Sign in to follow this  
Smokey Blaze

GT2500 w/ B & S 11 hp

Smokey Blaze

While cuttinhg the grass with my WH GT2500 Anniversary Special the engine suddenly stopped, followed by a loud backfire, I was cutting my lawn for approx 1/2 hr. when this occurred. This is the original engine on this tractor. I started it and it fired right back up, but when I engaged the pto the engine again immediately stalled, Started right back up and same thing happened. I started it up again and drove it around for a while without engaging the pto. Engine runs fine until I engage the pto. Any ideas / suggestions what could be wrong? The grass I was cutiing is cut on a weekly basis and was not tall / wet.

I had to finish the job with my 312-8.

Rooster

You sure the problem is in the engine and not the mower deck?

Smokey Blaze

At this point I do not suspect the mower deck. I finished cutting my lawn with my 312 and then got back on the GT 2500, started it up, engaged the pto and drove it around for approx 1/2 hr (with the pto engaged) without any problems what so ever. I beleive the mover deck is a 42" it is a rear discharge deck.

Rooster

SO it seems to be a heat related issue?

Smokey Blaze

That is my thoughts as well. I just don't know where to look.

oldredrider

You may want to pull off the motor shroud and check for vermin nests.

They kinda like Briggs engines and a nest will make it run HOT!

Sounds like that might be your problem.

312Hydro

Check the safety switches. is there 1 under the seat? It may need adjusted , mine did as it wore the top of it down. Also check the PTO safety switch, could be a problem there too.

Smokey Blaze

I removed the engine shroud and there was no evidence of any critters, nests or droppings behind the shroud. I cleaned the slight accumulation of gunk from behind the shroud. I'll check the safety switches next

WH252-H

Does this model have a PTO?

I have seen a pto start to rub through the protective coating on the copper coil of the pto. When this happens the positive current from the coil touches the outer casing of the pto and shorts out and kills the engine. Basically it's like mowing at full rpm's and standing up out of the seat (activating the safety feature). If the engine is at high rpm's when this happens the engine will backfire. I saw this on a WH and a JD. Both had visible sparks coming from around the pto when this occurred. Have someone watch the pto from the side while you activate it. If you see sparks this might be the problem. Both were repaired this spring. When shorted out the WH would turn over but not start and the JD wouldn't even turn over. New pto on both and both have been running like champs or like four legged animals often hunted in the fall. I couldn't resist!

As a disclaimer the JD is not mine!

WH252-H

Well, just proved my ignorance!

I believe I'm thinking of the toro GT's. Now I'm thinking the WH are horizontal shaft, no electric PTO. Disregard!!!!

I better search to get my mind straight.

Smokey Blaze

I checked the safety switch beneath the seat and it seems fine. It seems that the safety switches worked well before the engine stalled and they continued to fuction properly after cooling down.