ricksrj58

953 tranny

stevasaurus

Hey Mike...would a complete differential from a 3 speed uni-drive fit inside this transmission??? 4 pinion differential from say a 5025.

sorekiwi

I am reasonably sure that I dont have enough stuff here to replace all the broken bits you have. I probably have the gears but I dont think I have the blocks that support the cross shaft. I can check if you want, i think I've pulled 3 of the bevel gear trannies apart now.

I'd go for the 8 pinion swap and be done with it. While you are in there take a good look at the rest of the gearbox, just in case any of the other gears decided to eat some of the grenaded steel from the diff. A good cleanout of the bearings to make sure no metal worked its way in there as welll

ricksrj58

all the other gears look pretty good but i am still going to gut the cases and clean everything.

ricksrj58

ok i dropped a diff into the 953 case and i do not see why i would have to grind anything,it spins free and i even put the other case on and it still spun free. as far as i can tell all i need to do now is cut a groove in both axels for a c clip.

SAM_0598.jpg

stevasaurus

That looks nice Rick. :)

ricksrj58

the only thing i had available to use is a 8 spd 10 pinion limited slip diff,5073 tranny.

sorekiwi

OK, glad you are on your way.

In this thread: I posted some pictures comparing the bevel gear crownwheel with the 8 speed one, and showed where and why you have grind some clearance.

Its because the 8 pinion crown wheel is about 3/16" wider, and so can interfere with the spot where the teeth on the pinion gear starts to taper out.

I dont have a 10 pinion crownwheel available to measure at this time, it looks like its width might be the same as your bevel gear crownwheel, in which case you wont have a clearance issue

Lane Ranger

Rick/Steve and Mike: Thanks for all the detailsl on this posting . This is turning into the best 953/1054 differential rebuild yet!

I know it is not soemthing you wanted to go thru Rick but this should help a lot of Red Square members with any future issues.

Your photos have helped provide the details.

• Like 1

ricksrj58

i do believe that using the diff i am using the only thing you need to do cut gooves in the axels for c clips.i got the case all cleaned out and a new gasket cut out but it may be a few days till i get the axels cut and then it will be time to put her together.

ricksrj58

well i picked up the axels today and hopefully wednsday or thursday i will start putting it back together. i am having a major brain fart because i did not notice one axle is longer then the other i will probably figure it out when i have the tranny in front of me, but to save time what side of the case does the long axle go into?

TT

See if I get this right without looking.......

The longer axle goes into the longer end cap of the differential. Bolts go through from that side. Insert that side of the assembly into the right case.

• Like 2

ricksrj58

ok i got the diff put together and put the tranny together and i must have done something right because everything works.the only thing i need to do now is add gear oil.

SAM_0620.jpg

SAM_0621.jpg

• Like 1

TT

Excellent! :handgestures-thumbup:

ricksrj58

well i put it all together and she runs and drives great.allready started making her look better by adding some tri-ribs up front.

SAM_0634.jpg

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Looks great Rick...I take it that you did not have to file down anything in the differential. :) :)

ricksrj58

nope,i just had to cut the grooves in the axles for a c-clip.it was quick and easy.

Pullstart

I figured I’d bring this post back from the dead.  I never knew a 953 had a different diff in it!

squonk

Just glancing through this but I  take it as you put the guts of an 8 pinion into the 1054 case and cut grooves into the original 1054 axles?

Edited by squonk

953 nut
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Just glancing through this but I  take it as you put the guts of an 8 pinion into the 1054 case and cut grooves into the original 1054 axles?

If you decide you want to cut grooves be sure that they are not too deep or too wide. The snap ring need to fit snugly just as they do on later axles, if not the axle could come out of the differential,           :hide:       don't ask me how I know this.               

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

squonk
10 hours ago, 953 nut said:

If you decide you want to cut grooves be sure that they are not too deep or too wide. The snap ring need to fit snugly just as they do on later axles, if not the axle could come out of the differential,           :hide:       don't ask me how I know this.               

Richard, is what I stated correct?  Use an 8 pinion diff with the 1054 axles?

953 nut
16 minutes ago, squonk said:

Richard, is what I stated correct?  Use an 8 pinion diff with the 1054 axles?

Yes, you can use a1 1/8" 8 pinion or a 10 pinion limited slip differential in the 953/1054 transmission.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

oliver2-44

Thanks @pullstart I’m saving this for when I get to my 953 rebuild

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

This is from a post from @jeremi3210 earlier...

He says: 

”I put a 8 speed in my 953, this may sound crazy but it works. I took the half with the hi low shifter and mated it with the other half of the original trans. Been working great for Years. This is the second time I've done this. I plan on Bringing my 953 to the plow days in a few weeks pullstart if you want to check it out.”

I figured it would be a great addition to this thread too!  @PeacemakerJack check this out!

• Excellent 1

PeacemakerJack

Nice!!!! Looking forward to checking that one out in person👍🏻

• Like 1