TJ

What Are You Listening To?

Sarge

Local stations have been running that song all summer - it's addictive for sure ...pretty serious talent in that band with their throwback sound and style .

Sarge

r356c

Go Wolverines!

The guys in Greta Van Fleet are still in High School for cripes' sake. Ten years at least from hitting their stride. Amazing Rock and Roll talent.

The snarl is already starting to show. They left Zep in the dust with this performance. 

Best thing to happen to hard rock in a long long time.

AMC RULES

Abbey Lincoln 

August 6, 1930 – August 14, 2010

Edited by AMC RULES

tunahead72

My daughter has been battling a knee injury from soccer since late September, and we've been battling our beloved (NOT) insurance company for about a month.  We finally got some very good news yesterday from a highly respected orthopedic surgeon, who really explained her injury in detail and told us that she's healing just fine and just needs to get more aggressive with her physical therapy.  She can do that.

All of which reminds me of these two tunes, just kind of very loosely related to her situation, from Rory Gallagher's last studio album sessions.  I was fortunate enough to see Rory play live several times before he passed away, and it was always a treat.  RIP, gentle sir.

WHX??

Good to hear about the dau. Tuna .... appropriate tunes...... 

• Like 1

slim67
On 7/30/2012 at 7:31 PM, 1maidenfan said:

Based on your username and some of the vids you posted, I would say you and I are on the same page in a big book of music. I doubt anyone here would like what I listen to and thats cool cause I wouldnt expect them to. Im listening to a band named " carpathian forest" as I type this. Its different for sure but its still rocknroll !:music-deathmetal:

dodge78

• Like 4

tunahead72

Just heard that Pat DiNizio from the Smithereens passed away last night.  One of the few bands from the '80's I could listen to for very long.  R.I.P.

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

After watching and recognizing the Lincoln Motor Company Christmas commercial known as "Olivia's Wish List" I searched for the piece of music used. It is "Waltz 2 from Jazz Suite No. 2" by Dmitri Shostakovich. There are a number of orchestral versions online but this one was interesting as it uses the Flash Mob format. It is by the Bucharest Symphony Orchestra. Interesting to watch the security guards reaction and the onlookers interest. They also include a rendition of "Les Toreadors" from Carmen No. 1 by Georges Bizet.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Excellent 1

ztnoo

My listening tastes are historically rooted given my age, kaka happens ..... C'est la vie.

BUT, they are eclectic, with doubt.

My general mindset is early rock in the 60's extending to maybe the mid 80's.

I know all that really foundational stuff ...........Bill Hailey, Chuck Berry, Little Richard, Elvis, The Ventures, Beach Boys, Beatles, Clapton, Jeff Beck, Jimmy Page, Hendrix, etc.....I could fill volumes which don't need to be filled.

Loved jazz too....Dave Brubeck via TIME OUT, Mr. Superman piano talent, Supremo! I play TIME OUT at least once a week. Miles Davis....John Coltrane.....

I even appreciated the piano musicianship of Victor Borge.

Oh well, Ottmar help me bridge the past with now or a least the reasonably recent past.

I always followed the best guitarists whatever their genre (A WHOLE OTHER THREAD)....Heaven forbid if I exclude Andres Segovia....or John Williams...largely because they have given some of the best all time classical guitarist performances.

Ottmar kept my interest in new guitarists going, until JOE BONAMASA came along.

Holy Crap Batman.

He's everyone as far as guitarists all rolled together in one package

Music accentuates our lives.....and gives them profound meaning.

Enjoy!

You may remember the title track from Santana's original first album........but go ahead and wallow in the easy listening of the rest of the album.

Solo Para Ti

image.png.30ee5c276b0b9925a0851bb5c4486a6a.png

Edited by ztnoo
  • Thanks 1

Sarge

Bonamasa must be the result of all the dead blues and rock musicians rolled up into one breathing demon - the man just never stops accelerating...amazing . He pulls these old classics out of nowhere and plays them like never heard before from memory - and drives it home with one of his own originals , wow .

There is sort of a new band out there making a lot of noise on the charts , as well as knocking folks off their assumption of age equals experience no matter what the talent - these are literally kids and it's not hard to see who they grew up listening to - just be prepared for what comes next...

Sarge

• Like 1

r356c

Greta Van Fleet can already hold a stadium with live performances. ..

Modern studio work with the Frankenmuth/Motown Wall of Sound will be something. Can't wait to listen to how they progress.

I knew from the first track, this band has a much larger destiny than playing birthday parties at baby boomer retirement homes as a Zep cover band. :lol:

Digger 66

Sarge
9 hours ago, r356c said:

Greta Van Fleet can already hold a stadium with live performances. ..

Modern studio work with the Frankenmuth/Motown Wall of Sound will be something. Can't wait to listen to how they progress.

I knew from the first track, this band has a much larger destiny than playing birthday parties at baby boomer retirement homes as a Zep cover band. :lol:

Yeah - one song into it I could tell they are not any sort of a cover band and can't wait to see what the future holds for them - it's definitely going to be interesting . Been a long time that anyone has shown a truly original direction in the rock scene and they were sorely needed . Seems to be a large resurgence of influence from the bands of when I was a kid like Cream , the Hollies , Hendrix and others - and that's a good thing...

Sarge

• Excellent 1

Digger 66
21 hours ago, Sarge said:

Seems to be a large resurgence of influence from the bands of when I was a kid like Cream , the Hollies , Hendrix and others - and that's a good thing...

r356c

Just because it's winter. 

ebinmaine

One of this gentleman's better tunes... IMHO of course.

Truly showcases a few of his talents.

• Like 1

ztnoo

Time Out
The Dave Brubeck Quartet
Released:  December 14, 1959
Recorded:   June 25, July 1, and August 18, 1959

I first encountered this album on vinyl sometime in 1960 or early 1961. I knew virtually nothing about jazz as I would have been 12 or 13 years old, but this album was so unique, distinctive and memorable, it instantly got burned into my brain and aural senses. The virtuoso quality of the musicianship, particularly Brubeck (piano) and Paul Desmond (alto saxophone), left me dumbfounded. It was so different than anything I'd ever heard in my life, the album made a lifelong impression on me to this day. I saved up to buy my own vinyl LP of the record and played it so much I almost wore the poor thing out. Years later, after it was finally released on CD, I was set to be listening to a quality edition of the recording.
The album is based upon the use of time signatures that were unusual for jazz such as 9/8, 6/4, & 5/4.       
The album is a subtle blend of cool and West Coast jazz. It peaked at No. 2 on the Billboard pop albums chart, and has been certified platinum by the RIAA. Time Out was the first jazz album to sell more than a million copies. The single, "Take Five", also sold more than a million ......... which were off the chart, unfathomable numbers for a jazz album during this era.

If you have never heard it before, check you opinions at the door, open you mind, and let the music take you on a ride to somewhere you've never been before.

Listen to the whole album in one setting for best effect.
I even now listen to it at least a couple of times per month, and enjoy it just as much now, if not more, than I did as a youngster.

Side one
  1. "Blue Rondo à la Turk" – 6:44
  2. "Strange Meadow Lark" – 7:22
  3. "Take Five" – 5:24
Side two
  1. "Three to Get Ready" – 5:24
  2. "Kathy's Waltz" – 4:48
  3. "Everybody's Jumpin'" – 4:23
  4. "Pick Up Sticks" – 4:16

*Addendumhttp://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/06/arts/music/dave-brubeck-jazz-musician-dies-at-91.html

Edited by ztnoo

19richie66
On 1/4/2018 at 1:23 PM, ebinmaine said:

One of this gentleman's better tunes... IMHO of course.

Truly showcases a few of his talents.

I like greasy kid’s stuff :thumbs:

• Like 1

r356c

Joe Satriani.

Woot! Heavy lift capability once again!

19richie66

:text-coolphotos: That is so awesome!

19richie66

someone had way too much time on thier hands but it’s so cool. 

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

someone had way too much time on thier hands but it’s so cool. 

Bit creepy but wicked awesome!

Shynon

Pink Floyd "One of these days"

• Like 3