Sign in to follow this  
Docwheelhorse

Tecumseh Ignition Issue--PLEASE Help Me..... Im gonna jump

Docwheelhorse

Hello All,

I have been beating my brains out all day on a Tecumseh 7.... heres the story.

It throws a wonderful hot blue spark by simply flipping the flywheel by hand or slowly pulling the rope. Hit the 120 AC starter and it will throw a hot blue spark for perhaps a second or maybe two then it either fully quits or goes very very intermintent....

Engine will cough and bark and shoot flames everywhere..... if I leave the engine at a dead idle with my hand holding the butterfly closed against the stop it will run at a very slow RPM---if I try AT ALL to get any more than say 500--600 rpms out of it it just dies.

I pulled the flywheel... changed the points and condensor and buttoned it up with absolutely the identical results.

What the FRIDGERATOR is going on here...... Tecumsehs and I have agreed on mutual respect---but this one is egging me on to start swearing up and down about how much they suck.......

Please Please Please can someone offer some asistance to a tired and Beaten Briggs and Stratton mechanic that is just trying to get along with a Tecumseh.....

Thanks Tony

rydogg

Sounds like a weak/faulty coil to me I have had them do that to me before I replace the coil and everything is better :)

coldone

Could be a sticky points plunger.

jeremi3210

Did you try a new or different spark plug? I have a cg7 that did almost the samething.

Docwheelhorse

Hi--changed the plug TWICE... first was a "one tug" Champion and second was NGK.... no difference...

Its not a sticky points plunger---it doesn't have one lol, simply a cam lobe that sits on the crank below the flywheel...

Good Grief... if it is a bad coil then that means I have to pull the timing plate and man what a bear to re-time them.... I wonder if I scratch awled both sides and put it back exactly if I would be ok???

Tony

squonk

I'm thinking weak coil too. Spin it by hand-motor turning slow has a chance too build up voltage. Is it a mag or bat ign? If it's a Bat weak bat or bad wiring could drop the voltage but what do I know. All I know about Tecky's is that I blew up 4 in 6 yrs! :jaw:

stevebo

Tony-

The problem is that is it not a KOHLER....

Docwheelhorse

Siggghhhhhh... I know the problem is its not a Kohler..... But show me ONE Ariens snow thrower that came from the factory with anything but a Tecumseh.... For cryin out loud Briggs made it easy to put in electronic ignition and never look back----- did Tecumseh NOPE... did Tecumseh make a carb worth a fiddly FRIDGERATOR nope.... Is Tecumseh out of Business... YEP!

When they run they run decent and really where a good cold weather snow thrower motor... but man what a finiicky pita they can be and god help you if you let the gas sit over 15 minutes in the carb... it will be green and plugged and not run before you can blink....

I have to do some more research before I pull the coil... that might be lights out for me... every time I have pulled a timing plate on a Tecumseh it never ran again...

Tony

• Like 1

wp205a

Check the flywheel hub for a crack, make sure the kill wire insulation is good, close the points gap up to about 3/4 ths factory setting. Good luck

Terry M

Doc wheel horse, Are you sure you would have to pull all that stuff apart?? On my tecumsehs you disconnect two wires,one to the condencser and one to the points. release the wire clip that holds the coil to the stator and just lift,push or pull it off. Sometimes they can be stuck a little,but nothing a little pry or tap can fix. maybe yours is different but thats how mine come off.

Terry M

I'm thinking weak coil too. Spin it by hand-motor turning slow has a chance too build up voltage. Is it a mag or bat ign? If it's a Bat weak bat or bad wiring could drop the voltage but what do I know. All I know about Tecky's is that I blew up 4 in 6 yrs! :jaw:

Mike, four teckys in four years?? what are you doing to them?? :handgestures-thumbdown: maybe fill them with oil first... :teasing-poke:
  • Like 1

Don1977

Are you sure you have no fire, it's normal not to have very much. I was given a 6 1/4 on a Troy-bilt tiller that they said had no fire. I couldn't see any but I cleaned the carburetor and it has run ever sense. I did have to clean the carburetor again the as the rubber vent tube to the carburetor broke and sucked in some dust. A good friend of mine told me he use to test for fire by holding the spark plug wire. He said Tecumseh he could feel up to his wrist, Briggs up to his elbow. He also said he had found some Tecumseh that If you replaced the points as didn't put the wires from the coil and capacitor in the same order they came off they would not run.

Docwheelhorse

Hi All... Its 7:20 am and I'm getting some breakfast and coffee and headed back to the shop....

To give you guys some answers-Terry what you describe is correct for changing the points and thats what I did. In order to change the coil the entire ignition plate/"points box" has to come off and if you put it back on even a trillionth off the timing will be off---another "wonderful" design feature of Tecummsehs... :o(

Don I have wonderful hot blue fat spark BUT... it starts to quit and then fully quits at some point as the spped of the engine increases and it isn't much. The speed that the electric starter can spin the engine is fast enough for it to start acting up. I can get the engine to start occasionally but I have to hold the throtttle closed and let it chug at just barely running speed. If I try and get and more out of it it just quits....

I dunno, maybe its time for a coil which Im not looking forward to.

Tony

Docwheelhorse

P.S.---does anybody know the "correct" order for the wires? I thought the same thing about the order but then said "if there all touching how could it possibly make a difference"

Right now I have the kill wire on the outside then the condensor wire then the coil.

Is it possible the condensor is causing all of this??????

Tony

wp205a

I'd change the condensor 1st since it's the easiest/cheapest. Keep us posted.

midnight rambler

i thtink techy is just on hold, i heard thru the grapevine the person that owns the pattents wanted to open them back up in the southern wi area but due to american wages cant afford to, and the only place to get things done cheap is mexico or china and he WILL NOT do that so they will just be put on hold indefinatly. sorry but back in the day that they were famous they were a pretty good engine,

wp205a

I just reread the part about half-choking, are you sure you are getting good fuel to the carburetor? Check out my k181 vacuum fuel pump post where I was trying to fix a carb leak by working on the fuel pump.

Docwheelhorse

Update.... that large white cloth like object you saw going flying by was a Towel... thats right, I surrender, give up, roll over, all of the above. I am out of my comfort zone screwing with the timing/coil on a Tecumseh. Some may think that makes me a coward... thats fine too. Between all of the headache pills, coffee, time and parts I am done.... It has been dropped off at a dealer friend and i will update with what he comes up with as the ultimate solution.

Meanwhile I am going to go out and hug one of my Kohlers and salute one of my Briggs both of which never fail to start and get the job done.

Tony

• Like 2

sorekiwi

I dont blame you at all Tony!!

Every couple of years I decide I'm up for the challenge, and decide to screw with a Tecumseh. A couple of weeks later I give up and push them back under the bench.

There are guys out there that claim that they can fix them. If thats true, I am in complete awe of their talents; I sure as hell cant make one run well (consistantly...)

OT but have you started on the 1054 loader yet?

Docwheelhorse

HI---no the 1054 loader is still sitting there...... Its a wonderful but long term project i haven't gotten into yet.... I could be tempted to sell it for the right money :o) lol.....

Tony

Terry M

Sorry Tony, My guess was your 7 was like my 6's. I'll be learning that timing stuff when I get into my HH60 overhaul and I'm a little worried about it my self.

I'll let you know how it goes. :)

wheelhorse656

I am going to make a video on how to time coils and the camshaft to the crank... Easy to do once you do a few... sounds like improper ignition timing or possibly improper valve timing had and 8hp do the same... ( Improper Ignition timing and cam timing was off 1 tooth) fixed that is started right up...

• Like 1

Terry M

I am going to make a video on how to time coils and the camshaft to the crank... Easy to do once you do a few... sounds like improper ignition timing or possibly improper valve timing had and 8hp do the same... ( Improper Ignition timing and cam timing was off 1 tooth) fixed that is started right up...

Sounds good Jordan!! Can you make it ASAP??

Ken B

Now there's a few hrs. of yer life you'll never get back! I feel your pain Tony. I was working on an engine recently that was giving me fits....I felt like puttin that sucker in the wood splitter and cutting it in half.

wheelhorse656

Sounds good Jordan!! Can you make it ASAP??

Ill try and get to it somtime this week and get it posted!

Thanks!