Sign in to follow this  
Nick

Windows pc problem question

Nick

Ok I know very little about computers so not real sure I can even properly explain my problem. B)B)

First I have XP professional on a less than year old low end Acer computer. For the last few weeks if I try to open a new tab 3 out of 4 times it never opens and just continuously says connecting. I also can not close that new tab, trying normally leads to closing all tabs with the windows task manager. :whistle: Not sure if its connected problem but it also seems harder to follow links posted on the forum. Even the "show all" link in the smilies doesnt often work for me. The computer might also just be slower at times than it had been.

All I have tried is running the Notron 360 virus program, Java updates and Microsft updates. I do have a Microsoft update that will not load. It tries to load the update but then says FAILED! and shows update has failed to load Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Express Edition Service Pack 2 (KB 921896) Tried 4 or 5 times now and still no luck.

Might be best to just get the BFH. B)

nylyon

First clean up the PC with this Do the browser files as well as the registry.

Second, download and run spybot It will take a little while but it is pretty good at getting you back in gear, removing any potential threats which your virus program might not fine. Speaking of which, did you do a scan?

Once those are done, see how it runs. Oh, spybot will load a whole bunch of "protection" items, it's fine. If you want to remove the program when you are done, that is fine too.

Do you, or did you at one time have SQL server loaded?

How much memory do you have?

Nick

Ive only have 512mb of memory but never had a problem before now. Most of the time I have a tab open for youtube, redsquare and maybe ebay also.

Not sure if it does all that the other programs do but I ran Norton 360 version 2.0

Didnt know what the SQL server update was for just something microsoft automatic update loaded but couldnt install. B)

I just tried the spybot. Just found tracking cookies no big problems.

perry

thanks for posting the cleaner link karl B) .

i have been using this one for a few years now. its pretty decent but i have'nt seen a upgrade in a few years. i like format and funtions of the the CCleaner you posted. so i downloaded it from your link and gonna give that one a try.

i also run spybot and AVG anti-virus and its been working out good. :whistle:

spoonman

I'm not an expert Nick but I do mess with computers a little and have been able to keep my pc problem free for about 8 years now, So I will give my advice.

512 Mb of ram is plenty for Internet browsing,most games and general apps but like with most things more is better and XP pro probably eats up more than Xp home version.

I have XP home with IE7 pro so it may be a little different but try this:

Click Start, Control Panel, Network and Internet Connections, go to Internet Options.

In this screen I recommended doing a few things

1: On the very top of the screen there are a bunch of tabs you want to go into the Security tab and click Restore all zones to default level. This will put your security settings where they need to be for your browser, sometimes they get changed somehow.

2: Back to the top of the Internet Properties window click the advanced tab in there you want to do the same thing click the Restore Advanced Settings tab. now if you scroll down while you are in there under Multimedia I always uncheck the box that says Enable Automatic Image Resizing this way your browser will not resize images when you are browsing the net. If you want to leave it enabled its up to you but it makes the images smaller.

don't click the reset button under the Restore advanced settings unless nothing else works,it wont hurt anything its just that it totally resets the browser and you may lose any tool bars and stuff you may want to keep.

3: Now for the actual problem you are having, Click the General tab at the top, now there should be in that window somewhere the tabs settings and you want to click that,once in there I recommend just clicking Restore Defaults but you can mess with the settings if you want, to get it the way you like it.

While you are in the Internet Properties menu you should clear your browser history as well as temp files and cookies, if you have the same set up as me its all in the window that pops up when you click the delete tab under Browser History.

when done with that click ok and restart your computer.

Use Spybot Search and Destroy like nylyon said I also like Ad-Aware you can get it here its free http://www.download.com/Ad-Aware-2008/3000...cdlPid=10844457

make sure to update Spybot and Ad-Aware before each use or any program for that matter.A good free virus scanner to use if you get tired of paying for norton products is AVG http://www.download.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Fre...j=dl&tag=button

restart your computer after installing any programs

Also be very careful anytime you mess with the registry or use any program that messes with it, If you dont know what you are doing you could really screw up your computer.

sorry my reply is so long guys but I hope this helps B)

:whistle:

spoonman

also forgot ot mention that tool bars will mess with your browser settings to so only get the ones you will use like google

Curmudgeon

A lot of people run Norton and get along just fine, but once I trashed Norton and started using AVG, which by the way is free, my computer started running a lot better. I've run Spybot for years as well.

Nick

After reading some poor results from Norton users I just dumped the Norton 360 program and so far so good. :whistle: I can open and close multiple tabs plus I was able to click on links that wouldnt load just before uninstalling Norton. So guess Ill see how things go without it for a while.

I loaded Spybot last night, will load the cleaner now and sounds like I need to look into AVG anti-virus next. If things stay as they are maybe its fixed.

Thanks for the help from all of you. B)

KyBlue

AVG is a good program IMO - I use it with good results anyhow.

Hopefully you got it fixed!

Nick

Bit of an update on my computer problem. The problems did all came back a few days later. :whistle: I was tempted to buy some memory as was mentioned but Im just too cheap. So for my next fix Im trying Firefox 3.0 and its working fine so far. B) Guess time will tell again. B) Cant hurt to add memory even if thats not the problem so I might keep looking for something cheap.

spoonman

nick did you try the things I said?

Nick

spoonman, I think I did everything you mentioned. I didnt find the "enable resize image" and I didnt remove the Yahoo or ebay tool bars. At first I was sure it would be a virus but after scans by 3 different programs none have showed up. :whistle:

I might miss some things from IE7 but Firefox is kind of growing on me. So far the big plus is that it hasnt caused any problems. I like the most visited button, it keeps redsquare right at the top and fast to access. B) Has a built in spell check system and thats a plus for me. B) There might be a few quirks but if it keeps working I might just stay with it a while. http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Nick