tgriffin27

Help ID Wheelhorse 552?

tgriffin27

My GF found this for sale while travelling and it is 160 miles from me so I can't go and look at it till saturday. From youtube videos I have watched I think it is a 552. The owner bought it at a fleamarket last year and has been using it as yard art since then. He says it doesn't steer(you turn the steering wheel and the wheels don't move) and the engine doesn't run(he has never tried to start it since he has owned it. From the pictures can you guys tell what it is and what should I be looking for when I go see it(any problems with these models or parts it should have? He is also asking $300 obo so what would you guys offer knowing it needs a total restoration and may be missing parts? I don't know wheelhorse lawnmowers at all but I love the look of them and want to own and restore one.

Wheel Horse RJ58-2.jpg

Wheel Horse RJ58.jpg

Wheel Horse RJ58-1.jpg

TT

:WRS:

It's an extremely strong possibility that it is/was a 1963 633.

Indy w h

It's not a 552 Like TT says it could be a 633

Rooster

As for value, as in all things it depends. Some would say that tractor is worth $50, some $500!

I would be biased as I love the round hoods, lol, but that would be an excellent candidate for a beginner to Horses to own and restore.

I would offer him $150 then see where he goes, personally the $300 price tag would not scare me away....but I am pretty loose with cash when I see something I want, lol!

• Like 1

Kelly

Yup it's not a 62 tractor, has the 63 up front axle, and with the tool box in the batt tray it probably is a 633, to me $300 is high missing parts not running and needs other work, but it depends on how bad you want it.

stevasaurus

The steering issue could be as simple as the 1/4" roll pin that wheelhorse had trouble with in the 702"s. Just guessing, but take a 1/4'x 1 1/2' bolt to get it to steer. It is in the linkage near where the lift lever works...can reach it easily from underneath. the WheelHorse fix was to put the correct roll pin in with a smaller one in with it. :)

Might be 5/16" with out looking it up...take both, but the 1 1/2" length is the right length and will get you home...or fix it when you get home. :) :) :)

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: I would give $300 for it in a heartbeat, but you have to take into consideration that there are almost no :wh:'s down here where I live. If you do buy it, make sure and keep us updated! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

tgriffin27

Oh I want it BAD!!! So I hope I can wear my poker face when I go and look at it and get it for the cheapest price. Thanks for letting me know what it is/was guys and I will keep ya'll posted once I go and look at it friday or saturday. I am trying to get there early friday as he says he has gotten alot of phone calls on it but no one has came to look at it yet. The way my luck goes he will sell it before I get there,

bowtieguy

Recently I was given a "partial" WH that had a tool box....after several posts (which included TT and Kelly & maybe Steve), my tractor had to be a 502 or 633 because of the tool box option.

I'm pretty sure mine is a 502......the front axle defined it......so I'll agree with all the WH's gurus....there is a good possibility that yours is a 633!!

PS....Matt your $300 bucks might pay for your trip to Missouri and take some faded red suff home with ya!

PSS...repo tool boxes are being made from the original on my 502 in case anyone is interested.

tgriffin27

Did they make the 633 only one year and how rare is this thing? I am starting to second guess my decision to buy it since I just got off the phone with him and he tells me the rear wheels are locked up. I have two and a half hours before I get to his house so guys if it was you would you buy it since all this is wrong I know some of you have said yes already but not at that price. But now knowing the trans could be locked up...............

Kelly

All models back then are a one year only tractor, and it's not rare, but parts from a few other models and a few years will fit it, as for the trans it could be a simple fix like the shift forks out of alignment or brake band stuck, or trans has been full of water and is rusted up inside, I still say around me $300 is high, I can buy round hoods running driving for that, granted that is a few times a year not all the time but non runners are cheaper, but one thing I see on that one is the hood looks pretty good and they are getting harder to find in good shape and nice hoods bring around $75 +

tgriffin27

Thanks Kelly that helps me know what to offer him now.

tgriffin27

Bought it from him last night and I got a really good deal as he was moving today and didn't want to take it with him. Hood is not perfect has some holes. Has 6hp Kohler Engine that is free. The bad is the trans is stuck in gear going to figure out how to take it apart and see what the problem is soon. There seems to be alot of wear in the trans the pully the brake band grabss wobbles really bad when you move the tractor back and forth. The other side of the shaft seems to be worn also. I am hoping you can just put new bushings in and that will fix the wear in the shaft. Took several pictures for you guys to see. Keeps Saying Pictures too big to upload I willtry and size them down later.

• Like 1

Kelly

6hp Kohler tells me it is a 633

stevasaurus

Your trans is a #5025 Uni-drive 3 speed. Just got some very helpful transmission threads put into the Red Square Links section...scroll down to "greatest red square posts"...the 5025 thread has a ton of pictures, and the 5085 thread is a similar trans with videos. :) :) Plenty of the 5025 transmissions and parts running around here.

lapazleo

Paid 300 for a complete running 552 thought it was fair.

Buddyboy

Just because it has a 6hp doesn't necessarily mean that it's a 633. I have a 552 with a 7hp tecumseh. A lot of the old 5.5 hp have bit the dust and have been changed out