Sign in to follow this  
oldredrider

Question for the "Snow-Belters"

oldredrider

This past summer I had my driveway resealed. While I'm not anal about it, I would like to keep it looking good.

The last time we had snow (many moons ago), the chains on the tractor, of course, left their mark(s).

I use a GT-14 with a 54" blade to do the snow removal and it has worked awesome with the chains. This year I have loaded tires (about 180#) plus 250#

on the 3 pt hitch. I figure the tractor weighs in around 1400# with this configuration (not including my 200# butt).

The question for you guys in the great white north, or at least where you get good snows on a regular basis, will this extra weight give me traction to

compensate for the lack of chains? Yes, I do have the option to add more weight to the front...up to 100#.

roscoemi

Short answer is no if you get any amount of snow. Rubber tires will not grab hardpack and ice nearly as well as chains do, especially if your pushing a full blade of wet stuff.

littleredrider

My mother has a newer black top driveway, and I usually plow it (she ain't so good at it!!) with a JD 425. It has 23x10.5x12 Ags that are loaded, steel weights and suitcase weights that go on the back. When my parents had a dirt driveway, they used chains and worked great. After the driveway was done, didn't want to dig it up, so took them off. Only problem with this setup is if you go too far off the driveway on to the grass or packed snow. It doesn't work worth a damn. Could be that the tires are old, probly harder then heck, but they hold fluid so not gonna worry bout it right now. Her driveway is flat, and no hills to speak off. If will push one heck of alot of snow....

Forest Road

http://www.rubbertirechains.com/

Other members have hada good results.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

I have a set of rubber tire chains that I use on my B-80 . They grip very well on the ice and snow and they do not leave any marks.

They are expensice but I used chains for two years and started to dig marks in my concrete drive.

I am very pleased with the traction I get from the rubber chains.

cheesegrader

Without chains, you are just a fat lady on ice skates.

No traction, no action!

• Like 4

JackC

I started with a C-81 with a plow and cleat link chains that were marking up my driveway. The C-81 was a little too light for the job. I also have a D-160 with a plow and I also have a 44 inch two stage snow blower for my 520HC. Even with all that, I switched to an Ariens 1032 walk behind snow blower. The 10 horse Techumsa and 32 inch two stage auger will blow the snow over to the next street block. My old tractors all stay dry and there are never any marks on my driveway.

GlenPettit

I use the Lug tires (front & rear) with a lot of extra weight like you have now, and have had no problems on my asphalt drive, even going up a 5º slope. Because black asphalt warms/thaws in daylight, (even with no sun) it melts snow, then the moisture freezes, so there is often a thin layer of ice in the morning, making it especially slick for turf tires.

Chains, Rubber Straps or Lug tires all have a lot less contact area with the ground which equals more "pounds per square inch" of contact with the ice/snow, and then better traction.

If you stay on the drive, I think you'll be OK with just the extra weight and average snows, but for deep snow, wet snow or pushing a big pile, consider more help like the rubber straps or Lugs.

It sounds like you put all the weight on or behind the rear axle at this point, that lightens the front, be sure to add that weight you have on the front to give you better steering and keeping the blade down, especially in slick/heavy snow.

Shuboxlover

I agree with everyone else....I can't even go up a very small incline without chains, even if I'm not plowing or blowing.

leeave96

I've had great luck with ag tires and wheel weights. Blowing and plowing. I have to deal with some minor slope, no hills. I run the same tires/weights year round, snow and grass mowing.

Good luck,

Bill

Kelly

I think you will be fine, now up here where we get cold all winter and we get packed snow turning to ice you would have problems, but your not you will not get the deep freeze just a snow here and there so the ground will never be hard packed ice under the snow, and you probably will not get a bunch of snow at one time, a big snow fall for you is what 6" ?? not 12"+ so you will not have to deal with piles of snow in front of the tractor, I don't use chains on my plow tractor a 520 with 26x12x12 titan tru power ags, I have 200lbs of suit case weights on the rear and me 185lbs and I can push LOTS of snow with it.

HankB

We had a record snow a couple winters ago and this is me plowing with ags liquid filled with RV antifreeze and wheel weights.

It took a lot of back and forth but it got the job done w/out sraping the sealer off the asphalt.

• Like 1

leeave96

Hank!!!!!!!!!!

Very nice work with the snow blade, but you got to get yourself a snowblower for that tractor!!!

Here's mine in action:

post-6085-0-12098600-1349964604.jpg

roscoemi

We get either 3" or 12" at a time, no in between due to lake effect snow. The last one last year was 18" in 12 hours of the wet stuff, lost power and I couldn't get the tractor all the way out of the shed with a 42" blade, 150lbs of wieghts, my 200lbs and chains. Took my buddies plow truck an hour to dig me out a space to park 2 cars. This year will be a C-121 with a blower, weights, and definately chains. Pretty wife could cares less about the driveway with chain marks than getting out to the grocery store to feed the boys. And power for the pellet stove to keep her butt warm. :angry-cussingwhite:

HankB

DSC_4210-PP.JPG

... but you got to get yourself a snowblower for that tractor!!!

Like this? I had a chance to put it to some use last year but we didn't get much snow so the blade pretty much covered my needs.

leeave96

Hank - THAT'S IT!!!!!!!

dsholler

Going to try this year with just a blower. I am new to this whole tractor business, but I am guessing that I will probably need a plow to deal with the slushy stuff we usually get here in southern CT. However, I think I need to prove that before I can justify having another large red object in the garage to my wife.

post-6380-0-60657900-1350053168_thumb.jp

oldredrider

I think Kelly hit the nail on the head. We usually get 3-6" snows here. No "hard freezing". I do have a back up plan: I also have a C-160 auto with ag tires (10.5) and wheel weights I can put the single stage blower on. I can also load the tires if necessary.

I figure any deep snow (over 6") will get the blower treatment.

Ain't it great having a bunch of tractors and attachments?

fourwheels0

Without chains, you are just a fat lady on ice skates.

No traction, no action!

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! don't forget your tutu hahaha.