Sign in to follow this  
illinilefttackle

656 DECK PTO BELT ADJUSTMENT

illinilefttackle

Hey guys- I'm posting this for those of you that are not WH experts- I know only as much about these machines as I have had to learn to fix mine. I thought I was going to have to replace my belt that drives the mower deck- it was getting stretched and was slipping. While looking at the PTO set up I noticed that there was an extra hole in the link from the pedal to the tension pulley. It could be used to move the pulley further to the rear tightening the belt more when you release the pedal- changed it-works like a charm- Sorry no pics- did it before I thought to take pictures. You can see the pto setup in this picture

IMG_20120331_174057.jpg

This was the before picture-after I moved it into the rear hole-the tension pulley sits more to the rear when the pto is in the nuetral position-I hope this might help someone save the cast of a belt-Thanks-Al

Terry M

was my belt set-up correct for the attach-a-matic drive pulley? This is how it looked and it worked fine. My pulley is on the outside- yours is inside...?? sorry, these are the best photos I had before I started the restore.

post-5864-0-37392900-1336615732_thumb.jp

post-5864-0-99122800-1336616066_thumb.jp

privateer

Nice stack on that techy. I have a 656 with the HH60 and I believe a 32" rd deck and snowthrower collecting dust in the shed. I 'll take a look to check out the setup. I know mine is all original.

CasualObserver

Terry, your belt is incorrect. The three pulleys should be inside the loop. There should be a tab on the pedal to release it, and a spring to pull it back and put tension on it and engage the deck. There should also be a thin metal tab on that middle pulley bracket to hold the belt in place when it's in the disengaged position. This is the best picture I can find at the moment. Perhaps someone else has a better one.

post-37-0-57357900-1336660328.jpg

Terry M

Jason, does one of your tractors have this set-up thats in your picture(not sure if thats one of your tractors). maybe when I stop by sometime this summer, I could take a closer look and maybe take some snapshots for future reference pictures. (?)

Terry M

I dug mine out to look at it and now it makes sence to me :scratchead: . The way the belt was set-up it was actually working backwards.. :angry-banghead: oh well ,,,live and learn. Thanks

post-5864-0-58551100-1336665244_thumb.jp