608KEB

difference between a B & C model?

608KEB

I have some B-100's and I was wondering what the difference was Between B-100 and a C-100 is. Is it size of the rear axle at 1 1/8", the length of the frame?

stevasaurus

I'm going to stick my neck out here...be gentle guys...just trying to answer the question and get the thread rolling. :bow-blue:

The C-100 is a 1975 horse, 8 speed trans with a 10 hsp Kohler.

The B-100 of the same year is an automatic transmission with a 10 hsp Kohler.

Now here is where it gets interesting...

the B-100 from year 1976 is an 8 speed trans with a 10 hsp Kohler...same transmission as the C-100...same engine...same frame. So what are the differences...the stickers :) ...OK now for the experts. :bow-blue:

rmaynard

C-100 had the same frame (long) as the '76 & '77 B-100. According to the attributes list on the SEPW website, an 8-speed or 5091 hydro was available.

The C-100 had lights as standard equipment. B-100 was always an option.

608KEB

Thanks guys. was the 5091 hydro different from the ones on the 74, 75 B-100?

rmaynard

The B-100's had a Sundstrand 90-1136.

If you look at the owner's manual for the C-100, it makes no reference to the hydro. Only the attributes page in the online parts manual, and the transmission parts diagram make any reference to it.

Tankman

Confused? I am somewhat.

My '73 12 hp Kohler with the Sunstrand hydro, I think somewhere I saw B-C (?). I do have headlamps.

Do I have a B or a C?

The other Horse in my barn is a '68 Raider, 12 hp Kohler and a six speed?

Three forwards and a reverse, high range and low range. This Horse also has head lamps.

Is this a B or a C?

Memory of 40 years ago, my first Wheel Horse tractors, I did plow (dig), dozer snow, mow, sweep, pull wagons.

Those early tractors were equipped, weak mem here, 8 hp Briggs or whatever.

The mowers were 36" rear discharge, rusted to h... At the time I made prototype machinery mostly 316 SS.

The decks and more were replaced using the cast spindles, all the rest was 316 SS under the powder coat paint.

Magnets wouldn't stick. The SS looked like new factory WH issued parts. Nice to find two

Horses recently, time on my hands, parked the 25 hp SLT 1550. Guess I'll put that junque on Craig's list.

Great forums here, excellent help, fun. Thank y'all!

sscotsman

I always thought the B was slightly smaller than lighter than the C..

My interpretation, might or might not be correct:

A series was the small light-duty lawn tractor/mower.

B series was the smallest "true garden tractor" in the lineup.

C series was a slightly larger, heavier and more powerful tractor than the B.

D series of course being the biggest and baddest..

true? not true?

Scot

• Like 1

rmaynard

I always thought the B was slightly smaller than lighter than the C..

My interpretation, might or might not be correct:

A series was the small light-duty lawn tractor/mower.

B series was the smallest "true garden tractor" in the lineup.

C series was a slightly larger, heavier and more powerful tractor than the B.

D series of course being the biggest and baddest..

true? not true?

Scot

The A series were lawn tractors.

The B-80 came with a shorter frame in 1974 and 1975, and had a 4 speed transmission with 1" axles. So I guess it was "lighter".

But in 1976 and 1977 they had the longer frame and the 1-1/8" axles.

The B-100 had the shorter frame in 1974 and 1975.

In 1976 and 1977 both the B-80, B-100, C-120 and C-160 all were longer frames.

The C-120 and C-160 were more powerful only because of the bigger engines, but the C-100 only had a 10HP.

Now to make it more complicated, the B-60 with it's 7hp engine and non-electric start, also had the longer frame and 1-1/8" axles.

So I guess the answer is not exactly true. Take a 1977 B-80 or B-100, replace the engine with a K301 or K341, add head lights and tail lights, replace the decals, and you have a C-120 or C-160.

• Like 5

rmaynard

Confused? I am somewhat.

My '73 12 hp Kohler with the Sunstrand hydro, I think somewhere I saw B-C (?). I do have headlamps.

Do I have a B or a C?

The other Horse in my barn is a '68 Raider, 12 hp Kohler and a six speed?

Three forwards and a reverse, high range and low range. This Horse also has head lamps.

Is this a B or a C?

The no-name tractors were very similar to the B's and C's, but the letter designation did not come along until 1974.

Kelly

I can add the B-100 auto in 74 (my sons tractor) only has 1" axles I thought it odd they would do that only on the B's, it had to cost more for that then using axles and case machining that was already being used on the C's.

123GO

Very old post I know but Im curious why everyone seems to compare B-100 to C-120 and not C-100, yr built I guess?

My 76 B-100 has the 8 pinion 5091 8 speed trans according to the wheel horse trans repair manual. I can tell its 1 1/8 axle for sure so its same as 74/75 C-100's here. It came with optioned headlights too but not standard equipment like C-100.

Seems to me in 76-77 yrs wheel horse just took the 74-75 C-100 8spds and made the headlights optional and changed stickers to say B-100? Both are 10hp Kohlers but without having a C-100 here Im just looking at basics in specs. Does it seem more likely these are same?

Also mine has the 23" AG rear tires and the man I bought it from owned it since new & said they were original. The 76 add shows they were options and everything seems original that Ive found so far so I dont doubt him.

So 76/77 yrs B-100 & 74/75 C-100 maybe same tractors?

Jiminater

I know this is a very old topic but I just acquired a C-100 model Wheel Horse with a 16hp Kohler engine. (K341s)  By all the discussion on this thread it sounds as though this shouldn't even exist. ( a C-100 with a 16hp kohler).  The engine appears to be original but I would like anyone else's thoughts on this.

• Like 1

slammer302

I would say the motor has been swapped out that would make it a c-160

Any pics

rustyoldjunk

I think the only major differences between the B and C series tractors that shared the 8 speed or hydro trans was mainly cutting a little cost or giving Wheel Horse a way to offer good,better or best (the D series). The only real differences between the 8 speed and hydro B and C was the B got 22 inch 7.50 rear tires as opposed to the C's 23 inch 8.50 wide rear tires,the B didn't get lights,etc. A more basic no frills tractor for a few less bucks.

123GO

Rustoldjunk is mostly correct until a customer factory ordered one and see's a Wheelhorse options list for each model. Then things sort of weird out on some models...lol

As stated my 8sp 76 B-100 had the 23/8.50 AG tractor tires and headlights options like the C-120.   The stickers & 10hp vs 12hp was the only difference.

Seems parts availability as one went down the assembly line changed some into higher/lower graded models too since most parts easly interchanged. Why some report having 1" axle vs 1 1/8" axles, larger wheels ect.. on the same models when they're compared. This goes for all models from what I read.  Didnt stop or switch over that assembly line to wait for parts unless they just had too.

Best thing to do is get the parts manual for the model you have. Use the numbers from the metal tag on the tractor not just its stickers.  Parts manuals can be found cheap on Ebay if a member here dont have one?

• Like 1

Jiminater

Thanks for the info guys. That's sort of a bummer since I like to do mostly original restorations. This is my first tractor.

I guess it's like buying a 4 cylinder Mustang and finding out someone put a V8 in it. Lol

123GO

Doubt you'll have any trouble at all finding someone to swap that 16hp for a 10hp so yours will be original again...lol

• Like 1

slammer302

My dad has had a charger 10 with a 16hp Kohler on it sense I was a teenager and I never new it wasn't original till I got older it's still one of his favorites

slammer302

Pics57b68d2ab1710193f2fae224c7339155.jpgc5f9b06b5765f5cb3b2143ad3c75b61b.jpgI've also noticed this charger 10 has the attachomatic like most B and C series others I've seen don't have it

Callen

Probably a newer frame that may have come along with the K341. What model number on the tag and where is the tag?

Edited by Callen

slammer302

I did check the tag and it said it was a charger 10 I believe its on the side of the dash tower

• Like 1

Jiminater

Any chance anyone knows what the "S" stands for in the engine model#? K341S

slammer302

Electric start is what it stands for

Ernie1990
On Thursday, February 26, 2015 at 10:03 PM, Jiminater said:

I know this is a very old topic but I just acquired a C-100 model Wheel Horse with a 16hp Kohler engine. (K341s)  By all the discussion on this thread it sounds as though this shouldn't even exist. ( a C-100 with a 16hp kohler).  The engine appears to be original but I would like anyone else's thoughts on this.

I have a c100 with a 10hp kohler if you want to swap motors Jiminator... lol

davem1111
On 8/16/2012 at 4:53 PM, rmaynard said:

C-100 had the same frame (long) as the '76 & '77 B-100. According to the attributes list on the SEPW website, an 8-speed or 5091 hydro was available.

The C-100 had lights as standard equipment. B-100 was always an option.

Dragging out a very old thread, thinking about what I want to do with this B-100 I picked up a few weeks ago.  Waiting for some parts to see if I can get it running (first priority), but then what?  Deck needs a little welding and TLC but not too bad.  Tires.... we shall see.

The question I have is about headlights.  Mine has a white plastic emblem in the front of the hood, which is cracked at the corners. I might be able to patch it up with some epoxy, but I was wondering if the hole in this hood was the same as a C-100, i.e. if I buy a C-100 headlight fixture would it fit in there?  I like having headlights/taillights on a tractor (even though it doesn't get dark until freaking 10PM here in southern Indiana on the far west edge of the convoluted Eastern Time Zone line... :wacko: ).   Anyone know if that would fit?