me after reading this as you did before. I have no disrespects for you, I certainly think you are a great asset to the members of RedSquare

Please keep up the good work. Did you ever read the title of this forum? It is really hard to read because someone spelled Redsquare in all caps!!! Go REDSQUARE!

JackC

TWIN54, Having your son disassemble the tractor and giving him a cut sounds like a good plan. I have two D-160's and Toro does not sell many parts for them anymore so having parts available from anywhere for the D's is a good thing. Some parts go for some pretty good prices. The levers off the hydraulic lift valve go for $30 or more each. I buy parts that I currently don't need just to have them for backup.

Ebay is a good outlet since the parts would be available to anyone in the world as opposed to Craigslist which is only local. With the help of your son you could accumulate a bundle and give him some mechanical and business experience. Maybe he will become a Joe, Jr. 10 percent is a bargain; he should get 20 percent or better but maybe if he gets into it he will find his own horses to part out.

Just a note on posting messages. I use Google Chrome rather than Internet Explorer and Chrome has a spell checker and underlines misspelled words so you can correct them before posting. I don't think anyone really cares but Chrome does that.

When parts become available let us know when and where. Thanks.

"D"- Man

I have decided I am parting ways with parting-out!!!  I am now in the process of reassembling my 18, and after viewing Marvin's "One thing leads to another and another and" Topic I felt inspired to begin sharing the progress of my redo.

post-3038-0-88846400-1368317891_thumb.jp   First I removed every part that could be removed from the frame.  You may notice some nicks in the paint,  (this is because I had the front axle on and took pics but I inadvertently left the cameras image size on the "large setting" and the pictures' size was too large to upload so I had to disassemble and retake the pics with the "small setting.")  I do not foresee this to be an overnight venture or even dare to guess when if ever this may be completely finished.  These are a lot more involved than any other tractor I have worked on, and I don't even know what I am doing.

P.S.  more to come in my next post as I just wanted to see if the images taken using the smaller setting  would upload without me having to downsize them in an external program. 

post-3038-0-88846400-1368317891_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Trouty56

Twin54....I'm glad you are giving it a go.  It may take some time but you will learn so much...and feel great afterwards..... :)

"D"- Man

I wanted to try and only upload the pictures of my progress, not in the order of the way that I redone each part, but rather in the way I thought that it would be logical to reassemble, however; just to ignite someones interest I am offering a sneak-peek into the future of what one of the assemblies {the instrument panel} looks like after I "sprayed it with some DW-40"  post-3038-0-63921200-1368320996_thumb.jp  post-3038-0-79995000-1368321042_thumb.jp  It's amazing what that DW-40 does to 40 year old parts!!! Thanks JackC for the heads-up.

post-3038-0-63921200-1368320996_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-79995000-1368321042_thumb.jp

• Like 1

73-18 automatic

Looks good keep it up

"D"- Man

Not only have I added some trim to the front of the instrument panel, but I also placed some in each cavity where the front axle pivots at the frame rails.  Not sure how long they will keep in place.   post-3038-0-66180800-1368327533_thumb.jp  post-3038-0-71847800-1368327693_thumb.jp    

If I remember correctly I saw something like this {wrapping an area with cloth to protect it}  done in one of Martins posts.  post-3038-0-68794000-1368328055_thumb.jp  The front axle  post-3038-0-01336000-1368328218_thumb.jp  bolted on.post-3038-0-37591900-1368328358_thumb.jp  That's it for now.

post-3038-0-66180800-1368327533_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-71847800-1368327693_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-68794000-1368328055_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-01336000-1368328218_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-37591900-1368328358_thumb.jp

"D"- Man

The left spindle on this axle is bent, so I was given a spare one from a fellow that has a d-200, however: it is unusable because it has been welded on the wrong side.  post-3038-0-06768400-1368369793_thumb.jp   Just goes to show, some peoples wife's should not buy their husband a welder for his birthday!  This is the P.T.O. front bearing support bracket.  post-3038-0-74137200-1368369889_thumb.jp  Attached.  post-3038-0-90733100-1368370015_thumb.jp  I was going to attach this piece upside down and post the picture, just to see if anyone would catch it, but I already had it bolted up before I remembered to do it.  I will have to disassemble one of the spindles from the axle to  take pictures of the reassembly. in the next post. 

post-3038-0-06768400-1368369793_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-74137200-1368369889_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-90733100-1368370015_thumb.jp

"D"- Man

Right side spindle  post-3038-0-24242700-1368376405_thumb.jp Upper thrust washer  post-3038-0-09231000-1368376437_thumb.jp  thrust bearing  post-3038-0-28420200-1368376459_thumb.jp  lower thrust washer  post-3038-0-09231000-1368376437_thumb.jp I sort of fudged it here, as this is the same picture as the upper thrust washer, because the picture of the  lower thrust washer did not turn out clear.

Right spindle post-3038-0-93237900-1368376677_thumb.jp  I have not selected pics for the left side spindle but it is much the same as the right side.  I wanted to proceed to the steering bell crack next, however; mine is broken, and I am waiting on a good used one, to redo, from an 18 Automatic.  I purchased a bell crank from a D-160 and one from a D-180 after being told that they would interchange, they don't.  The steering bell crack from an 18 Automatic is specific to the 18 only.  So next would be onto the front tires and wheels.  I  have the front wheels , but they are currently at the sand-blaster/powder-coater or on there way there as I am having a relative take them there and having them do them for me.  I have, a set of used Carlisle front tires with really wore out tread that  I want to replace with either Carlisle or Destones 18x8.5-8 I am not even sure what brand Wheel Horse even put on these.  I think it was the Carlisle but they are twice as costly as the Destones new and the same ply rating.  The rears are Goodyears and are quite nice for there age.  I do not think the Goodyear rears are available new from anyone, and Destones makes a really nice set of six plys in the 26x12-12 for a reasonable price, so I am not sure what to use here.  Your advice and comments are welcome.

post-3038-0-24242700-1368376405_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-09231000-1368376437_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-28420200-1368376459_thumb.jp

post-3038-0-93237900-1368376677_thumb.jp

Marv

Beautiful Mark,

What paint are you using? You are pulling my leg on the dash panels aren't you? They look new to me. I have been trying to figure out what to do with mine. Sure would like them to look that good.

Marvin

"D"- Man

Thanks Marvin, Yes you are right about the dash panel.  In post # 22 pic # 4 this same dash panel is pictured as I received the tractor, then in post # 25 JackC said the weathered paint would clean up with some WD-40 so I thought I would just throw that in there for a laugh.  :)  Believe it or not I just sprayed the housing with a coat or two of Rust-oleum  Lt Gray primer and then two coats of Rust-oleum Regal red, after it was sand-blasted and prepped .  The panels were cleaned and lightly sanded by hand then I used a semi black Rust-oleum followed by a tip from another members post using a pencil erasure dipped in Gloss White Rust-oleum. after this dried I removed the excess by lightly scrapping with a sharp knife then I used some tire black gel to sort of give it a uniform finish.