Ed Kennell

My 75 C-160 with a sundstrand 90-1140 hydro was getting weak, so I put in a sundstrand 90-2046 from my 72 charger 12 parts tractor. Everything fit up and it works fine.
My question is can the hydraulic lift cyl be used on the 90-2046, and if so ,where do the two lines connect on the 2046 ??
Thanks for any help.
Ed

SousaKerry

I know that they can be converted but I am not sure exactly how. Since the old one is bad anyways maybe do some exploratory surgery and part swaping

Ed Kennell

Thanks for the reply. I will eventually open the 1140 and look for problems. Hopefully rebuild and reinstall. I am leery of opening the 2046 as it is working and seems strong.

The pump and axle are so much different , I just don,t have a clue witch might be the correct ports for the lift on the2046.

If I can"t get positive assurance where to connect hoses, I"ll probably remove the hyd lift and put on the manual lift.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Based on your sunstrand #s it appears you replaced a piston to piston unit with a hydrogear unit. You can use a hydro lift with the older hydro gear unit...if it has (or you can get) an implement relief valve ( Spring 7753 valve 7754)...they are not the same valve and spring used on the piston to piston unit you are replacing.

Ed Kennell

Here are some pics of the two units.

The two ports where I removed the hoses from the weak 90-1140 did not have springs or valves in the ports.

The two ports on the side of the 90-2046 where I think the lift hoses should be connected have a spring and probably a valve under the plugs. I have not tried to remove the valves . Any more help is appreciated.

Edited by CasualObserver
Deleted double pic

CasualObserver

See if this helps.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

By the way.... the spring and cone # 6631 and 6632 cross to new parts. Took me a while to track this down when I was looking three years ago.

Current (as of 3 years ago) Sundstrand part numbers are:

3102027 - spring

3100053 - cone

Check at any local hydraulic shop that services Sundstrand equipment.

jason1069.jpg

I've still never installed the kit. The tractor it's going on is still in boxes on the shelf.

Ed Kennell

That was what I needed. Thanks a bunch Super Mod.

My guess were the hoses connect ( on the side) was totally wrong.

It's clear were the new spring and cone go and were the long hose connects at the rear in the tool box. I can't tell if this is the pressure or return hose or if it matters.

The other hose , the short one connects on the top, but there are two ports there and I can't tell from fig 5 if it gos to the front or rear port.

Ed Kennell

By the way, I just finished loading my truck with spare parts for the BIGVILLE show tomorrow. I'm only 40 mile away.

see ya there.

Sparky

Only 40 miles....how nice. Its 355 miles one way for me.

Mike...........

CasualObserver

You're welcome ekennell. Exactly 1,000 miles from my door to South Mtn fairgrounds, you won't see me there this year.

map.jpg

Ed Kennell

Got my answer at the show yesterday. The short hose goes to the rear top port.

Picked up a new gas tank for the C-160. Great day. Thanks to all.

rwilson

ekennell was wondering if you found a recourse for the spring and cone yet? if you have can you share some info with me as to where to get them?

rwilson

jason them part numbers are stil good.

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Glad they worked for you!

rwilson

yep recieved the parts in the mail yesterday. think they cost about 16 shipped.

Madcat

I'm replacing my stock lift control valve with a control valve equipped with pressure relief, on a Charger 12 tractor. Can anyrone tell me which line

on the Sunstrand hydro is the pressure line and which is the return line. I suspect the correct connection is important due to the pressure relief feature.

Thanks

• Like 1

CasualObserver

Here's the topic. Spring and cone part numbers are posted earlier.

Via Tapatalk 4

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Thatoneguy
      By Thatoneguy
      So I washed my rear end and sundstrand 90-1136 and now the by pass valves leaks when I screw it in past a certain point.  If I screw it all the way in I can sit there and watch the fluid start seeping past it.   I changed the o-ring with an R-04 i believe is what it was.   Do these require some sort of thread sealer? There was nothing on it when I took it out, and when I used the valve to push the tractor in my shop it worked fine and has never leaked. Any ideas would be wonderful! 

• mattd860
      By mattd860
      I have developed a kit that allows a Wheel Horse / Toro hydrostatic tractor to be operated by a pedal on the right side of the tractor. The original forward/reverse lever can be retained or removed. The kit includes everything needed to install the pedal kit and installation is simple with the help of a downloadable installation manual. Additionally, only one (1) 1/4" hole will need to be drilled which can be done by a hand drill. No other drilling or cutting will be necessary. Any tractor with this kit can be converted back to stock without any visible evidence that kit was installed. However, you'll never want to do that

The kit operates very simply and similar to modern tractors. When the pedal is pushed forwards the tractor will move forwards. When the reverse pedal is pressed downwards, the tractor will moved in reverse. If the operator takes his foot of the pedal at any time, the pedal will automatically center itself and the hydrostatic transmission will return to neutral (stop). This enables the operator to use both hands on the steering wheel or one hand on the wheel and the other operating an attachment like a snow blower, plow, etc.

The foot pedal is custom cast in Aluminum, uses brass bushings to minimize wear, and it closely matches the OEM Wheel Horse BRAKE pedal commonly found on 8-speed manual transmission tractors. Modifications were done to the pedal to add the reverse pedal and adapt the pedal to the rest of the kit. For the most part, the pedal looks like it was designed and manufactured by Wheel Horse / Toro. Additionally, a grease fitting has been adapted to the pedal to further minimize wear and tear and if the brass bushings ever wear out they are fully replaceable without having to buy a whole new pedal. 

The pedal kit fits the following series tractors with Eaton hydrostatic transmissions: C-1X5, 300, 400, 500. 

My kit can be adapted to older hydrostatic tractors with the Sundstrand transmission, however, you will need to find an updated hydro cam commonly found on ebay. Message me for more information. 

Here is a link where you can download the installation manual: CLICK HERE

I am selling these kits for $330 shipped to anywhere in the United States. I offer multi order discounts as well. I will also sell to other countries for additional shipping charges to be determined.

If anyone has any questions please feel free to PM me or post your question here and I will be glad to help. Or you can email me at mattdarling02@hotmail.com.

Thanks!

Below are pictures of the complete kit and the pedal installed on the tractor. Some modifications have been made since these pictures were taken. For example, the reverse pedal is now cast in aluminum instead of the steel pedal shown below. 

• olivertractor
      By olivertractor
      I was pulling a roller and thatch rake the other day with my c120 hydro and noticed oil on the back of the fender. On looking closer I saw the plug thing on the back of the pump leaking oil. Any advice on how serious this will be to repair? Anything helps

• Maxwell-8
      By Maxwell-8
      So yesterday I picked-up a C175. She was rusting away as she was stored outside. She had a new to her Kohler K341. @squonk The previous owner indeed better had"LET AN ELECTRICIAN      CHECK his  SHORTS!"  as bad wiring shorted the battery out, and exploded/melted. She has a Sundstrand hydro pump with a Filter, is that normal? By the pump I believe it's a 1980. But you never now for sure as it's made in Oevel. Due to the bad wiring, the engine was in no running condition. But don't think the K341 has many hours on it. The hydro I don't know if it works. She was hard to push. So i lift up one wheel, so we could roll here one one wheel and the diff prevented the trans from locking up.
      So first things to do:
      1) get the engine running
      2) replace the steering wheel, but don't think removing it will be very hard as it's already split in two.
      3) replace the axleseals, the oil leak caused a lot of sandbuild up as she was mainly used on for leveling out a horse track.
      4) clean all the acid and remove all the old wiring to do a full rewiring
      5) replace the plastic seat pan with a metal.
      6)...

I'm looking forward on my first C. 
      It's also my first hydro, I don't know a lot about them and prefer actual gears. Simpler and need less maintenance (parts-shortage). 
      But since I couldn't find another project WH and me hearing a lot of good things about hydro's  on the forum..  I finally took the shot.  

• helpmefixmygt14
      By helpmefixmygt14
      i bought this gt14 and don’t know much about it, got it running good and it really doesn’t like hills or towing anything. help would be very much appreciated. thanks