Sign in to follow this  
ONeill

New wheelhorses

ONeill

Hey there,

I just bought a 1967 1257 with the 12hp Kohler (it also had a snow blower unit). And I bought a 1968 Commando 6, which had a siezed 10hp Techumseh (it had a snow plow). I have been looking at several tractors over the years and have become a fan of the wheel horse.

I have started both on a frame off restoration. Currently, I'm at the point of sanding everything down. What i would like to ask is if someone can tell me if the started/generator on the 12hp Kohler is the same as the cub cadets (there were parts for that on e-bay). Or rather is there somewhere I can get a rebuild kit for it. It screams when the engine is running, so i believe its the bearings. Any advise would be appeciated.

Thanks

Brendan

Horse'n Around

Howdy and :WRS: Congratulations on your "new" Wheel Horse's. They are great tractors. As far as cub cadet starter generators being compatible with a Wheel Horse, the answer is no, because the Cub cadet S/G are built to rotate counter clockwise and Wheel Horses S/G's rotate clockwise. The parts like bearings and brushes might be the same for both but Im not sure. I have read here that rebuilding them is easy and the parts are easy to get as well as affordable.The folks here are a wealth of great information and I know that there are a lot of folks here that have rebuilt them. Im sure that you will get a lot more responses shortly. Oh and dont forget :wwp:

John

Edited by Horse'n Around

ONeill

Awesome, thank you for the quick assistance!

corn53

I believe there is a fairly inexpensive kit that is sold on Ebay!! Good luck!

AMC RULES

:WRS:

ONeill

thank you all!

Sparky

Welcome!

What motor is the Commando 6 going to get since the Tecumseh 10 is shot. It was originally a Tecumseh 6 but I think a Kohler 8 would nestle in there quite nicely.

Mike......

ONeill

I was thinking a Kohler 8 as well since i already have the twelve. I am trying to salvage the techumseh with pb blast, but i've got no movement so far. When I get the time i'll pull it apart and survey the damage.

312Hydro

:WRS:

COMMANDO6

Great, so I'm not the only one with a Commando 6. Please replace the 10 HP with the original 6. Otherwise you'd turn it into a Commando 8!

AMC RULES

Tractor of the year.

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: :wwp:

Wheel Horse Kid

Welcome To RedSquare! As you have already found out, this site is packed with VERY valuable information! How about some pictures of your new horses????