Sign in to follow this  
WH520

Hydro jerking

WH520

I've put about 15 hours on my 518 since I swapped the rear end/pump for the Eaton 1100 and it's worked flawless until today. It was working fine one minute then all of a sudden it started jerking also causing the motion lever to move back and forth in my hand. It mostly does it when passing through neutral getting ready to go forward/backwards and when slowing down.The reason I say mostly is because one time it was doing it almost rythmatic while going forward up a hill full speed.

When the tractor's turned off the motion lever moves smoothly and not getting caught up on anything. I checked the linkage to make sure it was tight and it was. I just can't seem to win with this.

Sparky

Did you cover the basics like checking to see that the fluid level is correct. Did you install the proper oil filter after the swap. Filters for cars are not suitable.

Mike.............

WH520

Sorry, guess I should have mentioned that. I did check the fluid and it was right on the full mark. I did change the oil and filter when I did the swap. The filter I used is a Hastings 142. The reason I used it was because I had it laying around from when I got my 520 a few years ago. The guy I bought it off of gave me 2 of them. I used one on the 520 and it never had a problem.

I was second guessing myself when I put that filter on (after reading posts here) thinking I should have went and got a WH filter but I didn't. Maybe I'll go get one tomorrow and change it. If nothing else just for a piece of mind.

squonk

I'm almost thinking you still have some air in the system. Does it make any strange noises when it jerks?

squonk

I tried crossing the 142 to Napa. Nothing came up for a filter. Is 142 the right number?

WH520

I'm almost thinking you still have some air in the system. Does it make any strange noises when it jerks?

No, it doesn't make any noise. It runs good and doesn't loose power, it just surges. I put about 3 hours on it today and it didn't get any better or worse.

I tried crossing the 142 to Napa. Nothing came up for a filter. Is 142 the right number?

That's the number on the filter. The box looks fairly old so maybe it's a discontinued filter? It is an oil filter though, not a hydraulic filter so it needs changed none the less.

smoreau

My 86 417A Has a jerky hydro while cutting the grass. When I move the motion lever forward, it is like there is nothing, and then it would jump forward and work fine. At first I thought that I had something loose in the linkage, but thats not the case. I haven't spent any more time on it as it still works ok, just jerky taking off. its like there is a 1/2 second delay, or something sticking. I want to switch it to mobil 1 and install a new filter, but I don't think its the problem. It is hard to find N on this tractor and has some creep if the parking brake is not set. I'm thinking that there is something warn in the control in the pump internal linkage. I have never taken one apart to see if there are any adjustments. The sunstrand pumps are easy to take apart, but the eatons are a little different. Has any one taken one apart? I would love to see pictures of the inside.

WH520

Well I went and got a WH filter for it earlier and put it on and added an extra quart of oil and it seems to be better. It still surges when coming out of reverse but not nearly as bad, going forward it is smooth again. Hopefully that was the problem. Or maybe there is some air in the system that needs worked out.

Oh, squonk, the number on the filter was P142. Not just 142.

Moparfanforever

My C 160 Auto does the same thing , but i think mine has to do more with something in the linkage. The hydro handle , in some spots , feels like it is sticking , or like you are moving it thru notches. There is no lag time though. Mine does the herky/jerky thing while moving the handle a small amount , but once you set the handle , it is okay.

I have changed the oil/filter and adjusted the friction , but still does it. I am wondering if it is the cam plate , or as simple as greasing the metal thingy that the hydro handle rides against.

WH520

My C 160 Auto does the same thing , but i think mine has to do more with something in the linkage. The hydro handle , in some spots , feels like it is sticking , or like you are moving it thru notches. There is no lag time though. Mine does the herky/jerky thing while moving the handle a small amount , but once you set the handle , it is okay.

I have changed the oil/filter and adjusted the friction , but still does it. I am wondering if it is the cam plate , or as simple as greasing the metal thingy that the hydro handle rides against.

I spray White Lithium grease where the friction nut slides on the plate every month or so. It does make it a noticeable difference.

squonk

That P142 is an engine oil filter. It still may have worked ok until I saw it fit a Renault Fuego! There isn't anything in the world worse than using a part that fits one of those toilets!icon_toilet2.gif

WH520

That P142 is an engine oil filter. It still may have worked ok until I saw it fit a Renault Fuego! There isn't anything in the world worse than using a part that fits one of those toilets!icon_toilet2.gif

It lists on the box what all it fits. It doesn't list a Renault Fuego but it does list Wheel Horse. Guess they were prouder to have WH on the box than a Fuego :lol:

chdinct

Saw this topic thread a few days ago and checked it out since my '93 520-H has been doing the jerky thing for a couple years now. I was going to post to see if anyone had an update but didn't get around to it. Good thing since today I found out what the problem was. Just so happened I decided to adjust the brake linkage/spring since it was getting a little loose. Had to take off the rear left wheel to get at the brake. As I was finishing up, I gave the hub a quick look and noticed it would move about a 1/8+ turn on the axle before engaging the gears. I had replaced the axle seal on that side about three years ago and somehow my hub had gotten loose. Removed it, realigned the key way and tightened down the set bolts. For good measure I did the other side since I replaced that axle seal this Spring, but most of the play was on the left side. The hubs are much tighter on the axle now and when I tested it out the jerky engagement is 98% gone. I think the axle would start to spin and when the slack got taken up in the hub, the tractor would jerk forward or backward. Anyway, passing that on for anyone else with a jerky engaging hydro.

Now I just have to make a post on my new hydro foot pedal I ordered from Matt. I'm loving it so far, especially now that the jerky take off is gone.

WH520

Sorry, I didn't update the thread, I did find out what the problem was. The mounting plate for the rear end had a crack about 2.5" long. It was flexing the rear end enough when put under pressure to put tension on the hydro linkage to engage the hydro.

GEDC0244.jpg

GEDC0253.jpg

SNYFIX

Yep -- was gonna say your mounting plate was cracked/broken. WH had a mounting plate part available that required one to remove the whole back end of the tractor and replace it after removing the broken one and welding the new one on. Obviously very time consuming.