Sign in to follow this  
Challenger

Snow Cab Poll - Like it or Not?

Challenger

I have a 314-8 with single stage snowblower and a cab.

I feel a little confined when sitting inside the cab and I'm wondering whether or not to remove the cab and try a winter of snow removal with no cab protection. I'm just curious, do most of you use a cab for winter or do most of you not use a cab and just let the snow cover you?

I just feel I can see better and feel more in control when I operate a tractor WITHOUT a cab. (I know this is a subjective, personal preference but I am curious if there is a clear majority opinion or trend when it comes to cab use)

Thanks.

PS. If I choose to not use a cab and eventually decide to sell it, is there much of a market for used Snow Cabs? What price range? Mine is in VERY good condition.

rmaynard

I do NOT use a cab. I like to be able to see traffic coming from all directions, and a cab restricts my view. I don't even like to use a hooded sweatshirt which will sometimes obstruct my peripheral vision when I turn my head.

AMC RULES

You're right about the tight confines, and much over 6' tall...you're gonna feel like a sardine in there.

All things considered...I like using my cab much better than coming back in the house covered in snow.

I do use my cab together with my blower set up though...not the plow.

post-3498-0-61900300-1347807595_thumb.jp

• Like 2

zieg72

I think you are going to find people lined up waiting to buy your cab... Personally I have one and wouldn't be without even plowing. I agree about the confined feeling but once you get used to it and figure out the blind spots you will really appreciate keeping out of the weather. My 520H throws the heat into the cab and I am taking layers of clothes off the longer I am in it. I can say blowing snow sucks if you don't have wipers.

• Like 1

Kelly

I have a few tractors and the blower tractor gets a cab, I like not being covered in snow when I'm done, it is warmer, especially if it's windy out, I also don't like the blind spots, but I live on a dead end road with little traffic, I also wish I had the glass windshield with a wiper, and a defogger for the inside of the windows, I know I could put lots of time and money into a cab like Duke has but I want it simple easy to remove/install, and I only blow snow a few times a year, most snow falls I plow with another tractor, I like plowing better anyway.

stevasaurus

I guess I am just an outside kind of guy. I do not even use a tent when I am ice fishing. Visibility is one of the main reasons, I live on a busy street, but the main reason is that I really like winter. One more reason...everyone loves a snow man. :)

snow1.jpg

• Like 3

Lars

well if i had one i would have used it whit the blower.. im still looking for one but hard to find one on this side of the pond.. it's not funny to be a :occasion-snowman: LOL

MalMac

I have got one tractor with a newer style cab on it and there is a lot more room than one of the cabs thats used on a C series. Taking the cabs on and off to me is a big pain in the back side. Storing them is a pain too. With that being said when I go out to plow or blow and the wind is blowing like crazy out here in the wide open it feels good not having the snow in your face or the good ol down your neck and back. When I was younger I just piled on the clothes now I climb in the cab with less clothes. It does take some getting use to being in a cab. Lots of blind spots that you have to be aware of. If you are aware of them they can be safe and comfortable.

• Like 2

scifi4all

I would have to agree with MalMac.

I probably wouldn't mind plowing on a not so windy snowy day. But when the wind is blowing and the snow from the blower just keeps blowing back in your face, that Cab is great. My first wheel horse came with a cab and I said "I don't need a cab. What am I an old man?". So i sold it and didnt give it a second thought. Well I got a little older. I also ended up going from blowing 1 driveway to 4 - 5. The day can get long and the night gets cold. I don't even have heat in mine cab and have less clothes on.

But, if the work had to be done and I didn't have a cab, it would still get done. I just have the choice to do it more comfortably now. I even bought the glass windshield for mine. Now I need a wiper blade. Visibility can be an issue, but that goes for operating many pieces of equipment. Just keep aware of your surroundings and those surrounding you.

I also have to agree with Bob Maynard, I don't like hooded sweatshirts because of seeing and hearing properly, but i still love that cab. You would have no trouble selling it.

baerpath

Nope no cab, I have one that came with a 520 if I change my mind. Grew up spreading in winter no cab then, can't see for an hour of snowblowing now. Besides we got global warming LOL

Duane

PS anyone looking for a newer style cab got one used it once and took it off

welderman85

i have gt1142 with a blower on it. got it set up last year but no cab. After one use i looked like a snowman so this year i built a cab.

• Like 1

KC9KAS

I don't have/use a blower, and I don't have a cab.

I think if I had a cab, I would be able to stay out in the weather much longer before getting too wet & cold.

I know it would probably obstruct some vision, but I would have to adjust......But I don't have a cab, so......

stevebo

Being up on the windy hill here at the "ponderosa" I will not be without one when throwing snow with the 2 stage blower.

Shuboxlover

I have blown snow with and without a cab.....

DO NOT REMOVE YOUR CAB!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will NEVER blow snow without one again.

I am 6'1" and 235 lbs.... it's a little tight for me too (especially when I get all my gear on) but it is SO worth it!!!

• Like 2

HorseFixer

I HATE EM! :eusa-whistle: Who likes 70deg when you can be 10deg. :ychain:

DSCN2567-2.jpg

DSCN2783.jpg

DSCN2602.jpg

• Like 6

neil

Think yourself lucky you have a choice

Here in UK a Snow Blower is so rare we have to improvise and i am so poor i can only afford these

wiper_glasses_2.jpg

However these do have the luxury of having tinted windows & Hazard lights,

• Like 5

Trouty56

Think yourself lucky you have a choice

Here in UK a Snow Blower is so rare we have to improvise and i am so poor i can only afford these

wiper_glasses_2.jpg

However these do have the luxury of having tinted windows & Hazard lights,

Looks like some glasses Sir Elton would wear..... :)

• Like 3

AMC RULES

You guys are funny! :ROTF:

rmaynard

I HATE EM! :eusa-whistle: Who likes 70deg when you can be 10deg. :ychain:

DSCN2602.jpg

I knew that you and your little gal with the ukulele would pipe up soon. :)

• Like 1

whfan74

One of the best purchases I have ever made........can't add any more than what has already been added.

Nice thing is that I have a tractor just for snow duty and the cab stays on all year!

pfrederi

Real men don't use cabs :-)

6b6a82210995534.jpg

I get a lot of wind up here but don't use a cab. Some times you can only use the blower in one direction and have to dead head back for a second pass. You learn pretty quick, sort of like tugging on superman's cape or peeing into the wind.

I like to see what i am doing cabs are too confining.

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

I need a cab here in the northern Michigan snowbelt. I used my 314-A and single stage one winter without it and now I wouldn't be without it. Those of you that have met me know I don't fill it out as well as some of you could :happy-jumpeveryone: . So I don't have a problem with it beign too confined but it does FEEL that way sometimes. I blow snow with tennis shoes and a light jacket with no problem. The biggest gripe I have is that it's extremly loud in the cab so I wear hearing protection.

• Like 2

Tankman

No cab, seems too confining.

Bundle up, keepin' warm, and, usually wait for the sun before plowing or snow blowing.

Don1977

I would like to have one when spraying the yard with weed killer. Might have to ware just tennis shoes and skivvies to keep from burning up.

can whlvr

i have a home made cab and love it,i also have a blower on a tractor with no cab,on windy days i use the cab,on calm days the open machine