Sign in to follow this  
Kelly

A quick worker refurbish.

Kelly

Well my parents are coming up from TX for the MI WH show, they have wanted to for a few years, I talked to Mom the other day and she said Dad wants to come and look at all the stuff, but he don't get around very well any more and figured after 20 min. he would be done, I said well I think I know someone that has a few tractors they could ride around, she was thrilled, but wanted to be sure she could drive it, like her C-120 auto I said no problem I have a couple autos here for them to use, but they are not real pretty, she said she didn't care, well after getting off the phone me and Ryan went out back to pick a tractor, I tried selling this nice running C-121 on here and on CL for $300 and no takers, we have put about 3 hours time on this using it around the yard to haul stuff and what not, well I figured I can't have them riding a ugly tractor, with me being the host, so it is getting a quick make over, not a restore but just a quick repaint new decals, and tidy up the wiring, new fuel lines, nicer seat, you know the basic stuff to make it a nicer user tractor, me and Ryan tore into it peeling the decals off, then last night we took all the sheet metal off, and pulled the wiring and a few other things, today we loaded it up and took it to the car wash for a bath, it cleaned up nice, taking this tractor apart we found it is in very nice shape, with little wear and tear on it, looks to have been well cared for except the paint, we took more apart then I planned but that is the way it always goes, I think I might try the new Magic paint line at TSC on this just to see if I like it, I took 10 rims to the powder coater today 4 fronts and 6 rears (2 for the raffle tires) then 4 are going on this C-121 then I 'll have a set of 4 ready to put on something else later, and for the price you can't beat it, he is blasting all 10 rims and powder coating them for $130 and this is not a guy in a back yard, this place has a blaster that the hose looks like it goes on a fire truck, the the bake booth you can fit a semi trailer in it, I can't blast them and buy paint for that price.

anyway here is our mini project, I hope to have done in a week or so.

in the begining

post-85-0-20005100-1342735471_thumb.jpg

sans decals, I hate removing them.

post-85-0-12395100-1342735710_thumb.jpg

after a bath and a little more tear down, shot some rattle can primer on the sides of the dash tower.

post-85-0-17448300-1342737092_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-88297100-1342737171_thumb.jpg

engine about ready for a coat of red.

post-85-0-04410500-1342737244_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

varosd

looks great Kelly! I'm sure it will look nice when you finish. I did some parts with the Majic paint and the color is the match for me!

Kelly

I want to see how it sprays with a gun, then use the crap out of the tractor to see how it holds up, I know it will set outside so we will see how it fades.

bowtiebutler956

I'll be looking forward to seeing how your rapid refresh turns out. :thumbs: You are definitely starting with a nice solid foundation. So, Kelly when your done, will you sell it to me for $300? :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas: :flags-texas:

Kelly

I'll be looking forward to seeing how your rapid refresh turns out. :thumbs: You are definitely starting with a nice solid foundation. So, Kelly when your done, will you sell it to me for $300? :ychain:

Matt :flags-texas: :flags-texas:

Well maybe not for $300, but for the right price it could go home to TX with my parents in the back of their dodge truck B)

• Like 1

WH520

Have one sitting around you'd like to do for me next? :ychain:

I used Majic IH Red that was sprayed with a gun on my 518 when I repainted it and so far I like it more than the Old WH Red I used the first time. I have bumped a few places on the hood/mule drive while using it and there are nicks in the paint. I can't compare it to Valspar since I've never used it but comparing it to the Old WH Red, it's not as strong. As far as fading goes that's where I like the Majic more than the WH. The tractor is always kept inside but it didn't take very long for it to look pink after painting with the WH paint. The Majic is just as deep and bright as when I painted it.

Martin

kelly, im liking the idea of the quick restores or redo's whatever you want to call them.........

hard to loose interest, or get in a rut when everything is moving quick........

plus theres no second guessing if 'that parts going to look good enough'.......just gather your parts,strip them and paint em.....

Jake Kuhn

Looking good Kelly! :bow-blue: Can't wait to see it finished! Jake

Kelly

Quick little update, we got it wire wheeled and scuff padded lastnight, swapped in a new set of axle seals, then hung it on the engine hoist, taped up a few things, this is nothing like a real restore, but it will be just fine for what it will be used for, I bought a gal. of the Majic paint with reducer and hardener, it sprays pretty good, but like most cheap oil base paints the over spray is a sticky nasty mess, I know I don't like painting tractors together as well as in pieces, it is much harder to get all sides of things on it, with out running the paint, no runs but a few heavy spots here and there, it does flow out good, and with it staying wet longer it is easy to blend areas that you painted with out dry spray, I shot it this morning about 9am at 78 deg, it is going to be in the 90's today so I hope it helps dry it.

I wet the driveway but the paint stays wet so long the water drys and the paint still sticks to the cement, I rewet it but I think I will have a red drive again this year :hide: like most years in the past, I sent the rims out with other rims to be blasted and powder coated, it in the end is cheaper and way faster than blasting and painting them myself.

I hope to have some Majic primer on the hood and fender later today to see if I like it, and should have the basic engine painted, and maybe a few other parts later today or first thing in the morning, it would be nice to have all the big stuff painted by wed. but we will see.

All hung and Ryan sweeping the driveway

post-85-0-96024000-1342886177_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-47228500-1342886311_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-21192800-1342886407_thumb.jpg

It's Red, but look a bit orange like the Valspar IH red, but it will all be one color, so it is fine.

post-85-0-77453200-1342886653_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-66480800-1342886776_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

ol550

Runs or sags let you know you have it covered. :handgestures-thumbup:

Trouty56

I like how you hang it like a deer for painting.....

varosd

looks great Kelly. like a bloody slab "O" beef!

• Like 1

Kelly

It's still wet, 9 hours in near 90 deg weather, you can't touch it with out leaving a major finger print, if you push you get a red finger, ugh not sure I like it now, valspar would be dryer, I did get most of the sheet metal in primer, now lets see how long that takes to dry, I wanted to paint more tomorrow but now I'm not sure.

I guess I'm used to Auto paint we can paint a part at work and in 3-4 hours install it if your careful.

smoreau

Hay Kelly, its the wet magic look :ychain: I take its a oil base paint like valspar. did you add any hardener? or do they not make it for the new stuff? I hope it works out for you as we know you don't have the extra time to start over.

ol550

It's still wet, 9 hours in near 90 deg weather, you can't touch it with out leaving a major finger print, if you push you get a red finger, ugh not sure I like it now, valspar would be dryer, I did get most of the sheet metal in primer, now lets see how long that takes to dry, I wanted to paint more tomorrow but now I'm not sure.

I guess I'm used to Auto paint we can paint a part at work and in 3-4 hours install it if your careful.

Been there, Takes a good 3 days before you can really handle it. After a couple of weeks you can mount tires on rims painted with it and leave marks on the beads. :banghead::banghead:

Reminds me of the Van Sickle I used in the past on wheels, tougher than nails after a month.

Martin

looking good kelly and ryan.....

i wouldnt have the patience to wait that long for paint to dry though........

chris hall

good idea using the cherry picker !!!!!

Kelly

Yes I used hardener, I had to drive 60 mile round trip to get some the local TSC was out, and there is no time to start over, the primer is still wet after 5 hours, I was hoping to sand the primer and paint tomorrow, but I know that will not happen, painting over semi dry primer is a big NO NO, I have a ton of other stuff to do, but it will come to a point where I'm ready to paint more or assemble, and slow dry times are going hinder that.

Me and Ryan started on stripping a tow behind sulky I picked up over the fall last year, for my Mom to ride on, when she is not driving something, Ryan is doing most of that, I can't believe how nice this 50+ year old sulky is, it will look good when done I'll get pics of it tomorrow, I forgot before ones we were on a roll doing stuff, the camera was even sitting right there :banghead:

The cherry picker is a good idea, I had planned to put it up on jack stands, but would not have been able to get the bottom very good, I'm not real tall so painting the front was fun....not, but I think it looks ok, I'll know when I let it down, if it ever drys.

Kelly

Well update my cherry picker let it's self down over night, not bad just sat the trans on the hitch mount, I can deal with that, it was probably me not getting the old valve closed tight, but I pulled the primed parts out to check them, they are still very soft, this could be a major set back if these parts don't dry soon, I think I'm about done with cheap paint, spend a few more $$ and get better stuff to work with, this might be ok if you have a month to let stuff dry, the way this primer is drying I realy shouldn't paint over it for a week or more, but I only have about a week till thisneeds to be about done.

Martin

thats too bad kelly. i remember many times being in the same situation. youre looking at it and picturing two roads to go down........

let it dry, wait and wait and maybe it will cure out ok...

or get to stripping it and try and make up time, really messy job.....

could you come up with another tractor at short notice to replace it and let the paint dry out on this one?.....

just sucks when this sort of thing happens. i can understand you being done with cheap paint.

with most things now, i just dont want to go the cheap route. they still try it at work with some stuff i order for maintenance, but more times than not have to go back and get them to order the specific quality (read more expensive) parts i wanted.......

just doesnt make sense in the end........

zieg72

Got to love long oil alkyds. 7 hour dry... 1 hour a day for 7 days...

Kelly

Well hopes are it is going to be in the mid 90's today and everything is baking in the sun, lets hope this helps speed things up, I really don't have time to start another machine, I have about a million other things to be doing, this was a last min. try to make something nice for Mom and Dad to ride on, I have a few nice 520's but they wanted something they are familiar with driving like their C-120 auto, I'm sure I can do this but it is going to be a dash in the end after everything drys up.

It's getting down right hot out now, but I need to go and get more done, back later with another update.

Ken B

I gotta hand it to you for giving the cheaper paint a try. If it turned out that the Majic paint was good and you liked it we would all know that there would have been an acceptable alternative for a worker restoration. Now I know that I won't bother with the stuff. I'm sure in the end its going to look great! One mans worker restoration is another mans show piece.

• Like 1

Kelly

Well the paint is getting dry, still looks good, but still will finger print if you push a little, no way would I try to put a bolt in and tighten it, it would peel the paint right off, now the primer, I'm getting very POed at, 24 hours and I can still push it around with my finger, has a skin on top but very wet under that, I took some 400 grit paper VERY lightly to break the surface the best I could to help it dry, but sanding it I moved the skin all over!!!!! and I know how to deal with paint and such I've been doing it for 30 years, this really SUCKS, but I must chug on, back out to spray more parts with color, most of it is small stuff or stuff I'm not priming, it's oil base paint it sticks to everything even grease I found a spot on the trans I didn't get clean, and it covered it right up, well I'll be back in a bit, wish me luck.

And your right Ken, I know it will look ok when done, but not up to my capabilities or standards but I'm trying to go cheap and paying for it, I should have left the whole thing together and hosed it down and let it dry, slapped the stickers on and said DONE.

Kelly

Well more is red, I got the engine, seat mount, dash, PTO bell, and a number of brackets, all done, lets see how long this takes to dry, I upped the hardener a little to see what that will do?? I know too much and it takes longer to dry, but we will see, I can say one thing for this paint it covers good.

I got the chassis on it's wheels again, and painted the rims for the sulky, I can see the end, but I have to wait till stuff drys, and the primer is still wet, if it's not dry tomorrow after work I may strip it off the parts.

I didn't take it apart much, painted it about the way the factory did.

post-85-0-95130000-1342998378_thumb.jpg

post-85-0-26747300-1342998858_thumb.jpg

cherry picker comes in handy to hang stuff for paint.

post-85-0-38156700-1342998792_thumb.jpg

Back on the ground

post-85-0-12074700-1342998967_thumb.jpg

sulky rims, Krylon Ivory

post-85-0-40650000-1342999033_thumb.jpg