Sign in to follow this  
Rollerman

Pond Project

gwest_ca

You should be able to download the manuals for the ZZ from

http://www.briggsandstratton.com/maint_rep...anual_and_more/

When you get there go to the 'Engine Manuals' location and where they ask for the 5 or 6 digit model number type in ZZ. This should bring up 3 pdf files for download. If it won't work for you let me know and I can send them to you. Many people can't find these old ones at B&S.

Garry

Stigian

Nice project Stephen :D

its always good to see something new, i had never heard of a pond :P

Rollerman

Buzz thanks for the valve clearance chart...I'll put that to good use tonight. :(

Garry thanks for the info on the downloadable manuals...the ink is still drying. :D

Ian you have not heard of the name Pond before? :(

Well Karl looks like we need to add a Wheel Horse history sticky maybe.

I think Ian has some homework to do.... :P ..... :(

nylyon

I'll stick the history post if someone wants to write it :D

T-Mo

That sounds like an idea I had. :D Seriously, there is a model info section of wfm. We could just have a very detailed summary and/or history and maybe stick it in this section or the gallery section. Of course we need someone who knows a thing or two to write it (that leaves me out). :P

Stigian

Ian you have not heard of the name Pond before? :P

Well Karl looks like we need to add a Wheel Horse history sticky maybe.

I think Ian has some homework to do.... :D ..... :(

Homework :( Run for your lives........ :( :o

combatmp29r

Hey what do ya know looks like a tractor :D

Speaking of guns, I picked up a set of HVLP guns today at TSC. 3 guns (2 full size gravity feed, 1 touch up gravity feed), an in line regulator, and a 6" R/O sander. They were on clearance. I love that part of the store :P Regular price 99.99, marked down to 49.99 and then 50% off that. Yep couldn't pass it up.

Stephen just buy a gun, buy some paint like TSC tractor paint in a quart, get a piece of steel and play.

Rollerman

Joel the HVLP guns are nice...I may have to peek around TSC this weekend.

I have a couple of Binks guns...one of the things that holds me back is fear of overspray.

The rattle cans are manageable....I used to paint equipment in the off season & know the guns can paint about 50% your target the other 50% everything else.

I've seen the HVLP guns in use & know they don't have near the overspray.

But I agree & maybe when it warms up a bit I'll buy a new gun , open the doors & play a bit.

combatmp29r

I agree with the overspray deal. Thats why when I saw the HVLP guns today i said yep gotta get them. I haven't used HVLP at all yet, so I'll have to play myself. With them putting more paint on the target I'm sure I'll get some runs at first :D

Rollerman

Okay it's been a while since I added an update on the Pond project.

Well you know how things go...was sick through the weekend & last night with all the rain & frozen ground my basement looked like a set from the movie Titanic. :thumbs:

So here is where the project is at now.....

I have the front end together, the final drive at the far corner of the pic is together, I have yet to weld up the new gear to the axle...but once I do I'll have that final drive together also.

The engine is on the bench...it now has spark, the bore looks good, I have pulled the valves cleaned & lapped them, then reassembled & set the clearances "thanks Buzz", new gaskets are comeing.

Tommorrow when I get back out to the shop I'll start preping the rear rims for paint...I will also finish the last final drive.

0207080038a.jpg

perry

hey that pond progress is comeing along nicely :thumbs: .

im gun shy also :thumbs: . never been much of a good body/paint man.

your doing a great job.

TR_DIGGER

Lookin real good since I first saw it Stephen. Keep up the GREAT work. :thumbs:

Later Ty

T-Mo

Stephen,

It's looks like it's coming along nicely. I can hardly wait to see it when you're finished.

CasualObserver

Stephen that's looking really good... can't wait to see more!! :P

Rollerman

Thanks for the comps again guys!

The Lever Steer was the first tractor Elmer & Cecil produced with a B&S 6HP ZZP engine,Ford Model A transmission, A Rockford over center clutch & 50 are beleived to be produced between spring of 1946 to summer of 1947.

In spring of 1948 the two wheeled walk behind model was introduced.

Many differant models were produced & sold through 1956.

1948 was also the year for the newly designed four wheeled tractor useing a ross steering box, Ford V8 tranmission & clutch, & a Wisconsin AEN engine.

Around 600 of these tractors were produced between 1948 till 1956.

It was given the name change to Ride Away Senior in 1955.

Also the fiberglass hood was only offered in 1955 & 56.

That time line is from the Martino book & Cecil himself.

It's interesting that both the Pond brothers "Harold & Elmer" & Glen Heilman all worked for the Shaw tractor company prior to WW2.

Harold was the first to start his own tractor company called Speedex Tractor Company & gets is recognized as produceing the 1st fourwheeled garden tractor.

Harold had his factory in Ohio...he would ship parts to Elmer in South Bend for Elmer to assemble & sell the Speedex tractor there as well.

In 1946 when Elmer & his son Cecil decided to make the own tractor & sell it under the Pond name.

My understanding is Harold was not happy about this a diputed Elmer & Cecil over the Pond name & actually started calling his Speedex plant the Pond Tractor Company.

The Elmer & Cecil came up with the Wheel Horse name in 1954 & was official by 1956 and used from then on.

kpinnc

Harold had his factory in Ohio...he would ship parts to Elmer in South Bend for Elmer to assemble & sell the Speedex tractor there as well.

It is also important to point out that the tractors Elmer assembled for Harold were two wheel tractors, and that the 4 wheel tractors Elmer and Cecil began building later were of their own design.

There are many webpages I've seen with different versions of how it all got started, and some of the accomplishments and bumps along the way. I decided long ago to stick with Martino's book as far as history is concerned, obviously due to the fact that Mr. Pond himself authorized and contributed to it's contents.

One of the old favorite stories on the internet is that the Unidrive transmission was designed and produced in 60 days. Per Martino's book, it took much longer than that.

Not trying to drag this on, nor hijack the thread. Just FYI for some of the newcomers. I think the natural tendancy is for people to assume the Wheel Horse name owes something to the Speedex company, and it does not. Per THE book, Harold Pond decided to make his own tractor after working for the Shaw company, and then got ticked when Elmer wanted to do the same thing himself. Both men used skills previously learned to start thier own businesses, and no one took anything from the other.

My two cents...

And Stephen, that tractor sure looks like it's coming along very nicely!

Kevin

TT

Stephen, it's looking great! :thumbs:

(almost makes me want to go steal that Speedex "B" from my uncle! :D )

I just have to ask ONE question though....... :thumbs:

Would the cylinder head from the Briggs engine be considered a ZZ Top ?

refracman

Stephen, man thats comin along nicely, :thumbs: your making some good progress on it.

and glad to here the motor sounds in good shape

chevelletown

Wow, Thanks for the history, that was some good reeding :thumbs: I've seen some of the other stories on the web and its nice to get the story told correctly :thumbs:

Gotta love ZZ Top :D

Stephen the tractor looks great. :D You should add some Scotch Guard over that Valspar so the drool cleans of easily. You could probably pay for the restoration by selling chances to drive it at the shows :P

Rollerman

It is also important to point out that the tractors Elmer assembled for Harold were two wheel tractors, and that the 4 wheel tractors Elmer and Cecil began building later were of their own design.

Kevin thank you for pointing that out. :thumbs:

I think a lot of people assume that Ponds own walk behinds were produced first & the 4 wheeled models followed.

And yes the Martino book seems to be the most reputible source for correct info.

I belive in Cecils forward in the book he went on to talk about how flimsy his dad & him thought the Speedex walkers were & felt thay could do better.

Would the cylinder head from the Briggs engine be considered a ZZ Top ?

Not sure if it's ZZ top or the top floor spider condo in this case? :thumbs:

Terry where did you say your uncle lives... :D

Guys thanks for the comps & the shared knowledge of the Pond/Wheel Horse history.

I hope to have it at the show this year in PA....if someone wants to take a crack at driveing it all you have to do is ask.

kpinnc

if someone wants to take a crack at driveing it all you have to do is ask.

Now ya did it! :thumbs:

Me first! :thumbs:

Kevin

combatmp29r

Hey what do ya know now that looks like a tractor :thumbs::D:P

Looking good Stephen. I'll have to make a trip up that way when I'm out Indy way. I'll just let the wife know I'll be gone all day, I tend to BS a while when I get around another tractor guy :thumbs:

Rollerman

I hear it's real easy to go off the back of one till your used to the clutching.

So to help everyone learn.....I'll put my reel mowers on the back...that way if you fall off you will not want to do it again. :thumbs:

kpinnc

So to help everyone learn.....I'll put my reel mowers on the back...that way if you fall off you will not want to do it again.

That would do it!

I just look forward to finally SEEING a pond tractor in person.

Kevin

nylyon

Boy, that would be a highlight of the show, to take a spin on an old pond with a lever. So many great projects that are going to be shown this year! Stephen, hats off to you for taking this on, it's looking terrific! :thumbs: