Sign in to follow this  
rmaynard

Thoughts on muffler placement

rmaynard

I noticed that when I purchased my Commando 8, the pipe for the muffler had been extended.

post-2221-0-79410600-1340101090_thumb.jp

The Wheel Horse parts manual calls for a 2-1/2" nipple between the engine and the muffler. I used 3" on my rebuild.

post-2221-0-50981200-1340101949_thumb.jp

I have seen pictures here on RedSquare that have the muffler as originally configured, and other with an extension.

Does anyone have any ideas on why the mufflers were extended? Is it to keep the hood from getting too hot? Pictures of tractors with the muffler installed as I did don't show any discoloration of the hood paint. :confusion-shrug:

AMC RULES

Looks dangerously close Bob, it'll be interesting to see if the paint holds up over the weekend.

Was the engine pulley on that engine painted from the factory?

VinsRJ

Bob, I would extend the pipe so the muffler is just outside of the hood. After all the work in painting, its cheap insurance that the heat wil not effect the paint.

If someone has a problem with the muffler placement, IMO ignore them, LOL!

• Like 1

COMMANDO6

Well the manual for my Teccy shows a mufler like that pointing down wih a 45 degree bend. But Wheel Horse used a different type of muffler? So now it's under the hood right next to the air filter! The top and front of my hood do get rather hot after an hour's running.

rmaynard

Bob, I would extend the pipe so the muffler is just outside of the hood. After all the work in painting, its cheap insurance that the heat wil not effect the paint. If someone has a problem with the muffler placement, IMO ignore them, LOL!
You are probably right, but I don't think it's going to hurt that acrylic urethane, it's the vinyl decal I am most concerned about. But on the other hand, all that stuff's not cheap.

Looks dangerously close Bob, it'll be interesting to see if the paint holds up over the weekend. Was the engine pulley on that engine painted from the factory?
The pulley was not painted when I got it, but I have seen others that were.

As to the closeness of the muffler, I referred to your picture in the gallery and I see that yours is close. How is your paint and decal?

Anglo Traction

In the interest of preserving your Paint/Decal and your efforts, I would extend it so it clears the Hood irrespective of correctness.

JC 1965

Looks like the muffler is pretty close to the fuel line Bob, is that a problem ? :dunno:

rmaynard

Looks like the muffler is pretty close to the fuel line Bob, is that a problem ? :dunno:

It's just the angle that the picture was taken. There is actually between 1-1/2 to 2 inches clearance.

Fun Engineer

IMGP3803.jpgI also had an extension on mine when I bought it back Bob. Since I couldn't get a 2.5 inch nipple I too put a 3 inch on. I don't expect to run the engine a lot so I'm hoping there is no impact on the Valspar paint or the decal.

IMGP4575.jpg

AMC RULES

The pulley was not painted when I got it, but I have seen others that were.

As to the closeness of the muffler, I referred to your picture in the gallery and I see that yours is close. How is your paint and decal?

I'll see if I can get you a better pict of the area uploaded later this evening.

bean

I think the extended exhaust is to provide a little more clearance for the mule drive on later 8hp models. you obviously don't have that issue.

my 854 had a muffler that pointed down at a 45* angle to help with clearance of the hood,etc

AMC RULES

Seems you should have no heat related problems locating your muffler in that position.

post-3498-0-46339300-1340154927_thumb.jp

jay in nc

i used a 3 in. s.s. nipple on mine a 6in. will put it outside of the hood. Jay

stevebo

How about putting a 45 degree fitting and turn it down? I did that on my 701 and it seems to look fine.

buckrancher

How about putting a 45 degree fitting and turn it down? I did that on my 701 and it seems to look fine.

all the early 60's kohler wheel-horse's used a 45 elbow on the muffler

Brian

Kelly

yours looks correct, but i like it away from the paint, and I like the smaller tucky style muffler but they are hard to find with 1" threads that don't cost $30, I used a 45deg.fitting on my daughters 857, I think this year the pipe coming out of the engine will be changed to one that is 1" shorter, these are the best pics I could find of it.

100_3792.jpg

IMG_6756.jpg

rmaynard

I compromised and stuck a 4" nipple on it. Still sits partially under the hood, but the exhaust exits about 1-1/4" outside of the hood.

DMK855

That area of the hood seems to get quite a bit of air from the engine which in my opinion helps protect the paint/decals....... My 1055 is still wearing its original paint and is not burned up at all, and my Charger has not melted the decal!!