Sign in to follow this  
855ownerJoel

1054 Thoughts

855ownerJoel

I am looking at a 1054. Any thoughts on this model? Needs some tlc but I would like to know if this model is a good work horse for plowing and garden type work? I thought the big wheels may be good for floatation. Any suggestions would be helpful. Also if not, what models should I be looking for?

855ownerJoel
post-8621-0-99341000-1350840793_thumb.jp No replies so I bought it. Proud new papa of a 1054 saved from scrapyard.... Paid $150. picture does not show belt guard and previous owner took off origional engine ???? but gave it to me intact. A box of parts including the side shield were turned over looks as though I have everything.

Pollack Pete

Nice tractor.I have a 1054 that's on the list to re-do "someday".They're kinda a PITA to work on with the kinda uni-body design.Like having to remove the tranny to get the gas tank out,the non removable rear fenders,the priority implements.In spite of all the above,I still love them and 953's.Good luck with your new toy.You got it for a good price too.

kthack657

Jim and I have a 1054 and I have to agree, their unibody makes them difficult to work on, also it is difficult to find a good gas tank for them too

Jake Kuhn

Very nice find! :bow-blue: Thats a very good price, the tires definitely give it a mean look! I have always wanted a 1054, don't know why, but have never came across one for a good price. ~Jake

glgrumpy

Have GT14 and yours is early version they say. Mine can pull gas tank easiest by removing the grill and tank as a unit. Looks like same grill on those, not sure on the tanks. I would like to try one of those next. Just my kinda price too! Wanna sell that blade? Seems they have a little diff one on those and GT14's. Hey, stand out of the sun next picture shot, no shadows! Ha! Take a few more, I like pix. Get shot of steering wheel and seat, both up and down, want to compare to what I need go find for mine. 14's are diff than most B and C models, maybe yours is same?

855ownerJoel

Picture was as it sat where I bought it. Will take more pics soon, I couldn't wait to tear her down. Man came over today to look and make copies of decals for making new ones. He said all graphics would be about $50.00, thought that was good. Seat on it is the only thing not origional so I don't think it would help you. I will take some steering wheel and dash shots for you before I get that I taken apart.

otrelwood

the gas tank on 953 and 1054 is under the seat where the gt is in front of the engine

JUSS10

as far as a hard worker i can vouch for that. I work mine quite a bit. i have even built a 3 point cat 0 hitch for mine that uses the stock hydraulics and still allows the use of the stock lift hitch. The one thing people have said is that because this transmission uses bevel gears in the differential it is more prone to break there. I have yet to see that be an issue and i have really beat on mine. I use it to push snow in the winter with the 54" dozer blade. I have used it for plowing but with the wide rear tires it doesn't work well as it doesn't really track the furrows right. That said, i have built a sub soiler/ripper for it and that can bust through old roots underground with ease. Very powerful machine and hefty. I will agree that it can be difficult to work on with its quirks but those quirks are what i find cool about the machine. I would love to find another someday if the chance arises.

BB55B7FF-4F87-47EA-AAC0-149A7F8C2E9D-2458-000001070D047006.jpg

F2BED8DE-7091-41A7-B70C-5591C47C5A8F-2458-00000106F87B6797.jpg

54848BA4-C775-4D8D-B629-24694449AE11-554-00000043DF3E30D9.jpg

c32e67ed.jpg

1f1b83a3.jpg

edfbab79.jpg

• Like 2

855ownerJoel

Nice job with the additional three point! Must have taken sometime and engineering. I have mine tore apart now for some TLC. I found a worn wheel axle key for the wheel hub. Anyone know where to find some? Very large half moon, have not seen that style before. Checked hardware and one local small engine shop. Still no locate.....

855ownerJoel
1.bmp post-8621-0-84547300-1351087635.jpg Well here I go, start of rebuild.

855ownerJoel

Anyone out there have close up picks of the seat on a 1054? Would appreciate some close ups. I need to get mine put together. I also need to find a frame if anyone has one for sale.

Lane Ranger

The 1054 is a real garden workhorse for garden and snow/dozer plowing. Despite the body design and gas tank issues this tractor find almost 50 years after production is almost always still operating after

The woodruff keys for the axles on the 1054 are still available through Toro.

Here is the current information for Item #74 on the partstree.com website drawing of the 1054's 5047 transmission:

Toro Consumer937046

Key #RX Woodruff Your price: $6.74

0 of these in your cart

JUSS10

as far as "put together" the seat is just two cushions and a frame. the smaller cushion bolts to the top of the frame (you can see the frame in my pictures) and the bottom cushion (at least on mine) just sat there. I'm sure there was some kind of mounting so it didn't float around but i couldn't see any.

Lane Ranger

The original 953/1054 and 1054 (A) bottom seat was on a plywood frame and had two small metal brackets to keep the cushion in place.

I will try to post a photo of the brackets as I kept two from a seat for one of our 1054's.

However, due to the cap for the gas tank being right under the seat I like most folks did not replace these metal clips when redoing a seat on a tractor restoration.

Ok here is an update with photos of the two old metal clips that were attached to the 1054 bottom seat cushion. The clips were held on by three wood screws on each clip imbedded in the plywood seat bottom. The two holes went towards the back frame of the 1054 in front of the open tool box.

dscn6263.jpg

dscn6262.jpg

groundhog47

as far as a hard worker i can vouch for that. I work mine quite a bit. i have even built a 3 point cat 0 hitch for mine that uses the stock hydraulics and still allows the use of the stock lift hitch. The one thing people have said is that because this transmission uses bevel gears in the differential it is more prone to break there. I have yet to see that be an issue and i have really beat on mine. I use it to push snow in the winter with the 54" dozer blade. I have used it for plowing but with the wide rear tires it doesn't work well as it doesn't really track the furrows right. That said, i have built a sub soiler/ripper for it and that can bust through old roots underground with ease. Very powerful machine and hefty. I will agree that it can be difficult to work on with its quirks but those quirks are what i find cool about the machine. I would love to find another someday if the chance arises.

BB55B7FF-4F87-47EA-AAC0-149A7F8C2E9D-2458-000001070D047006.jpg

F2BED8DE-7091-41A7-B70C-5591C47C5A8F-2458-00000106F87B6797.jpg

54848BA4-C775-4D8D-B629-24694449AE11-554-00000043DF3E30D9.jpg

c32e67ed.jpg

1f1b83a3.jpg

edfbab79.jpg

Really fine work and like way you integrated slot hitch! Gerry

855ownerJoel

Thanks for the info. picked a perfect running Kohler K301 today. Guess she will have 12 horse power now, SWEET.... Same bolt patern and everything, can life get any better?

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

The 12 HP will work fine on a 1054. We have one on one of ours and its a great addition!

Lane Ranger

I posted the photos of the two old metal seat clips used to hold the bottom seat cushion in place.