Sign in to follow this  
Greg B.

Hobby?

Greg B.

Ya know..., when I first started poking around the web, looking for information on these critters, I just thought I had a couple of old POS tractors that I might nurse a few more years out of. I have the horse and a JD 300. the Deere parts, that are not NLA, are easier to find (JD dealerships all over LA), but bloody expensive. The WH stuff is impossible to get without involving shipping, but seem a little more reasonable.

I had never intended to get into this any deeper than was absolutely necessary. My primary hobby is Live Steam railroading. More a lifestyle, really. These damned things are addictive, or maybe it's just that I'm a sucker for anything mechanical.

I've fallen in love with the K341. Both tractors use it. Because of my other interrests, I have neither the time, nor resources, to produce the show ponies that some of you have. They are beautiful. My goals, always subject to change, are to bring these little beasts to stone reliability and acceptible appearance. What we used to call a ten foot car. From ten feet away, it looked pretty good, but any closer and the illusion whithered.

Greg B.

kj4kicks

Thanks for sharing that Greg. It's always nice to know "where we come from".

Eldon.

kpinnc

Unfortunately, all of my tractors are "ten foot cars"...

A couple may be "40 foot cars" :D

There are always some beautiful machines at shows, and someone always has something there that makes mouths water for all of us who collect. But, the truth is, a Wheel Horse that's dirty and working hard is just plain awesome. It's a happy machine! I've tried to baby the couple I restored, but it is so very hard to do. If I can't enjoy using it, I'm just not so sure I'd even want the thing.

You keep using and enjoying that Horse. Bring it to the show anyway! From what I've seen, there are many more 'workers" at the show than there are show machines. As long as you enjoy having it, that's all that matters.

After all, it was made to play with in the dirt!

Kevin

WheelHorse_of_course

Greg,

I agree 100%. I want my tractors to be useful and "functional". I make them "original" if convenient and if I can do so within the context of price. The reason I bougth a tractor for $138 is that is my price range. That sets the context for repairs. When I blew the engine there was no way I'd buy a new short block or engine.

I found an engine for $65 (time will tell how it works out, I am installing it as we speak). And a huge bonus that made me happy was the fact that it is the same year and model (with the cool 1969 electronic ignition!). This allowed me to kepp a lot of other things original including the ignition switch etc.

On the other hand, I am perfectly happy with the functional but non original lights I installed. The Charger had no light bucket at all and there was no way I was going to spend more than about $25 (including s/h) to replace it. Instead, I bought a pair of rectangular dome lights and mounted them taking care no to damage/modify the hood. Functional (at least as much as the originals) but not fancy nor original.

And I replaced the dash board with a C series (as part of my current project) because the old one, while mostly original has the push-pull throttle and it does not lock. I have been told that if I replace it the new one will like wear out quickly, so I went with a more functional but less original replacement (I will keep the old one though, of course)

The charger has a non-original seat. It is nicer than the original so I do not intend to replace it. Steering wheel on the 854 is not original and again no plans to change this.

Then again, I sure do admire those with the time, money and talent to make these babies new again! I just hope the get used at least occasionally!

Have fun doing it your particular way everyone!

cheers

Curmudgeon

I'm a firm believer in 50 foot tractors. Anyone bending over for a closer look at my shoddy workmanship, will get a foot in the keester.

:o:D:P:oB):o:(:o:(:(:(:o

Dale

kpinnc

Dale, if I get to go to the show, you and I will have to stay away from each other's tractors!

LOL! :D

WHOC- I consider seats, tire, and electrical wiring :P to be normal wear components. Make it comfortable, make it run, and make a garden with it!

Kevin

Buzz

Greg, if you're from the LA area, there is a man named Bruce Marin who is over on the Yahoo wheelhorsegardentractor group. He lives in that area also and has a dozen old Wheel horses. He's very knowledgeable and might be able to help you find stuff that you need. Not many of you in that area, might be a good idea to get in touch with him. He's also very lucky, won most of the raffle prizes at the 2006 show......

Greg B.

Buzz,

Just so there's no confusion, when I say LA I'm refering to Lower Alabama :D

Greg B.

Curmudgeon

Dale, if I get to go to the show, you and I will have to stay away from each other's tractors!

LOL! :D

WHOC- I consider seats, tire, and electrical wiring :P to be normal wear components. Make it comfortable, make it run, and make a garden with it!

Kevin

TGDone3-30.jpg

Don't look to close, but the seat was done that way on purpose!!!!!!

Dale

Greg B.

At last. A shot of that tractor. I've admired that stack, from your avitar(?) for a while.I just hung one on my K341. It's a modified handicap grab handle. I hope ypurs is quieter than mine, Dale.

BTW, the Edelbrock air cleaner from my truck fit real well, too :D:P

Greg B.

Buzz

Just so there's no confusion, when I say LA I'm refering to Lower Alabama :D

There was considerable confusion on my part. As the church lady on SNL used to say..........never mind.

Greg B.

Sorry 'bout that, Buzz. Like many things south of the Manson / Nixon line, it's a local expression and I used it without forethought.

I promise not to laugh, but you'll have to pardon a snicker, or two.

Greg B.

Buzz

Actually I prefer Milky Way or Three Musketeers.... :D .......

Curmudgeon

At last. A shot of that tractor. I've admired that stack, from your avitar(?) for a while.I just hung one on my K341. It's a modified handicap grab handle. I hope ypurs is quieter than mine, Dale.

BTW, the Edelbrock air cleaner from my truck fit real well, too :D:P

Greg B.

Let's just say "throaty" It's a motorcycle muffler from JC Whitney, so there is some baffling inside, it's not a straight pipe. Actually, I do like the note it makes, but it is a little louder than I'd want to listen to all day in a day to day worker.

Dale

Greg B.

Dale,

Yeah, it's fun to play with, but if I'm gonna work this thing, I gotta do something else. At least this got it off the injured list.

Greg B.

Curmudgeon

Simple answer there Greg, MORE tractors!!!!!!!!!!!!

I do use Tall Girl, but she's a toy. My every day workers have real mufflers on them, and I wish I knew of a source for even quieter ones!

Dale, 11 and multiplying....