Sign in to follow this  
hcminis

RJ-58 - How Rare Are They?

hcminis

How rare is an RJ 58? Have a chance to buy one. Has a Lausen (sp) engine on it that needs carburetor work.

• Like 1

Jake Kuhn

I wouldn't say they are super rare,but they aren't common either. It should have a kohler k91 or a clinton on it though so thats making it sound a little different. I'm sure you know,but if you have a belt guard and or a heatshield that adds about 150 dollars to the value of the tractor. If you had a decent condition 58 with all the guards and the correct motor I would say it was worth about 300-400 bucks. They are a very neat tractor. You don't have any pics of the tractor you can post on here do you? ~Jake

TT

Production was supposedly around 20,000 units.

There are quite a few other models that were built in lesser quantity.

Kelly

I've never looked for one, but have owned 5 of them, with out looking, I see them in very poor cond. on CL around me at least one a month.

Ken B

Finding one that has the correct motor with everything intact and in good condition is the real rarity here. I have an early one with a K90 on it in nice shape, it even has the original leather shifter boot and Schanake recoil on it. 400 bucks wouldn't even be in the ball park if I were to let it go but it might get you a decent one from someone selling one that isn't into tractors or a collector.

• Like 1

hcminis

Thanks everyone. Don't think this tractor is worth the $250.00 he is asking. Started at $400.00 and down to $250.00 have pictures on my phone. Needs a lot of work and is missing the guards.

VinsRJ

If the hood and gas tank are in good shape, 250 is not a bad pice.

hcminis

Here are the pictures. He is firm at $250.00 but I don't see that happening.

post-1864-0-11691200-1346077991.jpg

post-1864-0-78921700-1346078013.jpg

post-1864-0-67980200-1346078041.jpg

post-1864-0-24440100-1346078076.jpg

post-1864-0-14111200-1346078101.jpg

post-1864-0-06667300-1346078150.jpg

post-1864-0-98086400-1346078191.jpg

post-1864-0-88925200-1346078226.jpg

Eriks Red horse herd

Looks like an early 58 has also an early square guard mower deck which was also used on th e Rj-35s . They where carried over on the early 58s. Aslo has an early front hubs and early crude slot hitch check and see if it has casting numbers on top of trans near shifter boot . Can't see the serial number that we also determine how early .The hood looks in decent shape. Still not a bad price for an early 58.

CasualObserver

I won't guess at a value because something like that has too many variables. Location, condition, completeness, attachments, competition amongst other local collectors, how much the seller knows about it, how connected the seller is to it and finally what I should have put first because it's probably the most important factor....how badly a buyer wants it.

I will tell you, I wouldn't pay $250 for it. Not even close.... but I have an RJ. If I didn't have one... I'd think long and hard about the $$ number I could live with and the timeframe I'm willing to wait. They're not rare, but they aren't common. I'd bet you could find one for sale every day of the year somewhere in the US, it just may not be anywhere near you.

hcminis

Thanks guys. Was thinking the tractor was not worth that much. Would like to have it but not going to spend that much for one that needs the amount of work this tractor needs.

krazy_horse

You've got to admit '' Thats a cute little rascal"

• Like 1

Tankman

Nice old Stallion!

A lot would depend on how many shop hours you have, how badly you want the Horse.

I'd offer a hundred bucks and drive away, leave your number. :eusa-think:

• Like 1

rj35hunter

I would like to know what that serial number reads with it being an early RJ.......... :scratchead:

It's amazing how the rough RJ's have the serial tag there & some of the nice ones are missing??

hcminis

serial number is 1768

Coadster32

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but I've had two RJ's in my garage come and go, without even trying. I guess that's when you'll find them though...when you're not looking. With all the other really active members up here now, I don't think they'll just show up anytime soon again for me.

hcminis

Gonna pass on this one. Would only come down to $240.00 and it is at least 2 hour drive. Think I can find one in better shape for that price.

rj35hunter

serial number is 1768

Thank you!

VinsRJ

Gonna pass on this one. Would only come down to $240.00 and it is at least 2 hour drive. Think I can find one in better shape for that price.

I disagree on the $240, thats a fair price for an early production RJ, just look through completed EB auctions and old CL adds, $200-250 is run of the mill... I will give you one thing though, the two hour drive is what throws the deal off, add in the fuel cost and now the cost structure is to much. There are a lot of cool/nice early parts on that tractor and IMO the only way to get an RJ in just about any condition for less than $150 is from someone who doesn't know what they have.

Put any style front wheel on it, knock out the big dent in the hood, give it a bath, put it on EB and $300+ in seven days.

hcminis

Agree Vin....would buy it in a heart beat if it weren't 2+ hours away. That is 2+ hours one way. Would be excited to have one in my stable but the "wants" have to give way to the "needs"....

jwicker

hcminis, I was looking into that same tractor just today.

Seller (high school kid) is still stuck at $240.

I'm 2 hours in a different direction from it and can't justify the cost plus drive/gas.

I'm guessing he's trying to raise $ for a car.

Plus - he has now taken a lot of it apart 'to clean it up'.

That translates into a basket case for me.

He just dropped the VALUE (in my opinion) at least $100 because he probably lost some of it in the process.

I could be wrong tho.

jon

hcminis

Jon

He is a 16 year old kid. Said he paid $240.00 for it and just wants the money back. He is a Cub Cadet fan and said someone is trading him a cub for it. However, I tried trading him a Cub Cadet Original for it and wouldn't even do that. Told him I wanted $75.00 plus the RJ. Told me the Original wasn't worth that....which is not true. My Original has a rebuilt starter/generator, two transmissions, good hood with cross support still present, and very good hood ornaments. PLUS, my original runs...he couldn't get the RJ last I talked to him. That is when I gave up...

Ken B

I'm a Cub Cadet guy as well, I think you did the right thing. If there is one tractor other than a Wheel Horse that I'd want in my stable at this point it is an Original. I have owned just about all of the earlier Cubs at one point or another but an Original is the one that always eluded me!

I wouldn't even bother with the motor on that RJ. I'd have it off and in the trash in about 45 seconds flat. I do agree with Vin, I think it is worth the 240 bucks he wants for it, especially if the transmission seems to be good. It will clean up real nice.

Horse Play

Is this the one on Louisville's Craigslist?

• Like 1

jwicker

Yes it was on Louisville CL. I ended up picking it up this afternoon. A 2 hour+ drive each way, but got it for $160.

Motor ran with starting fluid. Surprise!

Needs new tires all around. And a new front wheel.

Any affordable choices on the front wheels and new tires especially back.

I'm ok with aftermarket on all. OEM isn't gonna matter to my son. Ha

I think I did ok. Thoughts?

Thx

Jon

• Like 1