Trouty56

Hydraulic hoses

Trouty56

I'm cleaning up a Charger 10...making a few changes and you know how is goes....one thing leads to another and so on. I added a hydraulic lift from a Bronco to this Charger a few months ago and a couple lines leaked at the ends. I remembered a thread by CharliesD250 a year maybe more back and started checking things out. I had a hose made a little over a year ago (the shortest one) and it cost 30 bucks thereabouts. So I got pre-made hoses online with 1/4 inch JIC swivels in lengths of 12, 18, 24, and 30 inches.

post-1933-0-56732200-1336224228_thumb.jp

I also need to get some JIC to SAE #5 ORB connectors....straight ones

post-1933-0-57140600-1336224197_thumb.jp

And elbows...4 of each...

post-1933-0-00473600-1336224290_thumb.jp

The elbows installed...

post-1933-0-65420500-1336224260_thumb.jp

I got the elbows locally because they were sold at a different site and with the shipping they would have cost over 5 bucks a piece. Well with gas I guess I spent that anyway, BUT, there is a 1/4 inch JIC elbow (m to f) that could be used on the same site I got the rest of the stuff. I'm going to try it next time. I need 3 hoses for the 160 and a couple for the D.

Price for the hoses and straight adapters....52 and change shipped.

Surpluscenter.com

Thanks Charlie.....

• Like 3

Pollack Pete

Sounds like you're getting a hosing.......just kidding.I'm going through the same hose work on my C-145. Do you have a web address as to where you bought the hose and fittings? BTW,clean looking hydro unit.

Trouty56

Sounds like you're getting a hosing.......just kidding.I'm going through the same hose work on my C-145. Do you have a web address as to where you bought the hose and fittings? BTW,clean looking hydro unit.

Yeah well I am cleaning it...lol

Hoses....http://www.surpluscenter.com/sort.asp?catname=hydraulic&keyword=HHJA

Straight adapters...http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6400-4-5&catname=hydraulic

Like I said I would try these for the elbows from the same site next time....http://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=9-6500-4-4&catname=hydraulic

However there are the JIC to SAE elbows on discount hyraulics...http://www.discounthydraulichose.com/JIC_37_x_O_Ring_Boss_90_p/6801.htm

AMC RULES

:text-goodpost:

Thanks for sharing Bob. :thumbs:

varosd

Bob,

Looks great. which hose did you get? R2 or R3? some older posts indicated that the R2 was super stiff (but could be the other way around)..the R3 was more supple and easier to bend around tight spaces?

another post about using Earls braided stainless steel speedflex looks cool. think its really for brake lines?

So, it was cheaper to buy pre made hoses with straight JIC ends, into a JIC 45 elbow, into a straight JIC/ORB adapter

VS

custom made hose into JIC 45 elbow, into straight JIC/ORB adaptor?

Trouty56

Way cheaper getting premade hoses. I really don't know the type of hose. They are a little stiff but not so stiff they won't bend. Ill be installing them soon. Ill update when i do.

sent via mobile....

bowtiebutler956

I'm forever having hoses made for a couple of forklifts I take care of, and they are expensive! :banghead: Thats a good price you got from that site! :thumbs:

Matt :flags-texas:

smoreau

I got all my hoses from surplus center for my v blade project. It wasn't cheep for all the fittings and hoses, but way cheaper then if I had them maid locally. I think it was around $160 plus shipping for 6 hoses and a box of fittings. If I got them from a local shop I would be over $300. Here is a link to that project.

HorseWhisperer

I just had an implement return hose made for my gt14 locally yesterday.It consisted of the exact parts and pieces you listed.It cost me 42 bucks.I think I might be following this thread closely!Thanks for sharing!

Trouty56

I'll keep an update on the hoses. I'm on my work schedule for the next 4 days but will be back at the project on Thursday. I plan to get them all hooked up by the weekend. My only concern is that the pre-made lenghts are not 'exactly' the same as stock, but, they are close enough hopefully. I have no doubts about the connections. About the operation?? I have to get an engine on the tractor yet. Not sure which one will get the job yet...

pfrederi

Bob,

Looks great. which hose did you get? R2 or R3? some older posts indicated that the R2 was super stiff (but could be the other way around)..the R3 was more supple and easier to bend around tight spaces?

another post about using Earls braided stainless steel speedflex looks cool. think its really for brake lines?

So, it was cheaper to buy pre made hoses with straight JIC ends, into a JIC 45 elbow, into a straight JIC/ORB adapter

VS

custom made hose into JIC 45 elbow, into straight JIC/ORB adaptor?

You want R3 hose the R2 is for higher pressure and is very stiff.

Trouty56

Well I looked online and this is R2 hose. So....I guess I'll see if it will work out OK. It is 1/4 inch hose and I can bend it fairly easy so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Trouty56

Found this site too.....

http://www.hydraulicsdirect.com/6801_SAE_070220_boss_p/6801.htm

It has the R3 hose and looks like all the adapters but you would need a crimper to crimp on 1/4 inch JIC swivels. I have to check the threads on the SAE 5 ORB adapters. I think they may be 1/2 inch 20 thread. I'm still hoping the hoses I got will work OK.

varosd

they will work just a little stiff but boy! what a price difference from "custom" made hoses. I thought the crimper was big bucks?

Trouty56

It is. But if a person has access to a crimper ......

sent via mobile....

pfrederi

Most any hydro repair shop will crimp your hose for just a couple of bucks...Mine does it for coffee and a donut....

varosd

Imagine if one of our WH bretheran had a crimper and we could buy the bulk hose and fittings and at the WH show in June...we could take turns (with proper instruction and advice) make up all our hoses !!!! wouldnt that be cool!!

Trouty56

I had to see how well the new hoses hooked up and of course what they will look like.....so i did a mock up. post-1933-13364360011_thumb.jpgpost-1933-133643602703_thumb.jpgsent via mobile....

• Like 1

dclarke

Looks good from here Bob! :thumbs: We make hoses at work, comes in pretty handy once in a while.

JamesBe1

This is great info. With all of our tractors aging, it's just a matter of how soon your hoses will leak. I don't relish the thought of replacing any of the hoses on my D's or C-145. But this approach makes it a lot less financially painful.

Thanx for sharing.

BTW, is the JIC designation unique to Wheel Horse or do other industries/vendors use it?

Trouty56

JIC is a common hose end. Seems different sites use different size descriptions for their ends and adapters. For example one might say JIC 4 while another may call it a 1/4 JIC. The ORB size #5 is the most uncommon size but follows the sizing chart on this web page.....

http://www.surpluscenter.com/techhelp/SAE.pdf

JamesBe1

Thanx Bob. So is JIC they type that is used on Wheel Horses?

pfrederi

Not always.. The connections to the hydro cylinders are ORB (#5) The swivel connection between the hose end and the ORB fitting is JIC 37 1/4 inch (aka 4). the JIC is a flare fitting of 37 degree. The ORB#5 used by WH is hard to find so you wind up with hose end JIC 37 #4 that connects to an elbow that is JIC 4 (1/4) on one side and ORB #5 on the other.

To add to the fun D series used some ORB#6 fittings....

Duff

Man, my hat is off to you guys who know these things! Wow! :bow-blue:

Duff :thumbs: :thumbs:

Trouty56

Yeah,,,what Paul said....thanks for explaining that. Sometimes it is hard for me to say what I am thinking.

Good to know about the D series although it seems the #6 is more common, The D has a mix of hose and steel lines, with the steel having female JIC fittings I think but unknown size, making things a bit more complicated but still doable. I haven't tackled that bear yet and for now I have no leaks on the D so I let it go till last.