rplosnak

Length of C-161 Drive Belt PART II NEW PROBLEMS

rplosnak

Thanks for the input so far. Nothing has worked!??

I have a WH 91-16KS01 1979 C-161 HYDRO.

Kohler K341AS

Spec # 71246A

Original belt which was supposed to have been new earlier this year, was running off idler pulley. Found this this to be true because I smelled it rubbing on belt cover and wittnessed it running off idler.

As per 4 suggestions I have received so far, nothing is working.

Have new idler pulley, spring and 2 different size belts.

NEW: 2 new belts. One 84" and one 82" as per conflicting numbers from dealer and this forum.

Tried both sizes, 82" absolutely too SMALL. The 84" WALKS off New idler pulley and new spring.

83" goes on but will not allow disenagement of lever and walks off idler as well.

Have tried every possible combination. New idler pulley IS installed correctly so as to line up with pump pulley.

Linkage bars have all new spacers and shims to eliminate this as possible problem.

Bought the tractor earlier this year for winter snowblowing only.

So far new/used transaxle last month.

Now while dealing with this belt issue I noticed it was getting hard to start after first start up.

While banging my head on the wall behind me in "belt" frustration I have now noticed what appears to be a blown head gasket. Something else to be dealt with once "belt issue" is resolved.

I certainly appreciate ANYTHING I may be overlooking on this belt issue.

groundhog47

Sounds like my compoundin' problems. Am certain someone has already suggested engine to drive alignment, for instance a wollered out set of bolt or mount holes or with front of tractor called north an east west shift in engine or drive unit (spacers and shims). Also are all involved pulleys and idler true perpindular to their respective axel/shaft (no tilt in direction of walk off/run off). Didn't see your initial post and don't intend reduncancy, only wish to help. You'll get it!

Don1977

That's a shaker mount have you replaced the rubber bushings under the mounting plate, that could be the reason the belt won't stay on.

can whlvr

did you use oem belts,and is a twin or a single cylinder engine,theres different belts for each

oldredrider

The C-161 uses a #7478 drive belt which is 84" long. An OEM drive belt is strongly recommended. Check to make SURE the engine pulley is positioned properly and TIGHT to the crank shaft. There should be 2 belt guides on the engine drive pulley; one up top and one below. Make sure they are adjusted properly.

You mentioned a "new/used transaxle last month". Is the pulley on it "correct"/OEM? If not, that will certainly give you problems.. belt fit, walk, slippage etc.

A blown head gasket is NOT a big deal. How does it "appear to be blown"?

Goldann520
On 11/3/2012 at 2:00 PM, rplosnak said:

Thanks for the input so far. Nothing has worked!??

I have a WH 91-16KS01 1979 C-161 HYDRO.

Kohler K341AS

Spec # 71246A

Original belt which was supposed to have been new earlier this year, was running off idler pulley. Found this this to be true because I smelled it rubbing on belt cover and wittnessed it running off idler.

As per 4 suggestions I have received so far, nothing is working.

Have new idler pulley, spring and 2 different size belts.

NEW: 2 new belts. One 84" and one 82" as per conflicting numbers from dealer and this forum.

Tried both sizes, 82" absolutely too SMALL. The 84" WALKS off New idler pulley and new spring.

83" goes on but will not allow disenagement of lever and walks off idler as well.

Have tried every possible combination. New idler pulley IS installed correctly so as to line up with pump pulley.

Linkage bars have all new spacers and shims to eliminate this as possible problem.

Bought the tractor earlier this year for winter snowblowing only.

So far new/used transaxle last month.

Now while dealing with this belt issue I noticed it was getting hard to start after first start up.

While banging my head on the wall behind me in "belt" frustration I have now noticed what appears to be a blown head gasket. Something else to be dealt with once "belt issue" is resolved.

I certainly appreciate ANYTHING I may be overlooking on this belt issue.

Hey I know this is an ancient post, but how did you fix it? I have exactly the same problem with exactly the same machine. Did everything you have up to this post. Belt walks off to the pto side of tractor. HELP!!!@

pfrederi

Take off the belt guard take off PTO leave just the drive pulley on the engine.  Put a yard stick across the outside of the tranny pulley and check the alignment of the engine drive pull and Idler pulley

• Like 1

Howie

Had a Wheel Horse in here doing that, probably should't have but found another idler same diameter with deeper

sides or the part that helps hold belt on the pulley. It had all the correct stuff on it so I did the above. Not necessarily

advocating this but was the fix for this one.