Sign in to follow this  
Hodge71

Mowed with the Suburban 400 today

Hodge71

I spent about 2 hours today trying fruitlessly to get the 551 started and gave up. I took the mower deck off it and swapped it to the 400. I pulled the blades, sharpened and balanced them put them back on, greased the deck and chucked it under the 400. I'm very surprised at how well it cut....especially after I put the blades on the side they belonged and wasnt cutting with the back of the blades...oh well such is the way I learn...the hard way... First time I saw a left and right side blade. I'm also surprised at how the gear drive was relatively quiet. I've heard from others theyre quite loud. One question I do have is what length drive belt should be used for the mower deck? The one on there now is a True Blue HD 248-029. From the way I see it the mower shouldnt run unless the belt tensioner is engaged by unlocking the foot pedal doodad. Well my deck is engaged at all times. It was hard to get the belt on and its even harder to get the tractor started because the of the deck drag now. Other than that I had a great afternoon with the 400. It cut great once I relaized there was an issue with the blades. I say afternoon because its slow going (1 3/4 hours) compared to my 416 (about 45 minutes for 1 acre) or the Scag zero turn with a 72 inch deck I have been using (about 20 minutes). I wont have my 60 incher until the 19th of May when Charles brings it up. I mowed in second gear because the grass was too thick for 3rd. The Kohler surges a bit under load and up hill but all in all it ran awesome and the lawn looks really great too. The best 2 hours I could have on one of my new horsies.

AMC RULES

So...Jeff had all the :wh: fun today, and we didn't get any pictures. :angry-tappingfoot:

:ychain:

smoreau

I will tell you that you get a lot of looks cutting grass with that 400. I did the same thing last year and the neighbors gave me some looks. :icecream:

bowtiebutler956

Sounds like a fun filled day! :woohoo:

Matt :flags-texas:

Jake Kuhn

sounds like it was a great day. Jake

Wheel-N-It

I mowed with the 417 today, and then got the 312 out and drove it around.

I thought about climbing up on my 5 month old 41 horsepower tractor and taking it for a spin, its red, but its not a Wheel Horse so I kept on driving the 312............................. :auto-driving:

Hodge71

Scott I live on a dead end road with nary a neighbor but 1 did stop and he asked my why I was mowing with a roller skate instead of my 416... then he saw the plow still on it.... lol

specialwheelhorse

My neighbors never look funny at me since I mow nearly everyones yard on the block.

So I can mow with a pair of scissors or a ten foot bush hog and they really could care less. They even voluntier to do all my weed eating here and that works for me.

Ken B

Sounds like you had a great day Jeff. I've had some Tecky motors that would give me fits and others that were as good running as any Kohler I've had. In time you'll get it going.