Sign in to follow this  
JimmyJam

Wheel Horse Newbie

JimmyJam

I purchased my first Wheel Horse(first tractor too!!); a 1994 Toro/WheelHorse 264-6. The Kohler motor doesn't run, but it came with all kinds of attachments. I was told that the motor ran last fall and stored in a shed. He rebuilt the carb and installed new fuel lines this spring; but when he replaced the fuel pump, he stripped one of the threads and it woobles.. He says that the ethynol in the new gasolines destroys everything. Someone told me that premium gas doesnt contain ethynol. True?

ps: I love this site!!!

• Like 1

c161rat

Welcome aboard Jimmy!!!!! And welcome to the Wheelhorse addiction!!!!! Not sure about gas thing however i'm sure someone on here is and very willing to share!!!!

rydogg

Welcome to the forum. You can do a search in your area for non ethanol gas most areas have stations that sell it, they usually label it as "off road use only" I use marvel mystery oil and a little 2 stroke oil as additives in my fuel to hopefully keep the ethanol from destroying my engines.

KATO

Here's a link to gas stations with no ethanol. Just select your area .

http://pure-gas.org/

JackC

"Someone told me that premium gas doesnt contain ethynol. True?

I think it depends on the state and the stations within the state.

I know of stations in my area of NY State that provide no ethanol fuel for their premium. I am not aware of any stations in my area of Mass that provide no ethanol fuel. There is a Website that tries to tract the pure gas stations. Marinas often carry pure gas.

Check this out.

http://pure-gas.org/

Rooster

Yes, ethanol does damage rubber components and can cause corrosion issues.

The best way to combat it is with an additive like Sta-bil Ethanol treatment or of you have any marine engines Sta-Bil marine formula combats Ethanol as well.

Whether or not any grade of fuel has ethanol in it is solely up to the individual station. Ethanol was originally used as an octane boost. You will find it in all grades of fuel.

JimmyJam

Thanks guys! I searched Pure Gas and none are found in MA or RI (closest other state to me). I will try the ethy. stablizer route.

Definitally have the Wheel Horse bug now!!!

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Jake Kuhn

:WRS:

KC9KAS

:WRS: Yes ethanol is rough on our Horses, and anything else with a carburator and rubber diaphragms!

Most gasoline stations in just about every state has at least 10% ethanol....remember, the federal government is behind this ethanol business, so every state must go along with the deal or loose federal monies.

Jake Kuhn

I purchased my first Wheel Horse(first tractor too!!); a 1994 Toro/WheelHorse 264-6. The Kohler motor doesn't run, but it came with all kinds of attachments. I was told that the motor ran last fall and stored in a shed. He rebuilt the carb and installed new fuel lines this spring; but when he replaced the fuel pump, he stripped one of the threads and it woobles.. He says that the ethynol in the new gasolines destroys everything. Someone told me that premium gas doesnt contain ethynol. True?

ps: I love this site!!!

Premium gas does still contain ethanol but less than regular. We have had to run that in some of our tractors or the carbs would plug up very quickly. ~Jake

krazy_horse

You can find ethanol free gas around a marina or station where boaters use. People with boats don't like ethanol in the gas. Up north you can find it at some Sheets and Southern States stores.

wingrider

You can try a local small airport also. There aviation gas don't have ethanol in it. It is a little higher price but it seems to work.

Wingrider

Wheel-N-It

Big welcome from North Carolina :text-welcomeconfetti:

SousaKerry

Aviation gas also contains lead, not a big deal cause these engines were designed to run on leaded gas but something to be aware of.

sadixon49

Everybody seems to be fixating on the fuel as the problem. That '94 was designed to run on unleaded 10% ethanol gas. I have never had a problem with ethanol in any of my equipment. My snowblower wasn't used last winter, it sat with a full tank of fuel from March of 11 till just last week, when I tried to start it. It didn't have any stabill or sea foam in it , but it started right up on the second pull. I don't know if ethanol is a real problem, or just the wipping boy of small engine repair shops.

steve

JackC

" I don't know if ethanol is a real problem, or just the wipping boy of small engine repair shops."

It is a real problem.

KATO

:text-yeahthat:

JimmyJam

Funny thing is that the Kohler manual sez that "up to 10% Ethanol is approved in that engine...Magnum CV-14". Okay, but what's problem? Why won't it run if everything has been replaced?