Sign in to follow this  
sadixon49

How much weight?

sadixon49

I have a '88 312-8 with an old 37" blower, a 6-0100, original turf tires, nearly bald, and 4 link chains.. I've never had a tractor with a blower before, but I see that I need weight on the rear. My question is how much? I've done a search for weight and wheel weight, and have found lots of posts about adding weight, or making weights, but few, if any, say how much you need, I haven't found it. I weigh #240 if that makes a difference.

steve

pfrederi

I have 100lbs on the wheels and another 50 on the drawbar I weigh 180. Big test is backing uphill with the blower raised. I am usually OK at this weight but on steeper grades or ice underneath it can be a pain.

octfst

you need to factor in your grade & surface your blowing

baerpath

What you add to the front add to the rear and see from there. I have two sets of cast iron WH wheel weights on the back of mine and thats enough. And I have a two stage on front

Duane

Wyattrrp

The single stage blowers with warning stickers on them (mine is 2001 #79360) warn not to operate tractor with this blower on front in up position unless you have 100 lbs of rear wheel weights. Wheel Hose Plastic/Concrete filled 12 inch rear weights are 45 lbs each. I add another 50-70 lbs in dumb bells to the drawbar, plus my butt weight which is plenty these days and chains. Not a problem for traction that I have found although if the blower is down blowing, it can be a bit sluggish turning since the front seems to be a bit light for proper traction. They do sell front chains too. I now have iron front wheel weights at 26 lbs each so will see if improved stearing this year, if we get any snow! Possibly this week with the new east coast storm?? Only 368 days since that Northeast snow storm and loss of power for 6 days!

Wyatt

can whlvr

about this much is good,100 lbs,and this is good on the front

DSC00014.jpg

015-1.jpg