Sign in to follow this  
C-160 Tractor

Engine swap on WH C-160

C-160 Tractor

Hello Quick question I am thinking about and figure I should ask the pro's.

Is there another engine I can swap into my 1978 WH C-160 tract or?

It has a 16HP Kohler but I was wondering if there are any motors I can swap in its place?

Like if for some reason my motor blew or something was not working on it.

The parts are getting expensive on this old beast and I would be interested in possible new age swap.

are there any things to note here or take into consideration.

this is just really a dumb question I guess because mine is ok at the moment lol

just thinking a loud and asking the question.

Hope it wasn't asked a million times before me.

thanks

Brian

can whlvr

well you could put lots of engines in there,i asume if your tractor is a 78,its a c161 with the shaker plate,which means you would need the oil pan to put a kohler of a different era in,and not all kohlers will be a direct bolt in if it wasnt from a wh,you could put a honda,china clone,deisel,briggs,but i would rebuild the k341 that came in her ,if you did it right you cant get a better motor for the buck,it would cost somewhere around 500-750 for a good rebuild.a 341 is probally one of the best motors ever built(imo)and would be correct for the tractor and will be as powerful as anything out there

C-160 Tractor

well you could put lots of engines in there,i asume if your tractor is a 78,its a c161 with the shaker plate,which means you would need the oil pan to put a kohler of a different era in,and not all kohlers will be a direct bolt in if it wasnt from a wh,you could put a honda,china clone,deisel,briggs,but i would rebuild the k341 that came in her ,if you did it right you cant get a better motor for the buck,it would cost somewhere around 500-750 for a good rebuild.a 341 is probally one of the best motors ever built(imo)and would be correct for the tractor and will be as powerful as anything out there

true to all that my friend.

I agree but was just thinking about it and what options I would have.

I would rebuild the 341 for sure... :)

great motor very powerful.

so what do you mean when you say 500-750 for a good rebuild?

a whole complete motor or the cost to rebuild mine?

Also I am not to good with tractor motors so when you say I could put others in there wouldn't the output shaft need to be the same to match the PTO and the height be the same as well? or is that stuff you can use plates to adjust it up as needed?

Would it be as simple as hey here is a 10HP briggs side shaft lets toss it in the wheel horse? lol

thanks man

Brian

Wheel-N-It

Brian, renuild your motor. Right now I have a K-341 in the repair shop being rebuilt. Its going to cost me about $800 to get it back running with carb rebuilt also. You will have more than that tied up in repowering your WH with a different new or nearly new engine. I advise you to keep what you have, as you know what you have works and works well, and is simple to operate and work on.

Van

• Like 1

MarkPalmer

Any acceptable repower engine will end up costing more than the price to rebuild a K series or Magnum Kohler, and it won't likely end up being better than the K341 in the long haul. Bottom line Wheel Horse's are a tractor that shows their engine, and most of the repowers, either bolt in kits (I don't see any available for this tractor) or homebrews just look silly and out of place in them, and you won't really find anything else that is going to bolt right in. I've put quite a few Honda GX kits in Cub Cadets, but they are the '82 model CC"s where the body metal completely covers the engine and they end up working great and you don't see the engine.

-Mark-

• Like 1

squonk

Rebuild the Thumper!!!

• Like 1

whc160

I am with every body else. Rebuild it !!!! You can't go wrong if it is done right.