Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Local Gardening

Prater

Here is a short video from around my area. I know Robert at Sunrise Acres, one of the best people I have met since starting a garden this last year...

http://vimeo.com/5426119

JamesBe1

Excellent vid Steve. Thanx for posting it. I hope to see you in the next instalment!

You would probably enjoy Joel Salatin's stuff. http://www.polyfacefarms.com/ He was featured in Food Inc.

Are you still considering selling at the farmers market?

Prater

Yes, but i dont know if I will be ready this year. Trying to get a control on pests at the moment. I really want to develop the soil with more compost through this winter and see how the spring garden does. Money is a bit tight right now also...

County Agent

Steve, if your goal is to improve the tilth of your garden soil, increase organic matter content and increase natural fertility, you might consider the use of a green manure crop this fall and winter in addition to adding compost. The agricultural agent at your nearest Oklahoma State University Cooperative Extension office can suggest good green manure crops that are suitable for your area. Good luck! You can seldom go wrong by adding organic matter be it compost, aged livestock manures, etc. to your garden.

Prater

I have a few places to get the manure. Hoping to clean the pasture next door of the horse manure they leave on the ground.

County Agent

Horse manure is a good soil amendment. Also, growing what's called a green manure crop such as crimson clover or vetch and wheat can be very beneficial. A green manure crop is plowed into the garden in late winter or early spring and all of the plant residue adds a lot of organic matter plus legumes such as crimson clover and vetch supply slow release nitrogen. Again, good luck in improving your garden soil. You can really improve it over time.