Sign in to follow this  
Zuiko

Difference in Tractors

Zuiko

Ok, When I was a kid, my step-dad bought us a "Wheel Horse" snowmobile, which was built like a tank rode real smooth, but slower than most others (it was older) I loved it though. Any way since then I always wanted a Wheel Horse but had no reason to buy a tractor until I bought my acreage a couple years ago which I found a 1985 417-A, love it howver I ma seeing nice looking 500 series and "c" series for sale.

Can any one explain the difference between the "C" series, 300, 400 and 500 series besides the motor size. Is it worth upgrading to a 520 or 518? I like the looks of the "c" do they perform the same as the 400. Is the 300 series the same tractor except for the engine? Or what is your favorite and why?

Just curious.

Thanks

Sparky

Ok, alot of questions here. The 300-400-500 and "C" series are pretty much the same machine with the biggest difference being the motor sizes although they do overlap. The 520 is the Cadillac of the WH's because its loaded with features including the larger motor and a full set of gages. The 312-A, 518 and 516 are tractors you should avoid if your planning on doing hard work as the tranny is not heavy duty. All these tractors will run the same attachments except the 60" deck which only fits a 520 with a swept forward front axle.

Your 417 should have the heavy duty tranny and is a very capable machine.

Mike..............

SousaKerry

As said above most of the differences are window dressing. I would say that after about 1981 the mechanical engineers at Wheel Horse were let go and they hired designers and marketing guys to replace them. In non engineer speak that mean no real mechanical or functional differences exist however they are prettier and have more creature comforts.

The one innovation that I wish they would have kept was what is known as the shaker plate, early 80's tractors used rubber isolation pads to cradle the motor to take out the vibration. Unfortunately some of the uneducated public (we'll call them morons) saw these in the showroom and refused to buy a tractor that the engine shook when you shut it off. Apparently they would rather feel all the vibration of the engine in the steering wheel and seat pan.

Oh and somewhere along the way they picked up some electrical engineer to give them pretty little flashing dash lights.

smoreau

I have a 85 and a 86 417A WH tractors and they are my favorite out of the 5 workers that I own. They have a LOT of power and are better on fuel then the 520's I have 2 520's and they are a great running tractors, but are GAS-A-HOLICS! That KT17 will do anything you ask it to do and the power is Great! Fuel usage is not bad, and it has the same trans(eaton 1100) as the bigger 520's. If you want more power and don't mind filling the tank often, then a 520 would be your next tractor. as for the c series tractors, They are great also. They are a classic unstoppable tractor and will last for ever if you keep it up. I use my c160 auto for lighter duty stuff and it should be around as long as I am.

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: Sounds like you had a cool childhood with that snowmobile. Jake

bowtiebutler956

:WRS:

Matt :flags-texas:

WH520

I have a 1988 518H and a 1996 520H. Personally I'm more "emotionally attached" to the 518, I gave my dad my 520 when his tractor bit the dust because I didn't want to get rid of the 518. I think the reason I'm attached to the 518 is I've done a lot of work to it to make it a capable machine where the 520 I never did anything to it other than change oil and put gas in it. I will say though that 520 is a heck of a lot more comfortable to use and it seemed like it actually used less gas than the 518.

If you are wanting to upgrade I'd go for the 520H or depending what year, a 520HC.

Zuiko

Thanks for the info, you guys told me what i suspected. My 417-A actually has a 18 HP Onan-Linamr engine rather than the Kohler. It is a gas hog. I Both mow and till the garden and looking for more ground engaing toys.. My plans are to repaint the Horse, maybe buy another one, but I do need one with 4x4.

Thanks again for the info.

6wheeler

I gotta say something here(no kidding?) I have a C-165/8spd and a 520h. If I had my way, my 165 would have hydraulics AND the 8 spd. The 520 is an awesome machine (don't get me wrong). But, the hydro drive is good for mowing. Even with Matt860's conversion to pedal control, I don't think it would be good for garden work. I like plowing with the 520 cuz it has tons of power. But, it sucks holding the hand lever and then watching the plow or having to cheat it cuz of slippage. If it were a standard tranny And hydraulic I could put her in gear and go. And then pay attention to the implements. I do want to rig up a separate hydraulic pump that will drive off the PTO and make some sort of lift system that would work. By the way, mowing with the 520 absolutely rules. I can really go with it and never run short of power. And, oh yeah. The 520 is a pig, PERIOD. It uses twice the fuel the 165 does and its only 4 hp more. But, you know what they say. There is no substitute for cubic inches. If you want the big horses, you gotta feed them. :greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1