Sign in to follow this  
Teddy da Bear

1054A Questions

Teddy da Bear

Ok..... I thought I would start a new post rather than continue that 2 pager.

I have cleaned the sediment bowl and filled the tank with a gallon of gas. It leaks like a sive. I likely need a new seal for the sediment bowl.

I tried the starter without the key and it cranks.

Questions: 1. Where can I get a new seal for the sediment bowl? And what

exactly do I ask for? Napa a good place to go?

2. What's up with the starter? Thought it would not even crank

without the key? Did someone do some rewiring?

3. Is there any way to "test" the fuel pump? Can you explain

step by step? Kind of like "fuel pumps for dummies... B)

4. This oiled air filter arrangement is messy. Can a conventional

air filter arrangement be done?

Any help would be appreciated.

oldwhman

Ans 1...I got mine at Ace hardware. you cannot reuse the existing gasket unless you let it relax for a week or so, then it can be reused if it is not broken. Ans 2.. This is normal, the engine will not start until the ignition is turned on Ans 3.. Break the fuel line where it enters the carb. Crank engine with ignition off....gas should spurt from fuel line if pump is good. Most 1054's have a primer lever on the fuel pump which can be used to test without cranking engine. Ans 4...Probably..............but might be more trouble the its worth. Hope this helps

Teddy da Bear

Thank you so much !!!

And B) !!!

If you are what your nickname implies.... There is no one more valuable here than an "experienced" wheel horse man!

Where are you from? You seem to know my tractor. I see that on partstree.com....there were 4 different types of fuel pumps on this engine.

I see from the diagram that mine is the "plainest" looking. Is there a rebuild kit if it is no good?

Thanks!

oldwhman

I'm a retired Ohioan. I currently reside in North Carolina. I have messed around with W.H. Tractors since 1969. The last tractor i restored was a 1054, so i know that model pretty well. I occasionally see those pumps on E-Bay and don't know of rebuild kits. Vacuum pumps are used a lot on later models. I have seen the fuel pump opening blocked off with a plate that has a vacuum connection for hose to the newer pumps

Teddy da Bear

Well the fuel pump is not doing it's job.

I have seen the fuel pump opening blocked off with a plate that has a vacuum connection for hose to the newer pumps

I am not sure what you are telling me.

I see there is a silver lever thingy on the side of the pump. It pivots down and up. What is this for??

If there are 4 different pumps as parts tree indicates.... Which do I ask for?

Teddy da Bear

I got the replacement fuel pump. It is a substitute made by another company.

I had no idea this was a mechanical fuel pump. I thought it worked off of the vaccum of the engine.

I still hope I could find a replacement for the oil bath air cleaner too... I want something more conventional.

Is there anything I might need to know about this fuel pump installation?

Thanks

Teddy da Bear

Well....I put on the new fuel pump.....no good. Same result as the old one.

No gas coming through.

Is it the sediment bowl? Can this be taken off and put a conventional filter on?

Mine apparently leaked as P.O. has "gooped" it up around where the sediment bowl meets the tank.

The O-ring no longer leaks.

What could be keeping the gas from getting to the carb? They told me that this fuel pump runs off one of the lobes of the camshaft. Could there be anything wrong internally with the motor?

The intructions made no mention of getting the fuel pump rod in alignment with anything inside the motor. Just bolt it on with a gasket and good to go.

Thanks

oldwhman

The lobe on the camshaft that operates the fuel pump may be worn enough to keep the pump from working. Try blowing air through the gas line, disconnect the line from the front of the fuel filter and from the entry side of the pump. Blow air through the line to be sure it is open. Do the same with the line from the carb. to the pump. Reassemble all lines except at the carb. Crank engine to get fuel flowing If no flow and lines are clear cam lobe may be worn. I'm assuming you can get fuel from the outlet side of the filter

oldandred

Well....I put on the new fuel pump.....no good. Same result as the old one.

No gas coming through.

Is it the sediment bowl? Can this be taken off and put a conventional filter on?

Mine apparently leaked as P.O. has "gooped" it up around where the sediment bowl meets the tank.

The O-ring no longer leaks.

What could be keeping the gas from getting to the carb? They told me that this fuel pump runs off one of the lobes of the camshaft. Could there be anything wrong internally with the motor?

The intructions made no mention of getting the fuel pump rod in alignment with anything inside the motor. Just bolt it on with a gasket and good to go.

Thanks

its ulikely the cam is worn off make sure the gas line is open from pump to tank were the sedment bowl on the tank is the hole is smaller there than any other place and belive me will stop up and it dont take much. i have the 953 and 1054 and there always stopping up.

blow them out good and if you can run a thin wire though them.

Teddy da Bear

Fact is stranger than fiction.

The replacement fuel pump "flow direction" was just the opposite of the original!

The man at the shop said it was an exact duplicate. So I told him later.....except for this small difference! He was amazed. And yes.....the information for flow direction was right on top of the new pump.B)

So I had to re-route the gas line to the other side of the tractor. This was somewhat more involved. I removed the rear tire and belt guard. This enabled me to route it much easier. I have pictures I will post later.

When I removed the rear wheel, I did not realize I had wheel weights! They were on the inside instead of the outside of the rim! Neat! Is this an option or is this standard on all 1054s? (again I will post pictures later).

So I cranked her over after hooking up the one side of the new fuel pump from the "correct side". And it pumped gas!

So I finished the routing and put everything back together. I opened the garage door and hit the start button and she started right away! No smoke.....and pretty smooth! I drove it out and around the yard. Realized I could not stop as there was not enough brake band to stop it. I think I can adjust that small detail.

It works in all gears. Oh and yes, the frame was welded at one time (by an amateur). That is why it leans. He must have welded by "eye".

Things are looking up!

TT

You can remove the 4 screws on the fuel pump and rotate the top half 180 degrees. (You wouldn't have needed to switch the lines around.)

Glad to hear it's running & driving now. B) :horseplay:

Teddy da Bear

Oh wow! Wish I would have known that....lol

Teddy da Bear

Backwards fuel lines.... Yes I prefer clear.

Attached Image

post-3-1217430498.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Re-routed fuel line

Attached Image

post-3-1217430656.jpg

Teddy da Bear

Did these things come with wheel weights? Or is this some guys nifty idea? (wheel weights on the inside of the rim)

Attached Image

post-3-1217430812.jpg

CasualObserver

Those inside 15 inch Wheel Weights (should be model WW-93) are a nice surprise. I think they're pretty hard to find. So few tractors used the 15 inch wheel to begin with... and not everyone bought weights.... I don't imagine there's too many out there! Nice Find! B)

CasualObserver

Mike.... here's your ipl....

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 44 )

pdf.gif

Wheel_Weight_Kit_WW_93.pdf

Teddy da Bear

Thank you for the kind words Jason.

This tractor seems to be full of surprizes.

I wondered why the rear end was so heavy when I went to lift it and walk it over....lol

linen beige

Those wheel weights are pretty rare. They show up on Ebay every once in a while and usually bring a good price. Nice surprise!

Teddy da Bear

Thank you Linen.... I have never seen anything quite like them.

And I bet they are unusual given the large tire size they fit.

combatmp29r

Glad to hear you got her runnin B) Great find on the wheel weights too. :whistle:

Teddy da Bear

Thank you Joel....

I even got the oil bath air cleaner straightened out.

big mike

Mike,sounds like your having pretty good luck getting your newest Horse goin.

If you need(or want) help getting the frame repair fixed PM me and I can get ya fixed up B)

Teddy da Bear

Thanks Mike.... I guess I have a green thumb with the tractors..

B) Did I say green? I meant "red" thumb! :whistle:

Thanks for your offer to fix the tractor Mike...but this Mike can weld too!

It is a pretty simple matter to cut it apart and weld it one side at a time.

Brrly1

Hey Teddy Nice find on the weights! Let me know if you get tired of them I will help you out as of course they fit the 953's,1054's and of course the GT14's.Those are the tractors with the 15" wheel. Just thought I would offer my help. Burly

B) :horseplay: