Sign in to follow this  
lobo

Engine dies when throttling up

lobo

Installed a new govenor gear, now it will idle just fine but when you try giving it more gas it dies. Have adjusted and reajusted everything, carb, govenor, points to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? I used the old head gasket, should I have gotten a new one?

CRE1992

Installed a new govenor gear, now it will idle just fine but when you try giving it more gas it dies. Have adjusted and reajusted everything, carb, govenor, points to no avail. Anyone have any suggestions? I used the old head gasket, should I have gotten a new one?

I don't know anything about installing it, but when was the last time you cleaned the carb or adjusted the valves?

lobo

cre1992, the engine was rebuilt just last year, ran fine till the govenor gear snapped, I just sprayed the carb with cleaner and blew it out with the air hose this morning

Tap53

gone

lobo

It's a C-161, K-341, no way to check compression, but the first time it started it would throttle up, just needed to twik the timing and then it wouldn't. I left the balance gears out of it this time.

Tap53

gone

lobo

I did the timing twice both ways, static timing and feeler guage, to no avail

Tap53

gone

wallfish

Check the condenser -- neg side of coil, the connection, the wire and grounded or it could be bad

lobo

I should've added that if I leave the choke on a bit it runs just fine. condenser wire on the neg side, not touching anything, like I said, it ran just fine before the gavenor took a crap.

wallfish

Yeah, that makes a big difference. The problem is in your carb

can whlvr

yep definatly the carb if she runs with the choke a bit,maybe the main jet,sticking float,junk in the bowl,take her offf and clean really good

Tap53

gone

lobo

Thank you cre1992, Tap53, wall fish, and can whlvr for helping me confrim my thoughts on the problem. Got it running, runs gr8, thanks again. You all have a nice day-evening.

tunahead72

Thank you cre1992, Tap53, wall fish, and can whlvr for helping me confrim my thoughts on the problem. Got it running, runs gr8, thanks again. You all have a nice day-evening.

So, just curious, what specifically did you do to solve your problem? :popcorn:

gone

And what the heck does that mean? :dunno: :)

lobo

Well Ed, I just took the carb off and tore it down, sprayed it good with some small engine choke and carb cleaner, blew it out with the air hose and it works perfect now. You can get the spray cleaner at Lowes in the lawnmower section.

can whlvr

good to hear you got her going good