Sign in to follow this  
mountainside

just bought a electro 12 ...how rare are they?

mountainside

Hello All,

just bought a wheel horse out of a pile of rotting leaves...somebody has painted it orange...im not sure but i've been crusing this site and i think its an electro 12....says charger automatic below the hood on the up rite for the steering colum...its my first wheel horse..is it worth restoring? it cleaned up really good and got in running in 4 hrs (bad condensor)...thanks guys

• Like 1

Sparky

:WRS:

Is there an ID tag on it, either just under the dash or to the left of it (while sitting on it), with a model #? That will help us tell you exactly what you have. My neighbor had one that he sold recently that said Electro on the hood and Charger on the hood-stand.

Mike...........

pfrederi

I have a charger 12 and an Electro, like Sparky said Electro on the hood Charger on the hood stand. I suppose what makes the electro unique was the electric PTO clutch and the fancy hub caps other than that there is no difference that I can see.. They are both nice tractors. Before I spent alot of time restoring it I would change the hydro fluid (maybe ATF or Motor oil...some were changed over time...do not mix!!) and filter. Work it to get it warm and see if it has power. Put it up against something and see if it will spin the wheels on pavement with you on it. if it will then it is worth restoring...

Sparky

When you get a chance you need to tell us about the tractor in your avatar. Very interesting!

Mike..........

bowtiebutler956

:WRS: I would love to see some pics of your horse. We like fixerupers! :thumbs::wwp:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

:WRS: :wwp:

AMC RULES

:WRS:

Kelly

I have a 1968 electro 12 they were the high end tractor of the day, with lights, hub caps and the elect. clutch as standard equipment.

can whlvr

:WRS: if she runs and the tranny works its worth restoring,and theres lots of help here

Ken B

I had an Electro 12 that I did a nice worker restoration on a few yrs. ago. That tractor was a favorite of mine and a snow pushing animal, I'll have another one someday..... I'm with Kelly, it was the Cadillac of its day. Was hydro lift standard on an Electro 12?

Kelly

Yes I knew I was missing something, hyd. lift standard also, I have a clean orig. machine here to sell, if anyone local wants one

mountainside

Thank You so much...feels good to belong to this wheel horse club...i will get pics and spects up this evening,,,,thank you all!!

mountainside

ok....the model # is:::1 7235

and serial # is::452964

The trannsmission seems good..i built a chisle plow for another garden tractor i had so i rebuilt it to fit the hydraulic lift...Plowed my whole garden the other day with no slipage or spinning (turf tires)....but its not electric pto...it has a long rod going out too the engine shaft that tightens the pulley against another pully...i want to no what i've got so i can get the right decals on it...oh...it has head lights and only one tail light...thanks...

Cody

You have a 1968 Electro 12, By the sounds of it the electric clutch went bad on it so they converted it to the manual pto clutch setup. Their great tractors, good luck with it
:handgestures-thumbup:

SousaKerry

I've got one in storage also, IIRC it has manual lift? Somebody painted it pink with house paint, runs but smokes like a chimney, even still has the electronic ignition modual and works well, only machine I own without points. From what I understand a working early electronic ignition is hard to find and the parts are pricey, I know most guys convert them when they go bad.

oops I just remembered it's a 12 automatic the electric clutch is on the raider?? I donno I got too many tractors to keep track of

Kelly

oops I just remembered it's a 12 automatic the electric clutch is on the raider?? I donno I got too many tractors to keep track of

Ha tell me about it, try 100 tractors and parts to build another 20 keep that straight in your head, then all the attachments.

• Like 1

mountainside

not to sound stupid...how do i post my pictures on here...not good with computers...lol

mountainside

had to compress pictures..lol...here she is ,,,gave $50 for her

post-7059-0-28877000-1336078359.jpg

post-7059-0-51468900-1336078407.jpg

post-7059-0-99581200-1336078426.jpg

AMC RULES

Looks orange? :scratchead:

can whlvr

good deal for 50,go to the links page at the top of the main board,then go into the first section and you will fin a link to vinyl guys site,he does great repros and very reasonable

mountainside

yes it is...thats why i bought it...i love to restore things...just restored 3 flour mills from the 1890 s...now im ready to start my horse!..it is orange now,,,not for long!....i still need to know for sure if it takes the wood grain decals ?

farmerall

I have a 69 Electro 12 and like the others have said they are great tractors. Mine has the wood grain decals. It looks like you may still have the decals under the paint. If youcarefully try to remowe so of the paint you may be able to tell what decals are on yours.

mountainside

thanks famrerall ....i dont think they are there...someone put pin stripes on it...i think your seeing where i scraped them off...but the one that says charger automatic is wood grained...but is it an original...but thank you..that looks like what i will go with

Cody

Yes that tractor is supposed to have the wood grain decals, looks like a sohid horse. Cant wait to see it restored :thumbs:

mountainside

thanks cody...ill do my best!!!!!